Official Star Wars Thread - May the force be with you

gospvg

Remember this? 

So I sold it on ebay... for £93 :D

In the initial Scramble after cancellation, people were getting £250-plus. It'll drop even lower now, then in a few years time the price will go back up significantly. Probably back to £300 a pop or more. 

Anyway, I did feel a bit of a heel exploiting the market this way, but consoled myself with the fact that, if they hold on to it, they'll be the ones with a big payday in future! 

I’ve just started an online petition to have Luke Skywalker removed from canon and replaced by Lukas Himmelsläufer. 

3 hours ago, K said:

I’ve just started an online petition to have Luke Skywalker removed from canon and replaced by Lukas Himmelsläufer. 

Bloody Rian Johnson, changing the character further and further from the Luke that I recognise. :hmm:

I remember all that ultraviolent stuff from the Star Wars novelisation I had as a kid - bones cracking, bits of skull flying as laser blasts hit etc. Has that all been removed now? 

I watched Rejoined today, which is a bit of an odd one now. It's a decent episode, and it's still refreshing to see a show handle a same sex relationship without any suggestion of it being in any way surprising or unusual. That was probably more progressive than the kiss.

However I think it somewhat tries to have its cake and eat it by making an issue out of Trill "reassociation", a deeply held belief that Trills shouldn't indulge themselves by reigniting the relationships of former hosts. Doing so can result in exile, which is effectively a slow death sentence for the symbionts who will never have another host. Jadzia and Lenara ultimately feel that this is too big a price to pay, and indeed there's a comment in the show along the lines of "it doesn't matter if the punishment is right or wrong, the cost is too high".

As a sci-fi story in its own right it works well enough, and like I said it's a decent episode, but it feels a bit confused about the point its trying to make.

Oops. Err, live long and prosper!

6 hours ago, Mogster said:

I watched Rejoined today, which is a bit of an odd one now. It's a decent episode, and it's still refreshing to see a show handle a same sex relationship without any suggestion of it being in any way surprising or unusual. That was probably more progressive than the kiss.

However I think it somewhat tries to have its cake and eat it by making an issue out of Trill "reassociation", a deeply held belief that Trills shouldn't indulge themselves by reigniting the relationships of former hosts. Doing so can result in exile, which is effectively a slow death sentence for the symbionts who will never have another host. Jadzia and Lenara ultimately feel that this is too big a price to pay, and indeed there's a comment in the show along the lines of "it doesn't matter if the punishment is right or wrong, the cost is too high".

As a sci-fi story in its own right it works well enough, and like I said it's a decent episode, but it feels a bit confused about the point its trying to make.

Crixus ends up killing Jadzia's girlfriend anyhow. On the forest moon of Endor it looked like.

• 2 weeks later...

They can take the name off the toy boxes but that’s not gonna do much. Although I gather there’s a whole thing between people who (rightly) call the big things with four legs “Att-att walkers”, and other people who weren’t born at the time who think it should be “A.T.A.T”. So you never know. The ship is not actually named in The Empire Strikes Back anyway, is it?

9 hours ago, Darwock said:

They can take the name off the toy boxes but that’s not gonna do much. Although I gather there’s a whole thing between people who (rightly) call the big things with four legs “Att-att walkers”, and other people who weren’t born at the time who think it should be “A.T.A.T”. So you never know. The ship is not actually named in The Empire Strikes Back anyway, is it?

90% of anything in the movies is not mentioned in the movies!

4 hours ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

Slave 1 is named in AOTC as Sam Wessell breaths her (its?) last.

But was that its first appearance? Or was that the first time it was named in any media? And what in what sort of media was the name first used?

3 hours ago, drmick said:

But was that its first appearance? Or was that the first time it was named in any media? And what in what sort of media was the name first used?

It was definitely called Slave 1 on the box of the Kenner-made toy that came out around the release of Empire Strikes Back, so 80/81. The name wasn’t used in the movie though, so it was either named purely for the toy range, or in the novelisation of the movie.

Yeah it was named on the toy box. 

It's only referred to as Boba Fett's Ship in the script so I suspect it was a name given when they were drawing up the concept or just for the toy. 

unnamed (1).jpg

15 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Yeah it was named on the toy box. 

It's only referred to as Boba Fett's Ship in the script so I suspect it was a name given when they were drawing up the concept or just for the toy. 

unnamed (1).jpg

Bad choice of font there, or should we have all been calling the ship ‘Slave Eye’ for the last 40 years !?

9 minutes ago, Jammy said:

Bad choice of font there, or should we have all been calling the ship ‘Slave Eye’ for the last 40 years !?

it’s Roman numerals

Spoiler

image.jpeg.d4faf23c4907f8c52ac236aed3b8ef08.jpeg
“it’s claaaaaarsy, Wayne”

On 05/06/2021 at 07:33, Treble said:

Remember this? 

So I sold it on ebay... for £93 :D

In the initial Scramble after cancellation, people were getting £250-plus. It'll drop even lower now, then in a few years time the price will go back up significantly. Probably back to £300 a pop or more. 

Anyway, I did feel a bit of a heel exploiting the market this way, but consoled myself with the fact that, if they hold on to it, they'll be the ones with a big payday in future! 

I bought that too 😮

Despite being certain it would be nuked I simply forgot about it. One to seal up I reckon.