Official Star Wars Thread - May the force be with you

2 minutes ago, The Bag said:

Those last few episodes of the Clone Wars are some of the best Star Wars moments imo.  As I said before in the thread the music change & sequence in the run up to [spoiler]order 66[/spoiler] is just perfection.

I’m watching Rebels now and would recommend it too.  There’s probably a watch list for it too, but I’m enjoying the sillier episodes too.  It’s got a lot more of the daily oppression of living under the empire.

YES. The tone change in clone wars at the end, the soundtrack, it really adds to the impact of what is happening.

I'm now checking out rebels off the back of it. It seems a bit janky in comparison, but i'll give it a shot.

1 hour ago, IcEBuRN said:

YES. The tone change in clone wars at the end, the soundtrack, it really adds to the impact of what is happening.

I'm now checking out rebels off the back of it. It seems a bit janky in comparison, but i'll give it a shot.

It takes a bit to get going, but then it starts connecting to the wide picture.

I think the main problem with TLJ, is that it is trying to throw away everything that came before - in chapter 8 of a 9 chapter book.

This would have been fine in a side story, but I think a big part of the divide in the fan base, comes from whether people like that overall story, or just view it as a series of individual films.

I imagine Ryan Johnson is the latter. But for people who see it as a saga (and really really dislike the film) this comes across as petulant and arrogant on his part.

• 2 weeks later...

So the impossible has happened. After twenty years of complete hate I quite like the Prequels now. I mean they’re still awful, washed-out, poorly scripted, badly paced, terribly edited and without atmosphere accompanied by some of the worst acting ever committed to film, but I kinda like them now.

The enthusiasm of the kids who’ve grown up with them, now in their teens and twenties, who just love Anakin and Obi-Wan and quote and meme them as much as we quoted the OT is quite infectious. I could never quote any of the Prequels before, but now the hammy one-liners have entered my vernacular. So re-watching them was pretty fun with all that on board, and after quite enjoying Clone Wars (seriously abbreviated watch-list mind you) and Rebels, that helped too. 

Also, there’s nothing else quite like them. That early on CGI, let’s make a movie entirely on green-screen look, is quite unique. All over the place now, but rarely to this scale and never with such old technology. These are such an epicly camp failure, that their ambition is mind-boggling. Even the vacant looks on the actors faces as they act against nothing at all results in a weird zen-like quality.

I’m calling off my decades long campaign to get these de-canonised which I’m sure is a relief to no one but my inner-monologue.

The special editions can still get right to fuck though.

I’ve reassessed them in light of the new trilogy. For all their failures, they’re at least not generic, bland, meaningless garbage like TFA and Rise of Skywalker. 

• 2 weeks later...