rllmuk
gospvg

Official Star Wars Thread - May the force be with you

54 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

I don’t feel they completely ruin them but they do change the tone. 
For me, the worst change by a mile is the Jedi Rocks dance number. 

Of all the changes, this is definately the worst.  I can cope with the Greedo stuff, quite like the ANH CGI and the ‘Noooooooo’ doesn’t bother me, but the Jedi rocks bit is truly shit.

5 hours ago, Don Rosco said:

What the fuck? Is that real? That’s abhorrent. 

Unfortunately it is. I can honestly live with all the other changes, they don’t bother me, except that.  It is truly awful and I cannot understand why George thought ‘I know, ROTJ needs a musical number!’

Not enough :doh: in the world

• Upvote 2

Oh yeah, I have seen that before actually. Never knew it was called that though. Wasn’t there a different tune in there originally, minus the awful CG obviously?

I listen to a prety good podcast called The Soundtrack Show where the host goes through various soundtracks and picks out the cues and the musical language.  They are currently doing a series on The Return of the Jedi and have also done good series on Raiders, Danny Elfman, Back to the Future and both other films in the original trilogy.

11 hours ago, JPL said:

Oh yeah, I have seen that before actually. Never knew it was called that though. Wasn’t there a different tune in there originally, minus the awful CG obviously?

Yep, forgot about that...

It’s not much better to be fair

• Downvote 2

The problem with Jedi Rocks isn’t the song, although it’s much worse than Lapti Nek (which as all true fans know is the name of the original) but the appalling CGI gurning of the two singers. There was always something charming about Muppet Sy Snootles being connected by a thin wire to the mic so her mouth pointed towards it. Digital Sy Snootles flapping her lips into the (virtual) camera lens, not so much.

• Upvote 4

I've been enjoying Darren Mooney's recent comments on his Star Wars rewatches on Twitter and Letterboxd. Some of them:

A ★★★ review of Return of the Jedi by Darren on Letterboxd https://boxd.it/QS1px

A ★★ review of Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace by Darren on Letterboxd https://boxd.it/RiFeL

A ★★★ review of Solo: A Star Wars Story by Darren on Letterboxd https://boxd.it/Twm4N

A ★★★½ review of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story by Darren on Letterboxd https://boxd.it/TwDhJ

But he's very critical of the Darth Vader action scene at the end of Rogue One:

He expanded his criticisms into an article for The Escapist:

https://www.escapistmagazine.com/v2/darth-vader-rogue-one-star-wars-undermines-character/

I haven't seen Rogue One since its cinema release, but I disagree that the Vader attack was a reaction against his portrayal in the prequels. I think it was more a reminder of how a terrifying he'd be in practice to your average anonymous Rebel: a  correction to his current pop culture status as an icon who poses and looks cool, but rarely does anything actively evil enough to justify his status as Greatest Ever Movie Villain. 

IMO it wasn't so much a rejection of Prequel Anakin, but of stuff like these books and countless Robot Chicken Vader sketches, which cuddlified him and made him the butt of the joke.

I rewatched Rogue One last night. That scene was my favourite in the movie. It's still not quite as good as Solo for me and the CGI is terrible in places (let's not even mention the face stuff which is worse than much of the stuff in the prequels)

42 minutes ago, Ivanho said:

It’s on ITV now, and it’s still great.

QFT just watched it.  It is by far the best Star Wars film outside of the original trilogy,  and probably ahead of ROTJ as well in my overall rankings.

• Upvote 5

10 minutes ago, Waggo said:

QFT just watched it.  It is by far the best Star Wars film outside of the original trilogy,  and probably ahead of ROTJ as well in my overall rankings.

Yep.  Top three are ESB, R1, ANH.  In that order.

• Upvote 1

Rogue one is amazing. I think it’s my favourite after empire.  

is there any way that Disney are going to release original trilogy in the original unfucked with versions. 
Been watching them with the kids and watching Jedi with the bullshit dance routine and no nub jub etc. It’s still not right. 

1 minute ago, And said:

is there any way that Disney are going to release original trilogy in the original unfucked with versions. 
Been watching them with the kids and watching Jedi with the bullshit dance routine and no hub jub etc. It’s still not right. 

Not according to JJ (and he’s not happy about it either!)

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a30229553/star-wars-original-versions-jj-abrams-george-lucas/

When everyone was jizzing in their pants at how brilliant the Disney purchase was I’m sure all the hardcore fans were saying it would only be a few months until the blu ray release of the unaltered OT. 

We’re still waiting..............

2 hours ago, sandman said:

When everyone was jizzing in their pants at how brilliant the Disney purchase was I’m sure all the hardcore fans were saying it would only be a few months until the blu ray release of the unaltered OT. 

We’re still waiting..............

“The rights revert in 2020” etc...

6 hours ago, SeanR said:

and not on the nowTV Star Wars collection

just done a £4.99 CD Keys for Now TV over Xmas and no, apart from Solo, none of the new ones are.

I like the Corridor Crew breakdowns of SFX, and this is a good overview of just how special and groundbreaking the effects for the original trilogy are. The level of the matte paintings is something special :wub:

• Upvote 5

On 14/12/2019 at 22:31, And said:

Been watching them with the kids and watching Jedi with the bullshit dance routine and no nub jub etc. It’s still not right. 

If only there was some sort of internet archive.org that someone put a despecialized hd version of the original trilogy on...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

57 minutes ago, Ninja Doctor said:

If only there was some sort of internet archive.org that someone put a despecialized hd version of the original trilogy on...

Do they sell blu-rays?

11 hours ago, glb said:

I like the Corridor Crew breakdowns of SFX, and this is a good overview of just how special and groundbreaking the effects for the original trilogy are. The level of the matte paintings is something special :wub:

Cool video but did that guy pronounce Jedi like “jeddy”? Unfathomable, unexplainable, unforgivable. 

• Empathy 1