IGNORED

Pro Cycling - Tour de France 2022

MalevolentPanda

Damn, that’s a shame. A rare failure from the lead-out.

Still, an amazing Tour for Cav. Even if that’s it, and it well might be, what an achievement to match Mercx. And one Cav would have taken your arm off for at the start of the Tour.

Yeah, the Cav come back and his unimaginable matching of Mercx's record have been the highlights of a less than brilliant Tour. His reactions, and those of his team and, indeed, other riders have been amazing and genuine expressions of raw emotion. 

Shame all the first week crashes did so much harm to the race as a GC competition, and I still have doubts about Pogacar, but roll on next year as it remains one of the great sporting spectacles.

I do hope Cav has the form and opportunity to get that 35th win next time out.

Right, when's the Vuelta? 

For me that is probably the least interesting GT since Nibali's tour win in 2014. It was basically over by stage 8. The race itself was dominated by TJV, Bahrain and UAE in terms of stage wins. No one to contest sprints due to the crashes. It had some nice stories in it if you can suspend your disbelief. I can't tbh.

Fingers crossed La Vuelta might be a bit more interesting. It generally is the most chaotic GT anyway.

On 05/07/2021 at 16:58, Graham S said:

Possible lack of competition aside, times look fast. 

Ultimately we can’t know unless a test gets him or word gets out years down the line. Second guessing which ones are dopers or if they all are is a fool’s game. But sometimes you watch it, and just think, no.

The climbing level of the 2021 Tour de France was lower than last year (mainly because of the bad weather in the Alps and the crashes). The highest climbing performance of the Tour was Pogacar's raid on Romme (~6,4 w/kg for 27:08) and Colombiere(~6,3 w/kg for 21:53). #TDF2021

Pogacar DID NOT reach in this edition the numbers he did last year on Peyresourde and PDBF. Probably because he didn't need to, he wasn't pushed hard enough. But he did confirm his frightening time-trial power showed on PDBF '20 by winning the first ITT. 👽 #TDF2021
In the Pyrenees, some of Pogacar's rivals refound their best level. If they climbed like that to Le Grand-Bornand, they wouldn't have lost 3 freaking minutes, no way! That was was maybe a combination of Pogacar flying in the rain and the rest giving up on Colombiere. #TDF2021

Tadej Pogacar was just a few seconds away from breaking the historic climbing records on Romme, Colombiere and Luz-Ardiden but the only one he did break was Col de Portet. 🤷‍♂️ Carapaz and Vingegaard climbed too faster than Quintana in 2018. #TDF2021

There were many riders who climbed much slower compared to their best level (Lopez, Quintana, Porte...) but also two riders who have set their personal best performances in this Tour: Jonas Vingegaard and Ben O'connor. #TDF2021

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Anyone watching the Tour this year? Wout Van Aert looked in fine fettle yesterday......

Pave today, so should see interesting racing and some movement in the GC standings.

Yeah, I'm still watching. My GCN subscription has done its bit to aid my sanity over the last couple of years. Nice views, people burbling about nothing, look up at about 4pm for 2 minutes of action, I love it.

3 hours ago, Graham S said:

Yeah, I'm still watching. My GCN subscription has done its bit to aid my sanity over the last couple of years. Nice views, people burbling about nothing, look up at about 4pm for 2 minutes of action, I love it.

I just paid for this because I love having Le Tour on in the background whilst I work but hate all the donkey adverts.

I'm already annoyed because it's all cyclists talking with the translator over the top, but the original audio is too high in the mix so it just sounds like two people talking on top of each other 😅 The English one sounds exactly like David Baddiel

Was a manic stage today. As G said after the stage the Ineos boys owe Wout a beer. Pretty amazing ride from WvA as he didn’t look on it at all early on. Pog was incredible though, always 2nd or 3rd wheel without a team mate in sight. Was lovely to see the breakaway win, although felt sorry for Taco. Also nice to have a stage they didn’t spend all the time talking up crosswinds that never materialised.

All that said, I’m not a great fan of cobbled stages in the tour to be honest, leave it for the one day races.

On another note I’m loving the GCN/Eurosport team in general, love Dan Lloyd and Adam Blythe, Robbie McEwan is a great new addition and obviously King Kelly is a legend. However Carlton Kirby irritates me beyond measure and their new virtual studio is shit!

• metallicfrodo changed the title to Pro Cycling - Tour de France 2022

Roglic casually popping his shoulder back in by himself 😮

Pogacar seems to be Teflon coated - just never seems to be in trouble, even with his ‘weaker’ team. Still, you make your own luck I guess.

Can see him potentially stealing some more time tomorrow as well, the finish looks perfect for someone to attack.

2 hours ago, donkeyk said:

Roglic casually popping his shoulder back in by himself 😮

Pogacar seems to be Teflon coated - just never seems to be in trouble, even with his ‘weaker’ team. Still, you make your own luck I guess.

Can see him potentially stealing some more time tomorrow as well, the finish looks perfect for someone to attack.

“I have a technique”

I’ve signed up for ad free ITV as well as GCN. The ad with the bad bike shop guy was annoying me too much.

Big day today! Hard to decide between watching Boris and Jumbo Visma. 

Stage 5 was brutal. Amazing work from WvA.

Imagine if Pogacar had been in Vingegaards position when his bike failed. Jumbo just about saved it, but UAE were nowhere in sight of Pogacar

So is that Pog in yellow through to Paris now? Rog is obviously suffering and Jonas while looking strong I can’t see matching Pog. Ineos are in a strange position of having 4 riders in the top 10, however they all feel a bit second tier. Podium contenders (bar possibly Pidcock, although his time will come), but not one I think could beat Pog. Vlasov did well to rescue today after the crash, and I think he’s possibly the strongest rider on current form outside of UAE and JV.

Difficult to see past a grand tour of France for Pog at this point. 

I think Jumbo are all still there and greater than the sum of their parts, If they can keep the team cohesion they might make Pog work for the title at least. 

And G does look strong, maybe a good day in the Alps, who knows. 

But I think this years race is going to be who gets green. There's still all to play for there. 

2 hours ago, Sidewaysbob said:

But I think this years race is going to be who gets green. There's still all to play for there. 

I have to assume this is sarcasm because Wout has that sown up. He’s going to take more stages and those sprints he doesn’t win he’ll be there or there abouts. That is more certain than Pog winning the GC.

Huge day today potential, which should see bigger time gaps appearing. Will it be another stage for Pog. I think it’s too important a stage for the breakaway to be given enough time to contest the win. I’m looking at Bora to try something today and for Vlasov to try something.

Also interested in whether Pidcock is still there at the end of the stage.

Well Bora did try something, so close for Kamna, but my thoughts about Vlasov were wrong, he was very second rate today. Impressive from Pog again, although at least Jonas gave it a go. Thomas continues to look strong, and Pidcock held on well enough. 

Gadu and Bardet going well though, could one of them pull off a podium from France (I don’t think so, but they are doing better than I thought they would be at this point). At this point we could see a very similar podium to last year with only the Ineos rider being different.

It’s amazing what a different team UAE look when it goes uphill considering they just all disappeared on the flatter stages.

Couple of COVID positives in the peleton, including one from UAE. Rest day on Monday is when everyone is mandated to test. Hopefully we won’t have a Tour de Suisse situation where the Peleton gets decimated.

I’m going with a breakaway taking the stage today, only question is whether WvA will be allowed into it.

With the form of both Pog and Van Aert are showing, this race is looking rather ominous indeed…

I’m trying to formulate a convincing argument this race isn’t already over (assuming they stay upright) but it’s hard to see where the challenge comes from might now. Vingegard looks strong, but not strong enough to dislodge Pog.

I think the only argument it isn’t over is the possibility of COVID positives, which I hope we don’t see. I believe there are still going to be interesting fights for the lower 2 steps on the podium however. If Rog gets over his injuries I’d like to hope he might throw caution to the wind and try something crazy. Ineos are also interesting as with 4 riders in the top ten maybe they will actually try a new type of racing and mount multiple attacks. Is Thomas happy with 3rd being a former tour winner? Yates already has a 4th at the tour. Pidcock is in his first tour, realistically holding out for a top 10 is all well and good but he’s touted as a potential winner down the line, why not just race with a free hand, same for Martinez if his form improves as the race goes on. Gaudu will drop away I think, but Bardet has a good shot at the podium, his TTing isn’t good so he needs to do something in the high mountains to come. Mas for me will just hang around and hope others drop away. 

2 hours ago, metallicfrodo said:

Ineos are also interesting as with 4 riders in the top ten maybe they will actually try a new type of racing and mount multiple attacks. Is Thomas happy with 3rd being a former tour winner? Yates already has a 4th at the tour. Pidcock is in his first tour, realistically holding out for a top 10 is all well and good but he’s touted as a potential winner down the line, why not just race with a free hand, same for Martinez if his form improves as the race goes on.

That’s a good point - if Ineos had two options you’d think UAE and Jumbo could shut both down, but with four riders that might be a struggle to effectively mark them all - especially if one gets up the road early in a stage.

Unless all four have ideas of reaching the top spot and/or podium and start pulling in different directions….

I'm watching it on C4 and to be honest my biggest takeaway from this years coverage is that the Cycle-SOS sponsorship in every ad break is a bit of downer after the exciting action in the race. 

I think Pogacer has got the race won already barring any mechanical issues and even if they do happen his teammates seem to be of a similar build to him so he can easily take on of their bikes.