rllmuk
MalevolentPanda

Pro Cycling - Tour de France 2019

Yeah, definitely not a stupid question though. All the reasons given above are true, but you are quite right to wonder if Sky was a good choice. He could have picked a different team that was more set up to support him, and won more races as a result. That said, he's had more of the team's efforts dedicated to him in other races, and no doubt will again in future. Sky are in a unique position this Tour. They may never get a as good a chance to win one again, and Wiggins certainly won't.

But yeah, Sky are stupidly well funded. Wiggins' contract is silly money and no doubt Cav's is as well. It is shit though. I'd far rather team resources were a bit more equal. No different from other sports in that regard.

Brailsford said that they had an opinion on what caused the crash afterwards but he probably shouldn't say anything until things had calmed down. Cav was probably steaming that some numpty had taken him out again, rather than any problem with Sky.

Yeah, I'm sure this is true in terms of his angry face. Just wondering whether the team choice was also crossing his mind. No way would he have been in that crash if Highroad still existed, and consequently he would have won the stage.

Why, because he'd have been out on the wing, in their train, rather than in the bunch behind some randoms?

That crash was odd. It looks like something red, looks a bit bigger than a bottle , flies out of the peloton towards the grass and just as it goes, someone with a yellow helmet, possibly Eisel, is knocked sideways into the South African guy and they both go down. Wonder if someone was throwing something out and lost their balance.

Why, because he'd have been out on the wing, in their train, rather than in the bunch behind some randoms?

That crash was odd. It looks like something red, looks a bit bigger than a bottle , flies out of the peloton towards the grass and just as it goes, someone with a yellow helmet, possibly Eisel, is knocked sideways into the South African guy and they both go down. Wonder if someone was throwing something out and lost their balance.

Yeah, he would have been where Greipel was, basically. It was a strange crash, normally you can pinpoint the cause with enough slow motion replays but this one does some unclear.

It seems Cav's girlfriend had a pop at Sky's (lack of) protection for him on Twitter, before thinking better of it:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/cycling/tour-de-france/9376656/Tour-de-France-2012-stage-four-Mark-Cavendish-crashes-as-Andre-Greipel-outsprints-Alessandro-Petacchi-to-win.html

“That’s what happens when you take a man that is so harshly marked to the Tour without proper protection.”

“This is people’s lives. If you have not got the intention of making sure you have the team to look after the world champion, don’t just wing it. He is just a man.”

Kind of implies he might not be too happy with how things are going. He can't be surprised though. Christ, they pulled the entire team (including people with decent GC position like Uran) back last year when Wiggins crashed, and had no real chance of winning anyway.

You have to look at it as more than just this Tour for Cav. Look at the team they've given him for the Olympic Road race? I bet few other national teams are set up for one man as much and few as strong as well.

Wiggins has a great chance this tour for GC. He's 32 though so will run out of chances very soon. Cav has far more years in him. So Sky this year is GC and Cav is Olympics. Next year Sky could be set up for Cav. Who knows. I bet he was still pissed when he went down but I expect his anger won't last. He knows the situation.

The crash was unfortunate for Cav, but lets not get carried away. He was involved in crashes more than a few times even when he had the HTC boys working to provide a lead out. The guy is a sprinter. It's a very dangerous part of the sport, crashes will happen.

Maybe Cav is thinking that he'd rather have a team built around the sprints, but that's not what he signed up to. At least not in the short term where it has been very clear the Sky team is focused on Wiggins.

You have to look at it as more than just this Tour for Cav. Look at the team they've given him for the Olympic Road race? I bet few other national teams are set up for one man as much and few as strong as well.

Err, there's not meant to be any conflict of interest between Sky and GB Cycling, remember. ;)

Another sprinters stage today:

PROFIL.jpg

The four man break has 3'20" with 70 km to go.

Err, there's not meant to be any conflict of interest between Sky and GB Cycling, remember. ;)

Oh yeah, sorry forgot that. Completely different entities, of course.

Anyway Cav seemed happy enough at the start of the stage and won the sprint so all seems fine.

Super boring stage saved by a really exciting finish. Chapeau Greipel. I might not like Cav being at Sky but the sprints are a lots less predictable this year than the last few.

I've been typing out a post on doping for a new thread, having been reminded that I said I would by the Leipheimer story today.

EDIT: Doping thread here:

• Upvote 1

Just watching the ITV highlights. Greipel did even better than I thought. Farrar trying to get onto the Argos bus was well funny.

Could Phil have fucked up the commentary any more on the run in though? Jesus, he gets worse and worse.

Greipel may not be on EPO, but I'm fairly sure that using the thighs off a rhino is also against the rules.

And did you see that TrainingPeaks graph from Daryl Impey today? Leading Goss in the final sprint, he maxed out at ONE THOUSAND THREE HUNDRED AND EIGHTY EIGHT WATTS???! This is after cycling 200km of course. That is just staggering. http://t.co/TcCnTBDm

I just turned on too. Anyone know what happened at the sprint?

Matt Goss first of the bunch, then Cav, then Sagan.

God, the changes to the intermediate sprints are the best rule changes ever. The green jersey battle is miles more interesting these days.

Yeah, scary. That's the answer to whether he can win when it's flat I guess. Green looks a long way off for Cav now.

Some big gaps. Valverde, Schleck and that group lost 2'08". Gesink at over 3 minutes. I turned on just as it all kicked off, really.

Its annoying no one seems to be able to make a break from the peloton, the last couple of days I've been rooting for those out in front but its depressing to see them get swallowed up with a kilometre to go. Felt sorry for the guy whose chain broke and don't like the green jersey guys facial expressions.

• Upvote 1

Well that was awesome. Sky and BMC flipping well eviscerated the entire peloton over a single hillock. Schleck did well to stay only a minute down. On top of yesterday's massive disaster, he must be gutted. There are seriously decent GC riders in there 10 or 15 minutes down in a single stage. Incroyable!

Good to see Nibali staying in touch. Oh, the next 2 weeks are going to be very interesting indeed.

+ Loving Sagan's wheelie.

Looks like one short but steep hill to sort out the GC contenders for the tour.Felt sorry for the couple of roders that punctured on the lead up to the final climb and no chance in hell of ever getting back on.

Stunning bit of work done by Rodgers on that climb.

Holy shit, after Wiggins rant at that cameraman who tried to clock him with 5 kilos of Sony yesterday, I do very much love his press conference response to the doping rumourmongers. I badly want him to win now. The battle with Evans is getting very interesting. So closely matched and Evans can do such a good job on TTs too. Shaping up to be a great contest.

Oh and it was great to see a break finally win a stage, was chuffed for Pinot. Not as chuffed as his ultra-exuberant team manager of course. And RSNT seem to have a lot of strong players still in the running. 4 of the top 10 today? 3 in the GC top 11 and that doesn't even include Frankie Boy.