Football League Championship 2012/13 Official Thread

I hope no-one minds me taking the liberty of starting this up but after our longest ever period outside the top two divisions I can't get enough of the word 'Championship' at the moment :D

Plus the fixtures are out so it seems a good time. Here's how the 18th of August looks:

Barnsley v Middlesbrough

Birmingham City v Charlton Athletic

Burnley v Bolton Wanderers

Cardiff City v Huddersfield Town (now playing at 1945 on the 17th)

Crystal Palace v Watford

Derby County v Sheffield Wednesday

Hull City v Brighton & Hove Albion

Ipswich Town v Blackburn Rovers

Leeds United v Wolverhampton Wanderers

Leicester City v Peterborough United

Millwall v Blackpool

Nottingham Forest v Bristol City

So we're the inaugral league opponents of the Cardiff Red Sox (sorry Ork!), would've been nice not to have had one of the relatively few long distance trips for the first game back, dunno if I'll be able to make that myself but that's the way it goes.

Looks a very strong division this year with maybe only Peterborough who you might say are punching above their weight?

Bit early as far as transfers and stuff go but I'd be interested to hear how everybody's seeing it.

Handy supporters reference list which I'll try to keep updated (please let me know if I've missed you):

CJ - Millwall

Dan_tm - Sheffield Wednesday

DeadRussian - Nottingham Forest

Dr_manhattan^ - Wolverhampton Wanderers

Elmo - Millwall

Elseb - Birmingham City

Hellsbells - Sheffield Wednesday

Hereticboy - Hull City

Keenor - Cardiff City

Kensei - Leeds United

Kyletherobot - Barnsley

LoGoWolf - Wolverhampton Wanderers

McMond - Sheffield Wednesday

Merman - Ipswich Town

Milko - Leeds United

Mirodo - Sheffield Wednesday

Monobrow - Nottingham Forest

Moosden25 - Huddersfield Town

OneDaveBamber - Blackpool

Ork1927 - Cardiff City

Pants McSkill - Millwall

Plissken - Burnley

Razzle - Leicester

Rev - Sheffield Wednesday

Rsdio - Huddersfield Town

Sirloin - Leicester City

Smithstock - Middlesbrough

SomethingWitty - Ipswich Town

Steely - Middlesbrough

Timmo - Derby County

Waddie - Sheffield Wednesday

Thanks to Pants for kicking it off!

Go Red Sox!

Should be a very competitive season.

As a Cardiff fan I'm eagerly awaiting lots of lovely new signings to act as lube for the big hard 'rebranding' bumming we've taken. Whispers of Bellamy's return are encouraging, but would be surprised if it happens. Anybody with pace would be a good start.

Fun times ahead!

Understandably some Wednesday fans are getting a bit carried away with the notion of trying to emulate the likes of Norwich and Southampton and make the double jump straight through to the Premiership, but personally I'd settle for just not having to fear relegation all season. A comfortable top-12 finish would do me, with the current squad at least, but with a few more signings; who knows.

We had Ben Marshall on loan from Stoke for the first 6 months of last season in League One and he ripped that division to shreds for us, I guess most of you Championship boys will have noticed the impact he made up here after Leicester bought him. I mention it because we had another loan winger for the final 4 months of the season and it's arguable that he made an even bigger impact than Marshall, so getting him (Michail Antonio from Reading) signed up would go a long way to securing our safety in the league next season.

I'm going to leave this post here and try and keep it updated with who supports who - it can be a bit of a bind wading through posts just stating "we" and having no other ways of identifying a team. :D

CJ - Millwall

Dan_tm - Sheffield Wednesday

DeadRussian - Nottingham Forest

Elmo - Millwall

Hereticboy - Hull City

Keenor - Cardiff City

McMond - Sheffield Wednesday

Merman - Ipswich Town

Mirodo - Sheffield Wednesday

Moosden25 - Huddersfield Town

OneDaveBamber - Blackpool

Pants McSkill - Millwall

Plisskin - Burnley

Rsdio - Huddersfield Town

Sirloin - Leicester City

Timmo - Derby County

Owls fan here. Yeah some people are getting too carried away already, bit early to judge yet as the signings won't start kicking in until July onwards, but I agree... quitely confident we can avoid a relegation battle and hoping for mid table at least. As long as we keep some of the players form last year (e.g. Antonio).

I think we'll need quite a few good signings to stay up - despite scraping through the playoffs we've generally been quite poor this last year with bitty football and a remarkable amount of points thrown away from winning positions. Obviously if Reading would let us keep Sean Morrison it'd be a good start as the lad's been a colossus and helped Peter Clarke regain his past form into the bargain. I'd say a left back, a right-footed winger (George Boyd pls) and a striker with pace are also needed and that's before you even get to easily our biggest problem area - central midfield.

It's quiet enough now but I think it'll end up being a very busy summer for us.

I'm going to leave this post here and try and keep it updated with who supports who - it can be a bit of a bind wading through posts just stating "we" and having no other ways of identifying a team. :D

Good idea - should've thought of that myself :)

Is that going to be a relegation decider, or just a two-way fight to avoid finishing bottom? ;)

It'll be a draw, which will be all both teams need to secure championship football for another season, and it'll send Wednesday down.

Ipswich Town fan here, hoping to pluck the chickens (Blackburn) on opening day. But as Paul Jewell said in response to the fixtures list, there are EIGHTEEN clubs with Premiership experience in the Championship this year, so going up will be tougher than ever...

Another Wednesday fan here. Agree we need to get Antonio on board. By all accounts he seems to want to come back, so it's just a matter of Milan loosening the purse strings and putting up the cash needed to get him.

Not sure about Ranger - seems like Barnsley are after him as well. I can't say I was all that enthused by him last season, so I wouldn't break the bank to get him.

Forest Fan here. The rest of the Red Army will be along soon to take over this thread...

As it stands, another season avoiding relegation is about all we might have to hope for. No recent news on the club being bought, and loads of players out of contract :(

edit: DeadRussian in before me! I told you we'd be taking over :D

I don't like Bruce.

But to expand my post a bit, I can't seem to work out whether or not he actually has any money to spend. I'm also slightly worried that Nigel Pearson might come along and take away all the good young players he signed while he was here. I'm not that optimistic for this season, personally. I predict mid table and to be forever scarred from overexposure to Steve Bruce's face and voice.

Old squidgyface was probably gutted to see us go up. He'll won't be in for the warmest of receptions back in Huddersfield - rightly or wrongly. His son even copped a fair amount of shit when he came on loan to us which was taking it a little bit far I thought.

I would like to register myself as the forums only Barnsley fan please!

I'm a little unsure about next season so far, it looks like we've just signed up Jacob Mellis and we are after Mido, who are two notorious trouble causers so we could be in for a fiery season.

I'm looking forward to beating all of the Yorkshire teams in the division like normal though.

Too hard to tell about Leicester as yet, as I expect out team will massively change before the first round of fixtures. Sol Bamba has left for Turkey today, and it's a shame to see him go as I think he was one of our best centre backs. Despite both falling out of favour, him and Mills were our best defensive pairing last season, and both are likely to leave this summer. Pearson likes a certain type of defender though, Mills and Bamba were there as they were quick and Sven liked a high defensive line, whereas Pearson prefers solid stoppers. He's a bit like O'Neill in that.

James and de Laet from Man Utd are interesting buys, Pearson certainly likes his Old Trafford reserves as buys, with Drinkwater coming in the winter, and having bought a couple for Hull. James could be the key for us this season, as it's the midfield that looked shaky last season. I would like to see a decent defensive midfielder come in, as none of our current ones really seem to fit into that slot. Up front I am pretty happy with Nugent, Beckford, Waghorn and Vardy. Wouldn't be surprised to see Beckford move on though.

There will be more coming in though, been linked strongly with a couple from Hull, which is no surprise as Pearson likes to bring in players he's had before as he did with Hobbs and Fryatt at Hull. I guess the main question though is how long the Thais give him if Leicester don't start well. I wouldn't be at all shocked if come November we are going through the yearly ritual of finding a new manager.

And I fear for Forest this season, haven't you only sold like 3000 season tickets so far? With questions over the ownership of the club, a manager who hardly excites and a squad that badly needs overhauling you could see the worst happening. Millwall also need to get some players in I think, they looked boned for a while last season when Henderson was injured.

For promotion, you have to fancy Wolves to go straight back up, Bolton as well. Blackburn could do anything, they could win the title, they could implode and get relegated again. Any one of about 15 teams could go up through the play offs though.

We're in some sort of massive limbo until the new owners are confirmed. Until that's sorted, we've nothing to spend and Nigel Doughty's Estate will only support us until the end of the summer. The squad is short on numbers and we can't offer new contracts to the out of contract players - Luke Chambers, Paul Anderson and Joel Lynch. I'd expect them all to be leaving unless they're tied down soon.

Cotterill did the job he came in to do last season, so I was looking forward to seeing how he did with a full pre-season behind him, but with all that's going on, he's going to struggle. He's hardly the most adept manager either.

The only high points going in are we've still got Jamaal Lascelles, who Spurs and Arsenal are still fighting over. There was a rumour he'd been sold for £5-6 million and was to be loaned back to us, but I hope we can hold on to him. It's a lot of green for someone who's only played a handful of professional games though. Also keep an eye on Kieron Freeman who was on loan to Notts County last season. He looks useful too.

Now, to try and sell Lewis McGugan for as much as possible to some poor chump as quickly as possible.

Leeds look to be in a pre season shambles again. Half the squad on the transfer list, the better players unlikely to sign new contracts, a coupleof not particularly exciting buys, silence on anyone else. Plus new for 2013: talk of getting sold and/or the manager leaving.

Playoffs seem like a distant dream, please just don't screw things up so badly we get another relegation. That first season back in the Championship seems like such a wasted opportunity now. if only we could have been able to maser the defending thing.

Like most in here Im not expecting big things from my team (Middlesbrough!) next season. Last season was the end of our parachute payment and our best opportunity to date of a play off position was squandered.

All I hear from Mowbray at the moment is how he is trying to manage a very tight wage budget! I think we will see a few more outs before the start of the season, but homefully Mogga can work a bit of magic and nurture a few of our youth players and get them performing.

I would be a happy man if we could challenge for the play offs. The good thing about the championship is it really is anyone game, its all about catching momentum and the skys the limit as Reading showed last season, I can only dream of such things!

Colin leaving? Is he missing his farm?

Rumours he's unhappy with a lack of funds and being sold a pup. He's denied it but definite change in talk from 'promotion' to 'finishing as high as we can'. Woukdn't surprise me if he walked two days before the first game, but I'm in a bad mood with fotball at the moment.