IGNORED

Movie confessions

Tangent

Isn't V for Vendetta pretty highly regarded though (certainly based on its IMDb score if nothing else)? Personally I thought it was incredibly tedious just like every other sorry Moore adaptation, so that can be my confession. I also despise Life is Beautiful, find nearly all of Bresson's films boring and I dislike most of the highly regarded Italian films of the '60s (rich people suffering from ennui just isn't interesting).

I flatter myself that I have relatively good taste in films. However...

I know all the words (like, every single one) to Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, which might be my favourite film of all time. If I ever receive a text that simply says 'To the Tweeeeees!' from a select band of friends, then I know it's on the TV somewhere in the world.

I know I'm supposed to watch all these miserable indie films - like The White Ribbon - but I get bored.

I want to punch Seth Rogen in the face. I also don't find Will Farrell remotely amusing.

I don't like Star Wars (and not because I'm a woman - they just aren't very interesting).

I genuinely love Miss Congeniality (shoot me now).

My boyfriend and I bonded over 'movies that feature Paul Rudd' - a compromise as I hate fratboy gross-out films and Will Farrell, but love Paul Rudd - rather than the 'indie classics' that we let everyone presume brought us together. Only he (and now rllmuk) knows about my compulsion to watch any film that features The Rock.

Chalk me up as another who fell asleep during Apocalypse Now.*

*I also wrote part of my dissertation at Uni about it (and Heart of Darkness) without actually bothering to watch the middle hour.

I teach that book every year and I can tell you now, you missed nothing but trees. That's another shameful confession - I really don't like Heart of Darkness or any films related to it.

I genuinely love Miss Congeniality (shoot me now).

It is a great film, but I found the sequel to be absolutely awful :( I enjoyed the original Legally Blonde as well, but never bothered watching the sequel.

Here's a few I can think of, off the top of my head

I've never seen any Hitchcock, Woody Allen or Kubrick films (I intend to rectify this) or any classics such as Gone with the Wind, It's a Wonderull Life, Casablanca, Lawrence of Arabia etc

I've never seen Blade Runner

I've never seen Schindlers List

I like movies staring guys like Nicholas Cage, Vin Desiel, Ryan Reynolds and The Rock

I thought Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind was rubbish

I like Armageddon

I didn't mind Die Hard 4 for what it was. Would have preferred it not to be classed as a Die Hard but I didn't hate the film itself.

I like Grease

I thought American Beauty was dull

I didn't really like Kill Bill.

I thought American Beauty was dull

Sort of, but not quite. It's beautiful. Check out this moving scene with a plastic bag.

I was moved almost as much as the plastic bag itself!

Then the twist at the end! Spoilers, because there's no chance anyone will see this one coming. It's emotional impact strikes just when you least expect it to and turns your views on world upside down.

The homophobic man was GAY ALL ALONG.

I'm still reeling.

Sort of, but not quite. It's beautiful. Check out this moving scene with a plastic bag.

I was moved almost as much as the plastic bag itself!

Then the twist at the end! Spoilers, because there's no chance anyone will see this one coming. It's emotional impact strikes just when you least expect it to and turns your views on world upside down.

The homophobic man was GAY ALL ALONG.

I'm still reeling.

I like Greece

Grease is the word.

Not only did I love V for Vendetta but I preferred it over the graphic novel.

One of my favourite "if I flick over and it's on, I'll watch it to the end" films is The Core.

The end of Armageddon makes me a little bit teary (especially the "missing man" formation as they walk and the big pictures at the wedding).

I just watched Ghost again and the evil shadow ghosts at the end are actually pretty scary.

Please dont neg me for this one!

I really really really didnt like District 9. Thought it was utter pish and I went in with a really positive vibe.

Also, I really like all those Arnie films from the 90s/00s that nobody else does, End of Days, Collateral Damage, Last Action Hero, The Sixth Day, heck, even Eraser is pretty good.

I like most of them Arnie films too sandman, especially End Of Days. That film's great fun. Only one I dislike is Collateral Damage, probably my least liked Arnie flick. I'm still really disappointed we never got to see the ridiculous filmed ending of Arnie shooting at the Devil with lots of weaponry for End Of Days though :(

2001: A Space Odyssey is possibly my biggest ever film disappointment given I love Kubrick and Sci-Fi. I didn't exactly hate it but find it incredibly slow and ponderous. Part of this may be down to having read the book first and thus knowing the whole story.

edit: It isn't a very long book either.

Never seen Godfather, Blade Runner, Taxi Driver, Raging Bull.

Avatar was boring dreck. Lord of the Rings was also boring dreck spread across 3 films. Harry Potter was even more boring dreck spread across 7/8 films...

I love the Friday/Next Friday/Friday After Next films starring Ice Cube and Chris Tucker. Clerks 2 is better than the first Clerks. I liked the last Final Destination film that came out.

I get choked up watching The Incredibles and Despicable Me.

Robocop and Total Recall are classics and shouldn't be messed with. Ever.

I could have written this post barring the bit about Harry Potter.

The United States of Leland is probably the most powerful film I've ever seen.

I have enjoyed the following Dane Cook films (more than a lot of the critically-lauded 'comedies' of recent years): Employee of the Month, Good Luck Chuck and My Best Friend's Girl.

Possibly, but in most of his films (well, Groundhog Day, Scrooged and Ghostbusters) he is just an unlikeable git. I mean, in Ghostbusters he electrocutes a guy just for the hell of it. I don't want to see him succeed because he's a cock. And I don't give a shit about going on a journey or some such.

There is a John Cusack movie called Pushing Tin which has the same problem.

Anyway, confessions.

I think the movie version of V for Vendetta is brilliant.

The second best John McTiernan movie is not Predator. It is The Hunt For Red October.

The Italian Job (2003) is a better film than The Italian Job (1969).

The Matrix is a pile of fourth form bollocks dressed up to look snazzy. Men In Black did the same idea in 20 seconds as a throwaway gag.

I've never seen a single David Cronenburg movie.

Christian Bale is the worst thing about the recent Batman movies.

Sandra Bullock is sexier than most major film actresses of the 90s, especially Kidman, Roberts or Stone.

Pushing Tin is one of the worst fillms I've ever seen. Conceptual nightmare - maverick air traffic controller. No. Just, no.

Bill Murray I'd agree with, his characters are like what Ferris Bueller would have grown up into if the little cunt ever got the chance.