Movie confessions

Tangent

That's definitely part of the problem. I watched Suspicion the other night with absolutely zero foreknowledge and quite liked it, apart from the studio-enforced ending.

I did read a fun theory about Vertigo that freshened it up a bit for me. Do we need spoiler tags?

Everything after the scene with Midge in the hospital takes place in the catatonic Scottie's tortured, guilt-wracked mind. The keys to this apparently being Midge saying "you don't even know I'm here" and then not appearing in the rest of the film, and the ever so convenient nature of the doppelganger plot, giving him that second chance at putting everything right.

I kind of want to watch it again now to see if that works.

I'm going to make a confession on behalf of my fiance, she's never seen ET "properly" (she's seen it but never sat down and actually watched it)

However, this error has been rectified.

I'm in amazement, we've been together 10 years and last week I found out she's never seen Reservoir Dogs now this week it was ET. It's almost like I don't know her!

I quite like Chris Tucker in The Fifth Element.

That's because he's great in The Fifth Element

I also love Contact - every time I watch it I'm blown away by how good it is.

I've watched it twice and I weeped a little bit each time when she is marvelling at the majesty of the universe and says

''they should have sent a poet''

Surely your biggest confession should be giving Predator 1 and a half stars and calling it "massively dull". For that one review alone I think you win this thread.

Jesus H Christ!

I know this is going to make me sound like an old fart who over-analyses what is just a ridiculously dumb and overblown action film but this is the movie confessions thread so it makes sense to add it here: I really had a problem with Bad Boys II because the action wasn't merely over the top it was bordering on the vulgar. Their quest is to stop the trafficking of a dangerous drug which we see kill the grand total of one person in the entire film. They do this by obliterating an entire shanty town in Puerto Rico thus depriving poor people of their homes, running over corpses heading for the morgue and killing 63 people on screen. Yet they do all this to stop a drug that is shown not only to have a very low mortality rate but when taken in copious amounts (as Martin Lawrence does) actually looks like good fun. Commando has a ridiculous body count but at least John Matrix's stop-at-nothing quest makes sense.

Oh, total agreement here. Bad Boys 2 is vulgar to say the least. It's one of the few films of any kind that have ever sorta offended me. It displays a fascination with death and dead bodies that borders on the disturbing, it's a film which happily lols at startling acts of violence.

I can't remember where, but I remember reading an absolute stormer of a review which totally slated it for these reasons. All this mucking around with the dead woman's body and lolling at her tits. It's an awful, ghastly, overblown mess of a film.

I really enjoyed the original, but no.2's opening was so OTT I thought it was a movie within a movie. It's very unsettling.

It's got shades of 1941, sure. It's fun, I think, early on. but when it becomes "won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?" it's just downhill all the way. Plus it wrecks the romance of the first one by having such a tedious damsel.

Another confession for me is that I can't stand Disneys animated musicals. Obviously I don't hate everything Disney since they've done so much but all their big budget animated musicals I fucking hate. Things like The Lion King etc I just don't like in the slightest. I'd rather watch a Studio Ghibli film instead. The thing I loved most from Disney, especially as a kid, was Herbie. I love that little car so much.

Oh, total agreement here. Bad Boys 2 is vulgar to say the least. It's one of the few films of any kind that have ever sorta offended me. It displays a fascination with death and dead bodies that borders on the disturbing, it's a film which happily lols at startling acts of violence.

I can't remember where, but I remember reading an absolute stormer of a review which totally slated it for these reasons. All this mucking around with the dead woman's body and lolling at her tits. It's an awful, ghastly, overblown mess of a film.

You've put me in the mood to watch Bad Boys 2 again Smitty :lol: Where's my bluray :(