Movie confessions

Tangent

Another big confession for me is that, with the exception of the Transformers films and Pearl Harbour, I fucking love Michael Bays movies. I think Bad Boys 2 is genuinely brilliant in its own batshit insane way, and it's one of my favourite action films fullstop in recent years. I really, really want a bluray of it quite badly :( I want Bay to stop ruining my childhood memories with a series he doesn't understand and get back to cops quipping shitty one liners and shooting other fools quite violently whilst swearing a lot.

That's exactly how I feel. I really wish that Bay had never done the Transformer pictures. Bad Boys, The Rock, Armageddon, The Island, Bad Boys 2- great run of movies. I can't stand the Transformers ones though, and the thought of him doing a fourth, when he could be chucking corpses out of airplanes or something is a bit depressing.

There's a great bit on the Armageddon commentary where he explains why Ben Affleck's moon buggy has guns attached, pointing out that this might seem a bit weird to why NASA would ever arm a buggy like that- and he explains as they were designing the scene a guy from marketing stopped by and mentioned that toys with guns on them sell more than toys without guns, and they were planning on making Armageddon toys... so they added guns on it. And he even sounds a bit ashamed of that, but also slightly proud.

Sean William Scott is a decent comic actor, I didn't even think that would warrant a confession tbh. It's Chris Klein who's terrible though saying that his turn in Streetfighter The Legend Of Chun Li is fucking AMAZING!

Sean William Scott is a decent comic actor, I didn't even think that would warrant a confession tbh.

Well it's more that his films are rarely critically-appreciated.

And I know I started it (no idea why I put a hyphen in there) but it is Seann William Scott. I won't correct my post though so that my idiocy remains.

I remember that the reviews for Bad Boys II weren't good, and looking at the IMDB, most people agree with that opinion, I didn't watch it until several years ago. I was really impressed by the original, the chemistry between Big Willie and Big Momma is gold so didn't want to be let down if the sequel was indeed as bad as people were claiming.

I really, really enjoyed it, Bay knows how to shoot this type of film, and watching 2 black men wisecracking while blowing shit up never gets old :D

"We ride together, we die together, Bad Boys 4lyfe"

They better get around to the often-discussed 3rd film before one of them gets too old for this shit.

The film is sort of a biopic, the main character doesn't come across as some mentally challenged person to me, he just knows his limitations and what his strength was, which was taking a hit and dishing one out. Really good film, some very funny bits I found, and his mate has amazing verbal use of language (yeah, swearing, not big or clever, blah blah).

I know this is going to make me sound like an old fart who over-analyses what is just a ridiculously dumb and overblown action film but this is the movie confessions thread so it makes sense to add it here: I really had a problem with Bad Boys II because the action wasn't merely over the top it was bordering on the vulgar. Their quest is to stop the trafficking of a dangerous drug which we see kill the grand total of one person in the entire film. They do this by obliterating an entire shanty town in Puerto Rico thus depriving poor people of their homes, running over corpses heading for the morgue and killing 63 people on screen. Yet they do all this to stop a drug that is shown not only to have a very low mortality rate but when taken in copious amounts (as Martin Lawrence does) actually looks like good fun. Commando has a ridiculous body count but at least John Matrix's stop-at-nothing quest makes sense.

I know this is going to make me sound like an old fart who over-analyses what is just a ridiculously dumb and overblown action film but this is the movie confessions thread so it makes sense to add it here: I really had a problem with Bad Boys II because the action wasn't merely over the top it was bordering on the vulgar. Their quest is to stop the trafficking of a dangerous drug which we see kill the grand total of one person in the entire film. They do this by obliterating an entire shanty town in Puerto Rico thus depriving poor people of their homes, running over corpses heading for the morgue and killing 63 people on screen. Yet they do all this to stop a drug that is shown not only to have a very low mortality rate but when taken in copious amounts (as Martin Lawrence does) actually looks like good fun. Commando has a ridiculous body count but at least John Matrix's stop-at-nothing quest makes sense.

They sort of justify this part in a very very brief one liner where someone says they are all drug shacks being used to make the drugs and not for people living there. It's all bollocks though :D

Hell I don't even disagree with you but for me that's part of the charm. It's completely and utterly stupid in what they are doing. I still laugh out loud when the film turns into 'Bad Boys In Cuba'. Martin Lawrence is upset, Will Smith says to him the words about '"We ride together, we die together, Bad Boys 4lyfe", the rest of the police officers come in and say 'yo we want in!' and THEN just as they are about to take off the Captain appears saying 'Yo fellas I've got a CIA package for you!' :lol: It's utter horsecock but it lives by its own rules and I love it for that. Sure the ending has them just outside Guantanomo Bay, the bad guy gets shot in the head and THEN lands on a mine and explodes in half. I'm still smiling thinking about it :D

The best thing about the film at the time was that we were getting an awful lot of fucking dire PG-13 action films then along comes Bay with his power and money just goes 'FUCK IT!' and makes a film so crass, silly and vulgar I can't help but it love for it. I could never sit here and tell you it's a 'good' film so to speak but it's so entertaining I don't care.

Things like the haitian shootout where Bay uses a funky spinning camera to pretty good effect. It's really surprising to see how bad his camerawork has been since then, some of the Transformers stuff has been shocking:

The film is sort of a biopic, the main character doesn't come across as some mentally challenged person to me, he just knows his limitations and what his strength was, which was taking a hit and dishing one out. Really good film, some very funny bits I found, and his mate has amazing verbal use of language (yeah, swearing, not big or clever, blah blah).

It's really funny when the plastic bag blows in his face, too.

I certainly appreciate why others enjoyed the ridiculousness of it all.

Just like I can completely understand it why someone wouldn't like it :) I just wish he'd go back to that style of film though :( I suppose the only good thing here is that because of how powerful he is (probably even more so due to Transformers) he could easily do another film as violent and as overblown again. I just hope he chooses to sometime in the future when he stops fucking up Transformers.

Ok i'm watching a goldie from my childhood.

Iron Eagle

A kid invades iran in a f16, kills everything to the soundtrack of Queen and saves his dad from an arab Poirot trying to cut his head off.

Its beautiful.

It comes from that genre of films, the "we could kill everything so easily if it weren't for politics, man" ones, or as one review on the wiki wrote it "achieves a kind of perfection of awfulness that only earnest effort can produce." which describes it brilliantly.

It might be thunderbirds models for some of it but its got some great wee bits.

On the Canadian netflix if you crazy enough.

I know this is the confession thread and it's not about arguing or disputing, but come on people... ET!

The film is beautiful. I watched the last hour the other day on TV for the 500th time and even though I know every word and scene I was still punching the air when his chest glows, cheering the lads on when they evade on the bikes, almost crying at the "Come!"- "Stay" exchange. Just thinking about it actually is powerful. Sure I enjoy watching Goodfellas and Empire Strikes back for the millionth time but ET is pretty much the only thing I can think of that consistently evokes emotions after all this time and countless repeat viewings.

It's just about the most perfect, heart warming film and I really don't understand how it can't be adored. To loath it? Unfathomable. Like the best family films and Pixars finest the magic comes from it being accessible to all ages, I've seen it with my small niece and nephew with them taking different stuff from what I did but us all loving it.

I too detest E.T. Even as a child I thought it was sentimental nonsense with a paper thin story.

While we're talking kids films, I also didn't like Flight of the Navigator.

ET is a film I have nothing good to say about.

However, Flight of the Navigator is absolutely wonderful, and anybody who says otherwise is a God-damned maniac (and is clearly in the right thread)!

Who knew so many people on the forum hated E.T. It's like discovering you lived next door to a murderer for years even though he seemed like such a nice quite boy.

The film will always have a special place in my heart, not least because the little guy looked like my Great Aunt Eve (RIP):

la-toya-et1.jpg