IGNORED

Movie confessions

Tangent

There's nothing wrong with Dude, Where's My Car, Azrael. And The Hangover is one of the much-lauded comedies that I just didn't find funny at all.

Die Hard 4 though, you're on your own with.

Yeah Dude's Where my Car being better than Hangover isn't a confession. More a statement of fact.

I think Star Wars is better than Empire Strikes Back.

I think the Godfather is better than Godfather II.

I think all of Kubrick's films are horribly overrated.

I genuinely think that Jim Carrey is an amazing actor who just happens to be in mostly shitty movies.

I've never seen Top Gun.

I totally didn't get A Separation.

I think Mean Girls is just brilliant.

I reckon that in another 30 years, Back to the Future will be held in as high regard as Citizen Kane.

I reckon that in another 30 years, Back to the Future will be held in as high regard as Citizen Kane.

I don't think you need to wait 30 years for that.

I love the BttF trilogy. I suppose this counts as a confession (of sorts): whenever I watch the third film, I am always left really, properly emotionally sad by the fact that Marty and the Doc won't see each other any more. They had such a great friendship that ran through the films, the whole tone of the series was so perfectly-pitched and the fact that it is over makes me sad. As does the ending of Quantum Leap, for the same reasons.

I hated Wallace & Gromit in The Curse of the Were-Rabbit.

I much preferred Zombieland over Shaun of the Dead (not much of a confession), because I like zombie films that take place over huge distances.

Hot Fuzz was genuinely painful to watch because of the way its been edited. So was Requiem for a Dream but it's not a comedy.

I love Soderbergh 's Ocean's Eleven, i don't consider it a guilty pleasure.

I find quite a few of Robert De Niro's performances embarrassing, he pretty much ruined This Boy's Life for me by hamming it up, turning the character into a caricature with not an ounce of menace. De Caprio does more to convince you that you should be scared of him than he does himself..

I liked De Niro best in Midnight Run, there's less of the De Niro mannerisms, he slips into his role more, less showy.

I didn't like the scene in Raging Bull where he punches the wall. He plays a lot of nasty characters but I'm not convinced by any of them...not in Goodfellas. Ray Liotta comes across more frightening in one moment, where he walks away after hitting the man with the butt of his gun.

I believe Die Hard 2 is one of the finest action movies ever made, based on the sheer scale and the scale of the plot. Love it. Those who prefer - or even just generally like - Die Hard 4.0 - must be on crack!

Robocop has the greatest finale in any action movie ever made. "I'm not arresting you anymore...." the walking on water. The stirring score. That scream when he's impaled. The dispatching of the bad guy. Makes my hairs stand on end every time.

Broken Arrow is one of my favourite filmes of the 90's...

...and I also think John Travolta is a brilliant villain and a genuinely under-rated in action roles

I thought Avatar was totally pointless and possibly the worst thing Cameron has ever made....

...however I enjoyed True Lies more than any Bond film....

...and Terminator (1984) is still the pinnacle of all his films.

I'd watch The Untouchables over Goodfellas and the Godfather, hell any mob movie any day of the week. However I did love Goodfellas but thought Godfather was utterly overrated and wasn't a touch on the book.

I love nearly all of Mark Wahlberg's films even the shit ones.

I can't watch anything with Colin Fucking Farrell in it.

I genuinely think that Jim Carrey is an amazing actor who just happens to be in mostly shitty movies.

Yeah. The Truman Show and Eternal Sunshine demonstrate that perfectly.

A few more from me:

- I much prefer Scorsese's non-gangster films to his actual gangster films

- One of the biggest crimes in cinema is how Malcolm McDowell's career spluttered, stalled and went into DTV freefall after his amazing work with Kubrick and Lindsey Anderson

- I think Naked is Mike Leigh's best film

And one that will shake this folder to its very core:

- I watched Mamma Mia the other day for a second time and actually enjoyed it to a certain extent (the first time I watched it I thought it was one of the worst films I'd seen)

As much as I like Robert Downey Jnr I think the Iron Man films are very overrated (Avengers is brilliant though).

The two Sherlock Holmes movies are complete crap.

I want to punch Tobey Maguire in the face.

A Clockwork Orange is nonsense.

Superbad is one of the funniest movies ever.

Guy Ritchies pre Sherlock Holmes movies are all brilliant (Revolver is a bit quirky though).

I love the Fast & Furious movies.

I can't understand how Paul Anderson made something as good as Event Horizon.

Sunshine is a classic sci fi film.

I believe Die Hard 2 is one of the finest action movies ever made, based on the sheer scale and the scale of the plot. Love it. Those who prefer - or even just generally like - Die Hard 4.0 - must be on crack!

Robocop has the greatest finale in any action movie ever made. "I'm not arresting you anymore...." the walking on water. The stirring score. That scream when he's impaled. The dispatching of the bad guy. Makes my hairs stand on end every time.

Broken Arrow is one of my favourite filmes of the 90's...

...and I also think John Travolta is a brilliant villain and a genuinely under-rated in action roles

A Fucking Men. I loooooooooove Die Hard 2 and think it's one of the best sequels to an action film ever. Sure you can say it's a retread of the first film but they expand the surrounding area a good bit, Colonel Stewart is a wonderfully nasty piece of shit and the action is fucking superb. The Annex Skywalk scene is probably my favourite action scene from any of the Die Hard films. It's just a bloody great film with Bruce as his wisecracking best, great action and cast.

I can understand someone saying they prefer Die Hard With A Vengeance, I don't agree but I can understand it. I don't know how anyone could say that fucking terrible piece of rotten rancid horsecock that is Die Hard 4 is better than anything. It's not even that great an action film. It's a terrible Die Hard film especially with McClanes character being so tame compared to the other films and the action is so fucking soft. I'll never forget when I first saw that film and they used a bloody gunshot to cover his famous line. That 'unrated' cut was a load of shit too. I'll still always love Bruce despite that film, the man's an action star god as far as I'm concerned, but fucking Len Wiseman can just go and fuck off for all I care.

Sorry for the long rant, still my biggest film disappointment ever *goes to scream at wall*

As much as I like Robert Downey Jnr I think the Iron Man films are very overrated (Avengers is brilliant though).

The two Sherlock Holmes movies are complete crap.

Superbad is one of the funniest movies ever.

Sunshine is a classic sci fi film.

Agree with you about the Iron Man films; thought the first was decent but the second was poor.

Half-agree with you about the Holmes' films (only seen the first one, and that was bad enough to not want to see the sequel) - it looked nice enough and RDJ and Jude Law did work together. But hated it.

Superbad is awful. Utter rubbish with no redeeming features (no, I don't think Mclovin is in any way amusing).

Sunshine is great; Chris Evans is excellent and the real stand-out in it for me.

- I found Lost in Translation to be utterly boring (apart from Scarlett Johansson's arse)

- I've never seen Jaws

- I like Die Hard 4 nearly as much as Die Hard 3. And a lot more than Die Hard 2.

Completely agree about Lost in Translation. Ended up turning it off.

Come to think about it I'm not sure I've seen Jaws either.

Like I said earlier I didn't actually mind Die Hard 4 as an action film, I just don't see it as a DH movie.

I've never really understood the hype surrounding the Coen Bros films. I enjoyed Fargo and Big Lebowski, but they were just good films.

I though Shaun of the Dead was too long and lost too much steam, same with Hot Fuzz.

Hudson Hawk is one of Bruce Willis' most enjoyable films.

Sunshine is great; Chris Evans is excellent and the real stand-out in it for me.

He's the opposite of his usual self and as you said, a stand out in a cast that isn't bad at all.

On a related note I will admit that I adore The Losers. 1,000 times better than The Expendables for example.

Ok, Hudson Hawk is an amazing film, one of my favourite cinema trips of all time. I was amazed at the insanity of it all and only a few things havent stood the test of time, Hawks hat for example.

I didnt realise that The Losers was not well thought of. Great film.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who isnt a massive fan of the Coens. Its not that their films are terrible, just overly quirky to the point of annoyance and boring. Particulalry Blood simple, god what a dire film that was. And I feel asleep trying to watch NCFOM.

I really, really like The International (Clive Owen and Naomi Watts). Also, the Blu-ray transfer is superb, really showing off some wonderful views. It is also the only disc in my life (including DVDs) where I have watched the extras.

Superbad is one of my favourite comedies and I don't understand people who don't like it.

I also don't understand how people like the Big Lebowski.. unfunny drivel.

I liked Alien Resurrection.

I know this is a confession thread, but a line has to be drawn here

Die Hard > Die Hard With A Vengeance > Die Hard 2: Die Harder > Live Free & Die Hard.

FACT.

Everytime I watch Forrest Gump and he finds out that he has a son and asks Jenny "is he...like me?" and his voice breaks and he wells up then I do the same. Every fucking time.

Also, Turner & Hooch is Tom Hanks best film.

Absolutely love The Queen, watched it maybe six times over the years, it's not a documentary so you can't take it that what's said happened but on the other hand the way it conveys characters and situations is not only plausible but intelligent and incredibly entertaining. Dug out the thread (which I seem to have started) and it got 9 posts so I guess I'm relatively alone