Gender Diversity / Politics in games (was Tropes Vs. Women)

Unofficial Who

Indeed - it seems incredible to think anyone would or will ever want to emulate Sarkeesian’s legitimate critical approach to the medium, after seeing the reprehensible treatment ‘gamers’ directed towards her and her associates.

• 3 months later...

There was an easy trophy in Infamous where all you had to do right at the start of the game was zap the civilians going for the food drop, starting you on the evil path.

I finished the game 100% good & restarted &... I couldn't do it.  That's not the character I want to be.

Couldn't find the game topic for Haven but wanted to let people know it's received an update so you can play as one of two same sex couples.

https://www.pcgamer.com/new-haven-update-lets-you-play-as-a-same-gender-couple/?

The developer also said the update "is a bit special," explaining that Haven was originally intended to have eight couples to represent a diverse range of relationships. Though the team eventually focused on just one couple, it "went back to work on this update to add the alternate couples" shortly after launch. Two new voice actors hopped on board to record some 80,000 lines of dialogue, with slight tweaks to the story throughout for any specific gendered references to reflect whichever couple you choose.

I need to try Haven - I had a look during one of those Steam demo festivals but I was so distracted with other things. It's one of those games where moving around the environment feels satisfying in itself, and the attack-syncing thing during battles is a nice idea.

Then again, it's the kind of game that I feel would be Prime Gaming or Humble Bundle fodder in a few months...

4 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

I need to try Haven - I had a look during one of those Steam demo festivals but I was so distracted with other things. It's one of those games where moving around the environment feels satisfying in itself, and the attack-syncing thing during battles is a nice idea.

Then again, it's the kind of game that I feel would be Prime Gaming or Humble Bundle fodder in a few months...

It was on Gamepass until a few months back and it's quite good if a little slow to start with. The demo though is terrible and gave me completely the wrong idea about how the combat loop would work. One of the few demos I've played which did the game a disservice.

• 2 months later...

https://gamehistory.org/wabbit/

Last year, Polygon ran an article about our search for an Atari VCS game developer by the name of “Ban Tran.” As we understood it, Tran was a Vietnamese woman who worked for a short-lived, Texas-based game company called Apollo, where she wrote Wabbit — the first console game to star a human girl — before the company declared bankruptcy towards the end of 1982.

However, after working on an unreleased Solar Fox conversion the following year for the Atari 5200 at MicroGraphic Image, Tran simply disappeared. And while there are many people in the United States by that name, none of them appeared to be her. The article on Polygon concluded with musings that her old coworkers may have simply mis-remembered her name. 

As it turned out, they were only one letter off.

• 3 months later...

Well this looks awful.

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-least-likable-developer-on-steam-may-have-hit-the-limit-of-its-permissive-moderation/?

Dolphin Barn's gladiator management sim Domina lost any appeal it may have had when, starting last May, its developer began inserting screeds against "soft" men and LGBTQ people into the game's patch notes and forum discussions. The game's official account has been banned on both Twitter and Bandcamp, with the individual having previously equated support for trans youth with pedophilia on the former platform.

This has led to review bombing.

The comments on several negative reviews, meanwhile, include fans of the game spewing vile invective about trans people. Again, whatever merits Domina may or may not have had as a gladiator management sim, that doesn't seem to be anyone's concern at this juncture.

Valve's stance on storefront moderation has been that it won't police content unless it's illegal or "straight-up trolling."(opens in new tab) That stance has been somewhat unique in the tech sphere, as companies like Twitter and Facebook adopted more heavy-handed moderation policies in the face of online harassment and disinformation. 

Not sure where to post this. I'm a big fan of the rhythm-action game Rhythm Doctor and every now and then I lurk around its Twitter to see if any updates are happening. On August 21 they announced that they were working on a character cameo in another game - Indie Rumble. This was going to be a "platform fighter" (read: Smash clone) starring a bunch of characters from various indie games:

Alex (YIIK: A Post-Modern RPG) 

Brian (Yuppie Psycho) 

Captain Viridian (VVVVVV) 

Chizuru (Super Ledgehop: Double Laser) 

Chubby (Mission in Snowdriftland) 

Crow (Nefarious) 

Ding (Wanba Warriors) 

Peppino (Pizza Tower), 

Rhythm Knights (Rhythm Knights) 

Spark (Spark the Electric Jester) 

The Kid (I Wanna Be The Guy)

Tough Love Fighters (Tough Love Arena) 

Welltaro (Downwell)

Yolk (Leap Day) 

V1 (ULTRAKILL) 

I don't really play platform fighters that much so I hadn't really been tracking it, but I revisited its Twitter account recently:

(In case the tweet gets deleted: "It deeply saddens me to announce the cancellation of Indie Rumble. Over the last few days, the team has gone through so many indescribable feelings, so for the respect of all, the project will be cancelled.")

Basically Indie Rumble's creator Dallen Larsen has been accused of some shitty treatment towards women, and a few disturbing accounts from victims have come out; harassment, sharing explicit photos, boasting about people exposing themselves to him, and so on.

https://twitter.com/piparys/status/1561536372242014208

https://twitter.com/bumblebeetoast/status/1561827009357123585

(CW: sexual topics - there's no explicit imagery, but there are images of convos with sexual language)

Again, I haven't looked too deeply into this so I apologise if I've got things mixed up, but it seems like another case of "promising upcoming game developed by massive creep". -_-

This may be rather ageist of me, but a game that's been Kickstarted by a 20 year old being cancelled is very 'so what?' to me. Don't get me wrong, this Dallen character sounds like a total idiot who was massively immature as a teenager (all of these allegations seem to have happened a few years ago in school) and likely still is. I'm not so sure, though, that such high school drama is that unusual. Teenage boy is horny and acts like a dick to and about teenage girls, pretending he has nudes and causing a situation because of it that made him 'decide' to switch schools (presumably before he was kicked out). I dunno, am I underestimating how important this is?

• 2 weeks later...

Guess it's time to acknowledge this.

Remember Domina? The promising looking indie game from a few years back? There's been some...developments.

https://www.eurogamer.net/domina-delisted-by-steam-after-developers-transphobic-rant?

domina_bIZmR0F.jpg

Indie Gladiator game Domina has been delisted from Steam, after its developer went off on a transphobic rant.

Developer Nicholas John Leonhard Groissen took it upon himself to use his game as a platform to spout these comments in a recent 'update' announcing Domina's new name - Dominus.

More at the link.

James Stephanie Sterling covered this recently here 

and here

21 minutes ago, Unofficial Who said:

I did laugh at the subheading: "Creator banned from own forums." :lol:

Sounds like the anti-mask messages weren't the only political rants he'd been putting in the patch notes: 

https://www.reddit.com/r/GamerGhazi/comments/x3z45h/comment/imt6u8v/

May 7th 2021 - In first indication of political insert in patch notes adds a rant against "weak men", anti-masturbation, pro-bible.

Future patch notes include a smattering of "no way John McAfee killed himself", Ayn Rand and complaints that people don't understand "jokes".

March 8th 2022 - Dolphin rants about masks and general antivax views in Domina patch notes. Starts getting news attention to their drama.

August 7th 2022 - Dolphin rants about negative reviews. Updates post on Aug 13th to say he had been temporarily banned from steam community posting.

August 22nd 2022 - The Jimquisition makes a video about their meltdowns and exploits. Dolphin raises price in many regions but a massive increase to Israel where the $10 game is now $90 USD.

August 29th 2022 - The Jimquisition details an entertaining breakdown from Dolphin on twitter resulting in Dolphin's account and Domina's account being banned. Their soundtrack has been banned from Bandcamp.

September 1st 2022 - Dolphin embraces "one joke" and declares "Domina" is now "Dominus" and not to deadname them in unhinged anti-trans rant which managed to also include Keffals.

Today - Dolphin shares screenshots of permanent ban from Steam to GAB. His development aliases "DolphinBarn" and "Dolphin Barn Inc" have their games unlisted and partnerships permanently removed.