IGNORED

Gender Diversity / Politics in games (was Tropes Vs. Women)

Unofficial Who

24 minutes ago, APM said:

What am I missing here? Who gives a shit what gender someone is in an e-sports team? They're either good at the game or not.

or indeed who cares who the person is? - if they want to remain anonymous and the rules allow that then that should be fine too.

bunch of fucking arseholes who can't stand the idea that a woman of all things is better at vidya games than they are.

1 minute ago, Clipper said:

or indeed who cares who the person is? - if they want to remain anonymous and the rules allow that then that should be fine too.

I have no idea how esports works because I'm too old, but can people be banned from participating? If they can then it's not unreasonable for the other players, and to an extent the fans, to know that an anonymous player isn't someone who's been kicked out.

If people are questioning who someone is then it shows a level of distrust of the event organisers that probably means the "sport" is effectively untenable.

In a sense the eSports problem comes from the same place as Gamergate, a fear of becoming emasculated because a woman is able to stand as your equal/superior in society. No woman is allowed to progress on merit, they must have been favoured by someone, the organisation that sponsored them must have an agenda, they would have never been given those opportunities if they were a man and so on.

The only way a woman is allowed acceptance is if they can show without a shadow of a doubt that they can single handedly pull themselves to the top like the numerous high level female Tekken players, they can only just about pull that off in fighting games and even then they had to work through a lot of barriers. But the actual big eSports, the team games? A woman will never be allowed her due, her successes will be attributed to her teammates and the teams failures will be attributed to her. 

I bring Tekken up by the way because of this video that came out recently.

you'd think if they were concerned that it was a banned player then they might mention it in the article? I don't follow the esports thing, these posts referred to in the article are they all trying to determine identity for that reason? The mention of who Ellie might be and then the stream proof were about a male player who wasnt banned it seems. And they didn't accept that proof.

If they are purely about keeping banned players out then surely the league will/should have a method of sorting that out whilst still offering anonymity (as they seemingly allow that)

I remember back in the days of MW2 my regular group of players was about 15-strong, one of them was a woman from my mate's work at the time and we were all always in the public voice chat. The stuff morons (usually American) would say to her was just ridiculous, the most poisonous shite happily in public - but as she was Glaswegian they always regretted it and ended up humiliated. Was beautiful. 

(Never had such a big group of regular players for a game since that, I miss going on and having to play private matches because there were too many for lobbies).

Edited by deerokus

• 4 weeks later...

Ugh. Another negging. I've probably got more dresses in my wardrobe than Illyria.

I'm sure Delaney King didn't have to hand in her sense of humour along with her CV.

I'm sure this was a well intentioned thread to begin with but considering it's long since degenerated into the twitter-sponsored saint olympics, is it time it was shipped off to off-topic along with the rest of the forums embarrassments?

Fucking morons.

6 hours ago, MDY said:

Depresssing thread.. a few examples

Maybe the person who turned her down for junior art director thought she was massively overqualified due to her 8 years experience as art director? It happens.

This could be an interesting case study about different attitudes, though. I wonder how she's applying compared to how she did previously, and how she presents her experience given that, presumably, the employer can't look her up as her name is different. Maybe there's some trans discrimination going on as well as sexism - I hope she gets some interviews from decent studios as a result of her tweets.

The counterpoint to that is prominent in the mentions is someone who transitioned the other way and noticed the exact opposite effect.

You'd think they would have encountered the same problems with looking up and transphobia but it doesn't seem to have been that way.

4 hours ago, Dudley said:

The counterpoint to that is prominent in the mentions is someone who transitioned the other way and noticed the exact opposite effect.

You'd think they would have encountered the same problems with looking up and transphobia but it doesn't seem to have been that way.

Reminds me of the stories that pop up every so often of people with a middle Eastern name who apply for 100 jobs and get nowhere, then change the name on their CV to John Smith and suddenly start getting loads of interviews.

10 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

I'd love to know what's on the CV to instantly get a "no thanks"   I thought you didn't put thing like age or sex etc on a CV?

You don't but to be fair, I've got a male name, I gradated from uni in 2001 with no job history before that.

So you'd probably correctly assume I'm a man who turns 39 this year.  It's a very British name, so you might assume I'm white British.  Again, correct.

Which would certainly explain why a trans man or woman would instantly feel the effects on getting interview.