Gender Diversity / Politics in games (was Tropes Vs. Women)

Unofficial Who

Couldn't decide if that was a reply or not, but it seemed like one so I negged it to be safe.

Couldn't decide if that was a reply or not, but it seemed like one so I negged it to be safe.

I like Notch's solution, giving every character's pose to every other character is cheap and easy to implement and fits really well with Blizzard's goal to have distinct personalities for each one of them.

I like Notch's solution, giving every character's pose to every other character is cheap and easy to implement and fits really well with Blizzard's goal to have distinct personalities for each one of them.

42 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Not only does it miss the point of their individual characters and designs idea for the game, it also spectacularly misses and ignores the actual problem that is being talked about. It's obviously a bit "ad absurdium" but by that same logic, we should remove all gender and inequality issues by all looking exactly the same.

It amazes me that people are either just being totally wilfully ignorant or are so 'I'm alright, Jack" that they don't notice there's any sexism or imbalances in the world, let alone in video games.

It reminds me of when NEG posted, in all seriousness, a video that argued, in all seriousness, that feminists should really get into bio-engineering as a way of eliminating differences between human beings.

It's like they're afraid that if they think about the ideas in more than the most cursory way they're going to get girl germs.

8 minutes ago, David Kenny said:

Is NEG actually a beta version of that Microsoft twitter AI?

The one that spouted offensive drivel when people interacted with it? Can't think what similarity you'd have seen.

8 minutes ago, David Kenny said:

The one that spouted offensive drivel when people interacted with it? Can't think what similarity you'd have seen.

51 minutes ago, b00dles said:

It amazes me that people are either just being totally wilfully ignorant or are so 'I'm alright, Jack" that they don't notice there's any sexism or imbalances in the world, let alone in video games.

Yeah, based on conversations I've had, it seems common for people to think that gender inequality is some ancient thing that ended the moment women were allowed to vote, and that any mention of sexism is itself the problem, and that everything would be fair and equal and balanced if we just stopped talking about gender problems. Ditto with race.

The people who think this tend to be white and male, funnily enough.

47 minutes ago, Sprite Machine said:

Yeah, based on conversations I've had, it seems common for people to think that gender inequality is some ancient thing that ended the moment women were allowed to vote, and that any mention of sexism is itself the problem, and that everything would be fair and equal and balanced if we just stopped talking about gender problems. Ditto with race.

The people who think this tend to be white and male, funnily enough.

It also goes back to the other thing that I find weird which is just why not try and make those changes or make games better and more varied (although I 'get' it in regards to 'they're going to ruin my hobby' - even if it is madness).

Even if for some strange reason you totally fail to see any sexism or racism and think everything is roses, it's still not going to "ruin" anyone's hobby if we have more women/ different (human) races and some sort of depth to those characters. I can't see how that would be a bad thing.

Although people got annoyed about the cast of Force Awakens and that Charlize Theron had a 'bigger' part in Mad Max, neither of which were things that even remotely entered my head while I was watching it. If anything, with TFA at least, I remember thinking that it was a good thing the empire had women working in the Empire's control rooms - like they would if it was remotely realistic, which is surely what would make a better game/ film than I dunno, the warm feeling they get when everyone on the screen they're watching is white and male.

Which I don't understand as a 'thing' either. Having a brief think about it, a lot of my favourite films don't actually contain white males like me as it is, not sure I'd be able to manage without watching Hard Boiled and Police Story :D

2 hours ago, NEG said:

Boogie's take:

Hide contents

This is one of those guys who is an idiot, because he doesn't understand the issue at all, but presents himself as if he has a calm and rational take on the issue he doesn't understand. 

2 hours ago, NEG said:

Boogie's take:

Hide contents

This is one of those guys who is an idiot, because he doesn't understand the issue at all, but presents himself as if he has a calm and rational take on the issue he doesn't understand. 

I don't see what the fuss is about, I had to cross check it was the right image that was the egregious one. There's more sexualised stuff on other characters in that game.

I don't see what the fuss is about, I had to cross check it was the right image that was the egregious one. There's more sexualised stuff on other characters in that game.

9 minutes ago, macosx said:

Absolutely, which is what makes the accusation of censorship utterly bizarre. I guess it's a 'lines drawn in the sand' thing where they feel as though they need to make a stand against everything that they feel is taking things away from them. There's also a fair bit of double think in complaining at Blizz hoping to have a change made, whilst stating that developers should do what they want without listening to pressure groups.

9 minutes ago, macosx said:

18 minutes ago, macosx said:

That's the point, it's out of character for that one.

1 hour ago, NEG said:

Disrespectful to call Boogie a idiot, that's all I'll say.

Why? I watched the video, it's stupid, he made it, he's an idiot.

What the fuck has he done that you think is deserving of my respect?

2 hours ago, ZOK said:

Interesting when he's not in character, quite often a tit when he is. On balance he's probably one of the more deserving YouTubers in terms of earning respect, but that's the faintest of praise.

Also, negged, obv.

2 hours ago, ZOK said:

Interesting when he's not in character, quite often a tit when he is. On balance he's probably one of the more deserving YouTubers in terms of earning respect, but that's the faintest of praise.

Also, negged, obv.

GG has claimed another victim. Their harrassment campaign against her was mentioned earlier in the thread and now Alison Rapp has been terminated by Nintendo.

Which sucks because she great ambassador for Nintendo and great on the Treehouse streams.

GG has claimed another victim. Their harrassment campaign against her was mentioned earlier in the thread and now Alison Rapp has been terminated by Nintendo.

Which sucks because she great ambassador for Nintendo and great on the Treehouse streams.

Completely agree and you just know if she gets another public facing job the GG assholes are going to continue to harass there as well. 

Completely agree and you just know if she gets another public facing job the GG assholes are going to continue to harass there as well. 

42 minutes ago, ryodi said:

I came in here to post that, it's fucking bullshit.  Every video, article, anything she was involved in was flooded by comments from the seething mass of dickholes.  I expect that was more to do with it, in that it made it hard for her to represent the company, rather than the email campaign.

42 minutes ago, ryodi said:

I came in here to post that, it's fucking bullshit.  Every video, article, anything she was involved in was flooded by comments from the seething mass of dickholes.  I expect that was more to do with it, in that it made it hard for her to represent the company, rather than the email campaign.