Gender Diversity / Politics in games (was Tropes Vs. Women)

Unofficial Who

@rockstarjez, aside from the number of videos vs the number which were promised in the Kickstarter (I assume that's what your post refers to?  Apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick) what do you think of their content?  Do you think any of the trends in the depiction of women in video games that they highlight are concerning?

21 minutes ago, Sprite Machine said:

Challenge the content of the post, do not insult the person posting it.

In Jez's case don't even bother doing that.

In NEG's defence at least he bothers to engage, and if he is trolling it occasionally borders on genius (wetsuit design!). 

6 minutes ago, PK said:

@rockstarjez, aside from the number of videos vs the number which were promised in the Kickstarter (I assume that's what your post refers to?  Apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick) what do you think of their content?  Do you think any of the trends in the depiction of women in video games that they highlight are concerning?

Please just stop. You will never get an honest response from him.

6 minutes ago, matt0 said:

Please just stop. You will never get an honest response from him.

I'm not so sure, I think there's still the chance of a decent discussion as long as everyone can chill the fuck out about someone who has views they might find distasteful posting in the thread.

If anyone's wondering, "The Triggering" at was that big thing where Milo was going to dedicate the day after International Women's Day each year to posting as much horrid filth as possible in the name of free speech.

It seems to me that choosing to do that thing on that date is not exactly going to dispel the notion that you're only fighting for your own right to be a misogynistic fuckwit, but seeing that nobody even noticed it happening I don't think it matters.

11 minutes ago, PK said:

I'm not so sure, I think there's still the chance of a decent discussion as long as everyone can chill the fuck out about someone who has views they might find distasteful posting in the thread.

No, I tried it months ago and got nowhere. There's a massive difference between NEG who I believe genuinely wants to understand this stuff but finds it difficult, and has his own idiosyncratic posting style which makes discussion frustrating but still possible (and if he is trolling, which I don't believe, he's doing it very well), and Jez who simply turns up from time to time, sprays insults around like a cat marking its territory, then jumps back over the fence to piss in someone else's garden.

4 minutes ago, Darren said:

No, I tried it months ago and got nowhere. There's a massive difference between NEG who I believe genuinely wants to understand this stuff but finds it difficult, and has his own idiosyncratic posting style which makes discussion frustrating but still possible (and if he is trolling, which I don't believe, he's doing it very well), and Jez who simply turns up from time to time, sprays insults around like a cat marking its territory, then jumps back over the fence to piss in someone else's garden.

Yeah, NEG on his worst day in this thread is many orders of magnitude more interesting to engage with. jez is basically just a markov chain text generator running off Milo Y's Twitter history.

I really, really don't want to put anyone on my block list as a matter of principle but jez is 100% write-only in this thread and I don't see the point in responding to that.

16 minutes ago, Shoes said:

GZgPPV7.png

Let's keep trying to get through to him. I'm sure he's a decent chap deep down.

Imagine being so desperately bitter, alone and out of sync with anything resembling a personality that the only way you could gain attention was by nurturing an online persona that was nothing but hateful and antagonistic. Poor Jez.

He tweeted #thetriggering at least 25 times yesterday!(I got bored of counting at 25).

He's obsessive and delusional. There really is no point in engaging him. He's not some borderline, confused, "well what about what Anita Sarkesian said..." maybegater like Neg. His tweets actually come across as psychotic.

1 hour ago, Sprite Machine said:

Challenge the content of the post, do not insult the person posting it.

Pretty much this.

47 minutes ago, PK said:

And this.

Like I said a few pages back, as frustrating as it can be at times, sometimes engagement really can get through (as it did for me at the beginning). Even the equilivant of a 'WANK!' post can mean they're at least paying attention, commenting, and spending time on the subject. Do you really want to tell the haters to fuck off?

I don't expect Jez to engage, some of that willingness DOES have to come from him which has clearly been barely there, but it has to be better then calling him a cunt and whatever else, surely? Especially for this particular topic.

And no Shoes, I don't think a 'insults don't help' response deserves putting 'imo'. It applies to most things in life. Just because the Houses of Parliament takes the piss of each other every Prime Minister's Questions doesn't mean it's respectable.

Release any tensions on a Sonic stress ball instead.

B7344.w300h300.jpg

32 minutes ago, NEG said:

Like I said a few pages back, as frustrating as it can be at times, sometimes engagement really can get through (as it did for me at the beginning). Even the equilivant of a 'WANK!' post can mean they're at least paying attention, commenting, and spending time on the subject. Do you really want to tell the haters to fuck off?

I don't expect Jez to engage, some of that willingness DOES have to come from him which has clearly been barely there, but it has to be better then calling him a cunt and whatever else, surely? Especially for this particular topic.

Let's not pretend he's here to engage, a number of us interacted with him in good faith last time and got nothing but the usual bollocks back in return.

These people aren't 'haters'.  Some confused gators are, but not in all cases. Jez is a twat who has twatty opinions, like calling fat women whales, and he constantly comes here not to engage, or to read, but to annoy people.  He's insignificant.

14 minutes ago, The Bag said:

Let's not pretend he's here to engage, a number of us interacted with him in good faith last time and got nothing but the usual bollocks back in return.

But what about the next time?

8 minutes ago, Shoes said:

These people aren't 'haters'.  Some confused gators are, but not in all cases. Jez is a twat who has twatty opinions, like calling fat women whales, and he constantly comes here not to engage, or to read, but to annoy people.  He's insignificant.

Well, whatever popular term people prefer. It changes daily. Person that disagrees with the subject and is unable to critiQue constructively as of yet.

Would Jesus give up? :unsure:

21 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

I like "maybegater", I'm totally going to steal that. 

I like alligators.

30 minutes ago, rumblecat said:

Dude, c'mon- spoiler alert that shit. I was halfway through the Bible as well, dunno if I can be bothered continuing now I know all the smiting is for nothing. 

He dies at the end. :hat:

4 hours ago, PK said:

@rockstarjez, what do you think of their content?  Do you think any of the trends in the depiction of women in video games that they highlight are concerning?

@PK Naturally, I think the content is rubbish. I don't think any trends of the depiction of women in video games is particularly concerning. Because they are a fantasy! It is not real. 

If Lara Croft was depicted as a Blue haired, cardigan wearing slightly overweight protagonist. That's great!!

But nobody would buy it.  

Just now, rockstarjez said:

@PK Naturally, I think the content is rubbish. I don't think any trends of the depiction of women in video games is particularly concerning. Because they are a fantasy! It is not real. 

Really?  I think some of them are demonstrably true, even if you don't think they're problematic.  The trope of the female 'damsel in distress' for example, which is covered in the first couple of videos;  there's an extremely long - and by no means comprehensive - list of games where female characters are trapped or kidnapped, and serve no other purpose in the game than to be rescued.

I actually hadn't really thought about just how prevalent - and lazy - that particular trope was until I watched those videos.

8 hours ago, Broker said:

It's interesting that a Neanderthal woman hater like yourself would be so invested in the finances of an organisation you've never contributed to and aren't interested in the output of. If you were misinformed it might be a bit sad, but as you've devoted yourself to fighting equality on Twitter I imagine there's not much chance of anyone communicating with you on this issue.

It's a real shame that you're so scared of women that you feel the need to attack attempts at discussing issues that effect them. I'm guessing there's a part of you that needs to feel like other people are intrinsically less important than you, which is a pattern for a surprisingly large number of fat, thick, boring white guys. I guess maybe if you stop being an utter cunt for too long you might find yourself considering why you constantly behave like such an utter cunt, and that's not going to be comfortable.

But yeah, keep posting information from Breitbart or whatever. Wouldn't want anyone mistaking you for a decent human being.

You really love to throw the C word at people Broker. 

Is it to make up for the fact you rarely get any? I mean seriously dude how long has it been? 

A little tip. Don't tell women you are a male feminist. Nothing drys up a vagina quicker than saying that.