rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
James Lyon

Lego City Undercover

I was surprised this didn't get more of a mention because the more I think about it, the more I reckon this was one of the highlights of E3 for me. Although, well, let's not go overboard, but it certainly piqued my interest.

Not that it was the best looking or most innovative game, but in an event full of neck-stabbing and shotguns, here's this bright, colourful game that actually made me smile and laugh during its trailer.

I'm sure we can agree that the film-based Lego games have gotten a little tired. They're not so much stale, as just prepared to do not much more than dress an original, great idea in new clothes for every release. Even if I'm sure I'd like them if I played them, both Lego Batman and Lego Lord of the Rings instill a sense of fatigue in me just upon hearing their titles.

Lego City Undercover could be a little different. An open world game that could actually be funny, and not just Saints Row 3 funny. A pastiche of Grand Theft Auto and its ilk aimed at kids, yet hopefully with a knowing wink for us lot, designed to both work within that style and make fun of it at the same time.

And while the voice acting in the other Lego games doesn't seem to fit, this set the tone and seems to work. It's also got the best damn videogame name I've heard in a long time: Chase McCain. If anything, it's worth a look just for that.

Hopefully it doesn't get too simplistic and has something there for those of us who burn through these games. As long as its full of decent sidequests, silly levels of collectables and corny jokes, like any other Lego game it could be pretty good.

Oh, and it's on Wii U and has some special tablet features, but I'll reserve judgment on that for now.

• Upvote 2

Agree with pretty much all of that. It looks like a lot of fun, and more inventive/ambitious than the film tie-ins. I think I said around the time of the excellent Toy Story game that it's a pity there isn't really a GTA for kids; well, it seems now there is. And published by Nintendo, so it should get a marketing push. Outside NSMBU, this could be the most popular of all the launch titles.

There's something just not right about mixing the distinctive Lego look with 'normal' environments. I feel they should have had the conviction to make everything Lego-styled.

• Upvote 1

There's something just not right about mixing the distinctive Lego look with 'normal' environments. I feel they should have had the conviction to make everything Lego-styled.

Can't say it's bothered me. It looks Lego enough.

Also,has anyone played its namesake progenitor, Lego Island? It looks mental:

Yes, I've played Lego Island. It ran terribly. It wasn't really an open world game, either. It was a tiny little island overworld you could move around and then enter little scenario mini games like making a car or pizza.

It was shit, basically.

The TT LEGO games have always had realistic* environments, though. I think it's only because they've been largely based in fantastical environments that this hasn't been picked up on more.

The other reason is that there's a fairly hard and fast rule in TT LEGO games that if something is LEGO, you can interact with it, so the realistic world geometry clearly indicates to the player what they can and can't futz with.

*in the sense of the textures being drawn to mimic real life, rather than something artificial.

• Upvote 2

The other reason is that there's a fairly hard and fast rule in TT LEGO games that if something is LEGO, you can interact with it, so the realistic world geometry clearly indicates to the player what they can and can't futz with.

That'll be really useful, actually. I hated when you'd see something interesting up the road in GTA IV, and as you got closer you realised it was something else you wouldn't be able to interact with.

This is Wii U exclusive isn't it? I'd love a 360 version to come out eventually.

I was going to ask the same thing. If it is exclusive then it might be the game that makes me buy a wiiU.

Sheeet, I didn't realise this was out next month! WiiU under my TV potentially much sooner than I thought then.

EDIT: March 18 in the US, not next month but almost! can't see an EU confirmed date.

Yup, WiiU exclusive. There's literally no chance of a release on a non-Nintendo platform.

Why is this? Have Nintendo assisted the development?

I'm not saying you are wrong, but I've seen plenty of 'exclusive' games eventually appear on other platforms. Resident Evil 4 being a fairly high profile one.

• Upvote 1

Why is this? Have Nintendo assisted the development?

I'm not saying you are wrong, but I've seen plenty of 'exclusive' games eventually appear on other platforms. Resident Evil 4 being a fairly high profile one.

It's being published by them. I mean this ain't an official statement or 'owt, but I worked on the game and I just don't see it happening.

• Upvote 3

It's being published by them. I mean this ain't an official statement or 'owt, but I worked on the game and I just don't see it happening.

Is it as awesome as it looks? Because it looks awesome. PIG CANNON! EXPLODING RC CARS! CHICKENS!

• Upvote 1

Day 1 purchase from me, been looking for another good exclusive and this ticks the box.

Just hope its as good as it looks, couple of Lego games I played on 360 I didn't give enough of a chance as I got a bit bored - this looks like a totally different game/concept.

Co-op open world shenanigans where the person on the Gamepad could piss off to the other side of the map and do what they like while the person on the screen does the same and then team up for missions would be brilliant. A local version of Saints Row MP, rather than the limited range you get in GTA would be brilliant.

It's really great, I'm looking forward to playing through it myself, which isn't something you say very often at the end of projects. Oh, and I can't comment on specific aspects of the game as it's not my place to.

The real surprise for me was the quality of the graphics. There's some really great texture work going on and it now looks like V-sync has been implemented. The script also seems spot on humour wise as well.