IGNORED

Flight - Robert Zemeckis Returns to Live Action

lordcookie

Synopsis: In this action-packed mystery thriller, Academy Award winner Denzel Washington stars as Whip Whitaker, a seasoned airline pilot who miraculously crash-lands his plane after a mid-air catastrophe, saving nearly every soul on board. After the crash, Whip is hailed as a hero, but as more is learned, more questions than answers arise as to who or what was really at fault, and what really happened on that plane?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RtCMIe9oj8

The film stars Denzel Washington and is out in November.

The big news here is the fact Zemeckis has (finally) ditched making mo-capped films in favour of making a live action movie. The cast is good and the crash looks like it should be impressive but there is something about the trailer that isn't quite working for me.

It looks like it's trying to be bigger than the plot actually is. It's trying to shoehorn a load of 'action' shots into the trailer to make people sit up and take notice when it's probably more likely a story and character driven film. It'll probably stand up very well on it's own, with being Zemeckis and Washington and whatnot.

It looks interesting but I doubt I'd watch it.

• 7 months later...

Saw this last night at a free preview. The trailer (and synopsis) are pretty misleading to be honest - the film is essentially a somewhat slowly-paced melodrama about alcoholism and conscience. While the segment aboard the plane is pretty intense, anyone going into the film expecting it to be action-packed, or even some sort of captivating investigation and inquest about who is to blame / who made a difference, is likely to come out of the cinema disappointed.

The performances are fine, and it's by no means a bad film, just not an exciting one (except for the crash).

Saw this last night at a free preview. The trailer (and synopsis) are pretty misleading to be honest - the film is essentially a somewhat slowly-paced melodrama about alcoholism and conscience. While the segment aboard the plane is pretty intense, anyone going into the film expecting it to be action-packed, or even some sort of captivating investigation and inquest about who is to blame / who made a difference, is likely to come out of the cinema disappointed.

The performances are fine, and it's by no means a bad film, just not an exciting one (except for the crash).

I think it's fair to say the trailer is a bit of a red herring, even tho the plane scenes are magnificent, but I really really liked this.

While the segment aboard the plane is pretty intense, anyone going into the film expecting it to be action-packed, or even some sort of captivating investigation and inquest about who is to blame / who made a difference, is likely to come out of the cinema disappointed.

Pretty much this. It's frustrating... scene after scene of this guy being drunk isn't that much fun... I even knew that the crash scene was only going to be a small part but I was still expecting a bit more than what is there.

disappointing.

It's a weird one. The film seems to revel in his debauchery one minute, and then get all tutty about it the next. The plot wraps up very neatly too, never really going through any twists or turns you didn't expect. But saying all that, D-Wash elevates it above tedium with his usual excellent performance. The marketing is very loose with the truth. In a nutshell, the plane crashes right at the start and the whole rest of the film is a humdrum but watchable drama about self-deception and addiction. Also, Kelly Reilly.

• 2 weeks later...

Watched this over the weekend and personally I really liked it. Fairly long but never boring. Denzel was awesome without going too cheesy as he has done in the past, Cheadle and Reilly played their roles perfectly and Goodman was great as a bit of comic relief. I can't really comment on whether the marketing was misleading as I don't really watch trailers, but I came out more than happy.

Oh and the soundtrack was amazing.

I think a film can still be average even with an excellent central performance. The stodgy direction and script lasted the majority of the film as well as Denzel's performance, really disliked the soundtrack too - was it a joke that it was so literal at times? (Sympathy for the Devil when Goodman's character first arrives, Under the Bridge for the junkie).

Worth watching for the superbly filmed crash (I was holding my breath for most of it and had practically put my foot through the chair in front of me in the cinema) but I was severely disappointed.

yeah it is, it's a reallly odd movie in terms of that, some things just feel out of step - pulp fiction esque (john goodman, the bit where denzel swaggers along with his own theme tune, the bit on the hospital steps) so it's hard to peg as one type of movie, but it works -i guess that's why it's a bit annoying people seem to be saying the trailer sold them another movie. but then people said that about Looper too and I loved that

......Also, Kelly Reilly.

Yes!....and as a My Name is Earl fan, I was also very pleasantly surprised to see Catalina (Nadine Velazquez) during the movies opening few minutes :eyebrows::wub:

I can't quite work out why they pitched the trailer that way either as it markets it as a very different film and more of a mystery about how he did manage to land that plane. At least that how I perceived it and I would have liked to have seen that film. It doesn't matter that it turns out to be a slow drama as I also very much enjoyed it for what it is, but I think that primarily to do with Denzel's performance which is good.

I agree with comments on here about the crash, I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. It was brilliantly shot and very tense even though I knew the outcome. I thought it was an enjoyable movie.

• 3 weeks later...

Watched this tonight, even the film's tagline "An airline pilot saves a flight from crashing, but an investigation into the malfunctions reveals something troubling." - as shown on imdb - is pretty misleading about what the film is actually about.

Took me and the missus by surprise (we were expecting some kind of high drama/thriller/action 'whodunnit' type of thing with Denzel fighting to save his name) but as others have said it's essentially about Whittaker's (Denzel's) alcoholism/substance problems, his life (what remains) and the ruin that such abuse can perform on people. The plane crash storyline itself often felt like a side-plot, which is quite a strange consideration to make baring in mind the film's title and tagline!

As such it did lack a little focus at times for me, but I can't say anything bad about it - it's still a really engrossing film, littered with excellent acting performances and is worth every one of those 7 stars out of 10 it currently has as it's imdb rating. Would recommend.