Your Worst Game Ever?

Guest Penguin_Lad

Why?

Give me one good reason that doesn't depend on your opinion of those games.

ok, you're either in the wrong thread or have not played enough games.

there are dozens of games in every genre that are quanitifiably, objectively and absolutely worse than these games in every possible respect...

you see, I fucking HATE TS2 and KOTOR, but I know full well that you don't have to look very far to find much, much worse examples.

this is not the 'most overrated' or 'most disappointing' thread, this is the 'worst' thread.

Why?

Give me one good reason that doesn't depend on your opinion of those games.

ok, you're either in the wrong thread or have not played enough games.

there are dozens of games in every genre that are quanitifiably, objectively and absolutely worse than these games in every possible respect...

you see, I fucking HATE TS2 and KOTOR, but I know full well that you don't have to look very far to find much, much worse examples.

this is not the 'most overrated' or 'most disappointing' thread, this is the 'worst' thread.

Of course you are right about their being much worse examples.

But we haven't played those.

Because we have been fortunate (informed) enough to avoid real stinkers, we've got to pick a game that is considered good by everyone else, but worst to us.

But that's where you're wrong. There is no way of quantifying whether someone will like a game or not. It is opinion, not science.

LED Storm got some utter shite reviews on the Amiga. It was one of my favourite games.

worst EVER? jesus.

must be that launch PS2 game, futuristic racer thingy. Jap version was called HRESVELGR (yes really); I forget what the PAL version was renamed to... *googles* JET ION GP, that was it. yeah. hateful piece of code.

anyone mentioning SMS, GTA:VC, Ico, M64, anything like that, or even my favourite hate-directing-games KOTOR and TS2, is in the wrong thread.

Why?

Come on, in PL's on words, it's about my worst game.

As I have said a bazillion times before, I can see why so many people rave about it.

But, for me, in terms of fun, gameplay, stuff you had to do etc etc

i hated it. I have never played a game that i hated playing so much.

Why is that so hard to bloody understand?

This makes out like I hate it, I don't really, but in terms of (as i have said before, over and over) "fun" it is my most fun free gameplaying experience.

then go and play Croc or suchlike.

you don't like platformers - fine. but at least pick a shit one. I can't stand anything KOTOR stands for, but I'm not listing it as my worst game ever because there are a million examples of GENUINELY, UNSPEAKABLE SHIT GAMES which should be in this thread.

namedropping *big game x* in this thread is all about *not having played most genuinely poor games in x's genre*

Earthworm Jim 64 has to rank as one of, if not the worst game I've ever played. View to a Kill on the Spectrum was also complete pish, and recently I'd say the Shinobi remake and Timesplitters 2 was such a disappointment, (though admittedly far from the worst games I've ever played), that they certainly deserve a dishonourable mention.

you don't like platformers - fine. but at least pick a shit one. I can't stand anything KOTOR stands for, but I'm not listing it as my worst game ever because there are a million examples of GENUINELY, UNSPEAKABLE SHIT GAMES which should be in this thread.

namedropping *big game x* in this thread is all about *not having played most genuinely poor games in x's genre*

Whatever.

I'm not going to pick a game i've not played to be my worst am i?

Two really stick out in my recent memory. Carmageddon 64 on the N64 was dire. I found it new for £4.99 and though "can't go wrong", but how wrong I was. Everything about it was just rubbish, graphics, handling, gameplay... it had none of these. But out of some weird compulsion I played it until I finished it... probably just to check that a "real" game wasn't hidden inside.

The other one is a Tomb radier game on the DC. I bought this for 49p in Dixons, and still thought it was a massive rip off. I can't even remember which one it was, but I do remember that the graphics were worse than the PS1 version and that you had to keep swapping between the D-pad and analogue stick to control Lara, so she was completely uncontrolable.

PS: Can all you ICO haters send me your copies, as I've just got a PS2, and need ICO in my tiny collection.

But that isn't what you mean. You mean "pick one that I think is shit". You are confusing your opinion with fact. You're aren't Campbell in disguise are you?

you can be objective about games in ways you can't with music, film etc.

there are things which can definitely, absolutely be wrong with a game.

etc etc. old news, this.

My problem with Mario64 was that it did not have the depth or the gameplay Mario-World had. The music wasn’t any good either and I thought the camera angles could have been better.

I always try to avoid bad games therefore Mario64 was a really bad surprise.

Probably a game called Agapito for the PC, my brother bought it for £2 or something. It's a game about a guy who wins flight tickets in a box of cornflakes. I've no idea what is meant to be going on.

PS:  Can all you ICO haters send me your copies, as I've just got a PS2, and need ICO in my tiny collection.

No can do, traded it in for Mobile Suit Gundam: Federation vs Zeon, which is far more fun.

It's a tough one but for Worst Game I have Played in recent years the title has to go to Blade 2 - it fucking sucked.

It was attrocious.

The combat system was terrible and the fact you couldn't use the sword straight from the bat made no sense.

You had to kill people to build up power to use the sword on your back?!?!?! whu!?!?!?

The game was shit. Crap. Poo. Pants.

Hated it with a passion.

Whatever.

no, and I'm not saying you should.

your case is probably exceptional in that you've (properly) played one platform game in your life, you fucking LOATHE them, and it happened to be SM64.

I've played LOTS of turn-based RPGs. of the ones I've played, KOTOR is most certainly the worst. however, I'm not going to say that it's my worst game, because I've played thousands of games, and it's not even close to being the worst of all these. so you don't have the luxury/misfortune to have played lots of shit games as well - fine. that is, after all, all I said - you haven't played many games.

etc etc. old news, this.

Again, completely wrong. It is all about if someone enjoys playing it. Much like it is about whether someone enjoys an album or a film.

Clerks: shite actors and crap equipment. Excellent film.

The Phantom Menace: excellent actors and state of the art equipment. Crap film.

Of course, that is just my opinion. Others may disagree.

PS: Can all you ICO haters send me your copies, as I've just got a PS2, and need ICO in my tiny collection.

It appears to be just me and my copy belongs to my mate. As I mentioned before I have it on long term loan (been almost a year now) as he hated it so much as well.

Shenmue - gave literally no real freedom, yet could have been so much better.

To highlight just how little freedom you had, when you needed to buy a 'ticket', you were not allowed to spend your money on anything else (it was not the case that money was not recoverable either). It wanted you to 'be' the character too much, in fact, at the expense of it being an actually game.

Old point and click feel to it, with simple tasks to perform before the next stage.

Dissappointing given what I was expecting after all the glowing reviews.

Whatever.

no, and I'm not saying you should.

your case is probably exceptional in that you've (properly) played one platform game in your life, you fucking LOATHE them, and it happened to be SM64.

I've played LOTS of turn-based RPGs. of the ones I've played, KOTOR is most certainly the worst. however, I'm not going to say that it's my worst game, because I've played thousands of games, and it's not even close to being the worst of all these. so you don't have the luxury/misfortune to have played lots of shit games as well - fine. that is, after all, all I said - you haven't played many games.

I just don't care what you think.

Resorting to pathetic things like that.

I've played lots of games. LOTS of games.

Quite a few platformers too.

I played the 3 PS1 Spyro games to completion.

Loved the little purple guy I did.

As i have tried to explain to you, I got no enjoyment out of M64. NONE.

SO, it is MY worst game.

Sure, maybe it's better than say Spyro, in terms of achievment, camera, whatever, but to me, it's my worst game.

Are you not listening to me?

I feel sorry for you if you are so "hardcore" you play everything that comes out, even though you know it's going to be crap so you can whinmge about it on a forum, and bitch at someone who hasn't palyed as many bad games as you.

etc etc. old news, this.

Again, completely wrong. It is all about if someone enjoys playing it.

this should be (and was) a thread of its own.

there isn't room for it in another thread like this.

put simply - my argument is that some games are better than others. you can have two games which do the same things, the same elements are enjoyable by all, but they do them better. and some do them worse. and some do the same things but have massive bugs and unstable code. extrapolate this as you see fit.

someone for whom SM64 is the worst game ever, by this logic, has played very few similar games. which is true. and it's all I said in the first place.

etc etc. old news, this.

Again, completely wrong. It is all about if someone enjoys playing it. Much like it is about whether someone enjoys an album or a film.

Clerks: shite actors and crap equipment. Excellent film.

The Phantom Menace: excellent actors and state of the art equipment. Crap film.

Of course, that is just my opinion. Others may disagree.

Exactly!

It's about enjoyment!

Guest Penguin_Lad

Blimey its all getting a bit mental now aint it.

It's actually genuinly difficult to come up with a game that's truly awful to you, and state the reasons for it IMO. Generally we all play games we like.

I'd hope to get some debate going and see what games people dredged up from the past.

However Laine, although you are great, since you've said you don't like Mario 64, I don't want to shag you anymore. Sorry. You were to tall for me anyway to be honest. ;)

It is quite easy to see how Mario 64 could frustrate though.

All the football games on Dreamcast were pretty awful, highlighting European Super League as my prime example. But those games are saved because they were so bad it was/and still is funny. I play the above title with my house mates at Uni, and we're all in hysterics.

Dream Soccer was great!

Shenmue - gave literally no real freedom, yet could have been so much better.

To highlight just how little freedom you had, when you needed to buy a 'ticket', you were not allowed to spend your money on anything else (it was not the case that money was not recoverable either). It wanted you to 'be' the character too much, in fact, at the expense of it being an actually game.

Old point and click feel to it, with simple tasks to perform before the next stage.

Dissappointing given what I was expecting after all the glowing reviews.

I'm with you there.

Quite simply one of the most boring and tedious games I have ever played in my life.

No control. No feeling of playing a game. No nothing. Complete shit if ever I played one.

Still stunned that people rave about it.

Guest Penguin_Lad
It's a tough one but for Worst Game I have Played in recent years the title has to go to Blade 2 - it fucking sucked.

It was attrocious.

The combat system was terrible and the fact you couldn't use the sword straight from the bat made no sense.

You had to kill people to build up power to use the sword on your back?!?!?! whu!?!?!?

The game was shit. Crap. Poo. Pants.

Hated it with a passion.

Good call! They used the second control stick to attack...and it just didn't work at all. You felt so detached from the action it was unbelievable.

It's almost like a Producer said "I've got a great idea for combat", and after they implemented it and realised it was rubbish, either no one was brave enough to say, or they didn't have time to change it.

And yes, the fact that you couldn't use your sword half the time was a strange one.

It was like a BAD Oni, which wasn't that great in the first place IMO.

Former God - Please realise that everyone has an opinion.

I also am stunned that anyone could pick games like Ico, Mario 64 etc as the WORST game they have ever played. I can understand people not liking them, but worst game? no way as their are a helluva lot worse out there - but each to their own.

So allow them their opinion and move on. Thanks.