IGNORED

The Wonderful 101 - from Platinum - directed by Hideki Kamiya

hub2

• 3 weeks later...

Out May 22nd in Europe. 

The Wonderful 101: Remastered will launch both physically and digitally for Switch and PlayStation 4, and for PC via Steam on May 19 in North America, May 22 in Europe, and June 11 in Japan for $39.99 / €44.99 / £39.99 / AU$59.95, developer Platinum Games announced. It is available now for pre-order at all major retailers.

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/02/the-wonderful-101-remastered-launches-may-19-in-north-america-may-22-in-europe-and-june-11-in-japan

13 hours ago, Stanley said:

I’ve never played this, looks insane. Is it difficult?

I don't remember it being particularly difficult. It's bonkers and unusual looking, which must have affected its sales on Wii U,  but I think its idiosyncratic inventiveness is a big part of why it actually feels quite accessible when you play it. I'm not usually into these types of games, but really enjoyed it. 

13 hours ago, Stanley said:

If you want to just mash through to the end, no.

If you want to enjoy it fully it will take a bit of learning and understanding.

If you want Pure Platinum runs it's probably the hardest game for that, and not very fair/balanced either. It's no masterpiece.

17 hours ago, Stanley said:

The game doesn't give you much to go on. It's appalling at explaining itself.

This guy has done a series of videos which explain everything. I really struggled with the game until I watched it:

Annoyingly, the person in the gameplay video doesn't seem to realise that if you draw a bigger weapon, you wield a bigger weapon. The fists and swords they're fighting with are teeny tiny.

More importantly he's neglecting the all-important stun condition activation, no doubt because it's on an easier difficulty.

Like Viewtiful Joe you have to stun the enemies before you can unload on them. With the entry level ones this is done by 'jabbing' your crowd of heroes into them (with X), or by rapidly shooting at them with the Unite Gun. Your dudes will climb up and start hassling until the stun is activated (this is the ONLY Pikmin similarity). Later on foes need stunning with the Unite Hammer or Unite Whip, etc., depending on their armour type.

Once stunned you can throw, or better yet launch with Unite Sword and get really creative.

Intermediate:

Advanced:

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

It's been some years since I last played it but I remember thinking the tutorial was useless. I didn't understand the drawing or combo mechanics at all until I watched the Saurian videos.

The game stops, it says “draw this shape!”, you draw the shape, then it tells you how to use what you made. It’s like it was made by Avril Lavigne.

That's basically just telling you the controls. Games like this generally require a VF4 Evo level of hand-holding if you want to know everything, which they never come with.

They are this way by design. Kamiya prefers that the players deep-dive all by themselves.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, carlospie said:

I played this on the wii u the other night as it was in my pile, am I missing something as it seems really shit and repetitive? The drawing controls are very inaccurate too. 

Probably. Check the videos I posted on the previous page.

First Kickstarter I've backed as it's one of only two Platinum games I've never played, the other being the TNMT game that vanished quickly and didn't exactly get good reviews. I've maybe only seen ten minutes of gameplay overall so have little idea of what's in store, but know it's got a great reputation.

EDIT: The Wonderful 101 that is, not the TMNT game.

Edited by Yartek
Made it sound like I thought the TMNT game was good.

2 minutes ago, Yartek said:

First Kickstarter I've backed as it's one of only two Platinum games I've never played, the other being the TNMT game that vanished quickly and didn't exactly get good reviews. I've maybe only seen ten minutes of gameplay oeverall so have little idea of what's in store, but know it's got a great reputation.

Snmj.gif

• 5 weeks later...

New backer email:

Hey there all you Wonderful backers,

We hope you’re all taking care of yourselves in these difficult times. In this update, we want to address a few questions and concerns regarding game and reward delivery that have cropped up recently.

Physical Versions
Unfortunately, due to the effects of the COVID-19 epidemic, we’re expecting delays in preparing the US and EU physical versions. Backer rewards are being given the highest priority, but due to distribution issues, backers who have chosen physical versions of the game may receive it after general retail release. Our current estimate for the start of shipping rewards is late June. We apologize for the inconvenience, and thank you for your patience.

We know this is incredibly frustrating, and as a token of our apology for this, we will be providing all physical version backers with a Steam download code for The Wonderful 101: Remastered, so that they can play the game at the same time as backers who purchased the digital version.

Digital Versions
Codes for digital versions of The Wonderful 101: Remastered will go out to backers who pledged the corresponding tiers starting on May 7th. Due to the number of codes it may take some time for all backers to receive them, but we will work to get all digital tier backer codes out ahead of the retail release.

Physical Version Retail Release
Due to the effects of COVID-19 on production on distribution, the retail release date of The Wonderful 101: Remastered has been pushed back, to June 30th for the US version package release, and July 3rd for the EU version package release. While we are working to prioritize backer rewards, please bear in mind that the state of shipping and distribution in various areas may result in some backers getting their rewards after retail release. Again, we apologize for the unforeseen issues, and we are doing our best to get everyone the game as soon as possible.

We thank everyone for their patience in these unpredictable times, and hope you are all staying safe and healthy.

So the physical backer tier has been delayed until late June due to the lockdown, but everyone who backed that gets a free Steam code for the game beforehand. 

• 2 weeks later...