IGNORED

The Wonderful 101 - from Platinum - directed by Hideki Kamiya

hub2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I downloaded and played the demo of this for an hour last night. What a gloriously bonkers game, and exactly what I'd imagine a sequel to Viewtiful Joe to be like.

It probably took half an hour to figure out what to do and how to control your team, and I think I need to spend another hour or so to get remotely competent with the team attacks, and how to juggle between that and my own.

With Viewtiful Joe, I suffered from it just getting far too hard for me on "normal" difficulty. Is W101 the same, and should I pick "baby mode" from the start?

Hmm.. I don't know.

Setting up the enemies for damage is very much conditional, like Joe, but the dishing out of any subsequent pain is more like Bayonetta with more of an emphasis on juggles.

I'd stick to normal and try to learn enemy weaknesses before actually trying to hurt them. Remember that the climb-attack (X) is like your go-to poke attack, spamming it on an exposed enemy enough times will chime-in the stun and enable you to juggle or throw.

Also, watch Saurian's system breakdowns on Youtube...

• 2 weeks later...

The “personal experience” of the game’s narrative is placed above the quality of the core gameplay. Don’t get me wrong, I love a good narrative. I play role playing games quite often and love losing myself in the lore of such games. However, I am seeing that time and time again really brilliant skill-focused games are completely misrepresented and misunderstood because they are being judged on the quality of their narrative experience instead of the quality of their skill-focused mechanics and how much scope these mechanics allow for creative challenges and player self-improvement. These days you will often hear the phrase “This game is xx hours long”. The “value” of a game is quantified based on the total length of its narrative, not on the depth of the game’s mechanics or how long it holds the player’s attention as they strive to perfect their skills. This, I believe, is an attitude which is very damaging to the gaming medium as a whole. Games can be so much more than vehicles to tell stories.

I understand that professional game reviewers today have a very large number of games to review and cannot take the time to completely learn a particular game system, and at the same time it is also not reasonable for a studio to entrust the communication of a brand new set of game mechanics to the gaming press. But I would love to ask both parties to consider the implications of this situation: games which truly raise the bar in terms of play mechanics are suffering in reviews and in sales. What is the point of employing talented game designers to build new, original, and exciting game mechanics if the gaming press, and by extension the gaming public who trust in the press to provide them with information on new games, are not giving mechanically deep games an analysis which respects the purpose of these games?

I believe there are a significant number of players who want to be mentally stimulated by games which treat them with respect, and are brave enough to challenge themselves to the edge of their ability so that their eventual success is more meaningful. The whole point of these games is to learn how to play them well – it is this journey which makes them so satisfying to play and makes sharing ideas with other players so much fun. I would humbly ask that professional reviewers please consider trying to engage in this journey of discovery – if you need any help along the way I would love to provide it!

I started this a few nights ago. It's one of those games where I'll often have a whale of a time, until some terrible dischordant event, and then the illusion is shattered and it all turns into a colourful garbage swarm. I've replayed all of mission one until I got silvers on the three chapters, and it seems more fun on the second try, probably being one of the cases where the anticipation detracts from the experience? But some things are quite obviously just broken. in particular, I had at least three attempts at the orochi (owrochi?) boss, in which I had to rebuild the missing eye, but my centinels just would not, just wouldn't, build it. On my successful attempts I did nothing different whatsoever. It is rough around the edges, this game.

I've never had a problem with that part, despite doing it around thirty times all the way up to Pure Platinum. I've had it happen with a few of the toilets however - try slightly repositioning your leader next time it happens.

If you need help with anything else just ask. Remember to quickly kill all the little guys with large sword swipes before chipping away at the bigger ones. Spam 'X' as well, that's your poke. Unite Gun works wonders stunning armoured foes.

I've never had a problem with that part, despite doing it around thirty times all the way up to Pure Platinum. I've had it happen with a few of the toilets however - try slightly repositioning your leader next time it happens.

If you need help with anything else just ask. Remember to quickly kill all the little guys with large sword swipes before chipping away at the bigger ones. Spam 'X' as well, that's your poke. Unite Gun works wonders stunning armoured foes.

• 2 weeks later...

I started 'Very Easy' in an attempt to Pure Platinum every difficulty from the very beginning, and then Mario Kart happened. :(

Trying to get Pure Platinum on very easy is actually very hard... things die way too fast so you have to really tickle them to death if you want platinum on the combo requirement.

Nnnngh. I just finally opened my copy of this, disk in, update, then it crashes my wiiu when I try and start it, just churns the disk at a black screen. Internet says this is a problem, but quite a rare one? I can delete the update, but can't force it to start the game without updating even with the internet turned off... Anyone seen this? What do I do :(?

• 3 months later...