IGNORED

The Wonderful 101 - from Platinum - directed by Hideki Kamiya

hub2

Had this for a few days now, it really is all kinds of awesome. When I beat the boss on the first mission my wife remarked that it looked like the final boss from most games, which sums up nicely how OTT the whole thing is.

I think this game easily has what it takes for a spot on my all time top 10. Top 5 even. Let's see in a few months.

I think I'm more hyped to get back on playing it now than I was before it released.

Everyone needs to give this a proper chance. You are doing yourself a massive disservice if you ignore it.

This is not the sort of game you can return to after a month hiatus and expect to play well...or even competently. lol!

Just finished 002. The end of Operation bosses are the equivalent to an end-game boss in any other title. Crazy!

Any recommendations on what Custom Blocks i should buy/equip? Or should i save my credit card i just cooked up in the mixing pot?

I went with Hero Counter first for parrying which I blew my first card on, if you want to play more conservatively I'd pick Speed Charge (faster gauge replenishment - essential first purchase!) followed by Unite Charge (Hold attack button to charge larger versions of weapon) first.

After that it's up to you, simply try to avoid the ones that do stuff for you, or help you out if you get hit... Like those Auto ones.

Spend the Platinum Card on anything above 600k that takes your fancy. :)

Later on in the game you will unlock Hero Time to buy which you'll need 800k for, I think. You need that ASAP as it gives Witch Time after a well-timed Unite Spring.

I'd pick Speed Charge (faster gauge replenishment - essential first purchase!) followed by Unite Charge (Hold attack button to charge larger versions of weapon) first.

I just tried out Unite Charge and it seems pretty disappointing. Firstly it only works when you go from no weapon to a unite. Then it only upgrades by one size and stays that way for a limited time. I assumed it'd charge up for as many bars as you can handle until its maxxed out - to save you drawing larger shapes on screen.

Unless i'm doing it wrong? :huh:

Really enjoyed my time with this yesterday. Cannot wait to carry on later. It's all so deliciously OTT.

@ Fallows - Am i right in assuming you can only use the counter skill on certain (light) moves? Some of the big boys were still pummeling me. Either that or my timing was off.

@ Fallows - Am i right in assuming you can only use the counter skill on certain (light) moves? Some of the big boys were still pummeling me. Either that or my timing was off.

I've only really experimented with the counter vs. Vorkken where it was very effective. There's not really much point trying it on anything else as I've only been playing on Easy.

I'm starting a Normal run this week sometime as finishing the game on Easy didn't unlock Hard.

I do have one and I have the game, I just haven't sunk the time into it deserves. I planned multiple holidays for the rest of the year to give this and other games I had to shove aside for the time being the attention it deserves. :)

There is a difference between just playing a Platinum game and mastering it and I simply don't have the time for the latter at the moment. Can't wait to really dive into it in a few weeks time.

And yes, Bayonetta 2. Can't wait for that!

So I've defeated the big three headed dragon and...

I'm not actually enjoying it.

I want to. But I'm not able to play it how I want. 95% of the time I trigger the wrong morph. I can't beat even small baddies (like the tanks) as I can't get behind them to attack. I've got Unite Guts, but half the time it doesn't block anything. I have to spend so much time looking at the game pad to circle round citizens that I die.

Building a chain or a ladder rarely seems to work. Save points don't. The camera keeps zooming in even though I keep zooming it out.

On the dragon boss there's a bit where it says UNITE BUILD! And then the eye socket glows green. After 45 minutes of filling the eye socket my my heroes, it finally decided to build the eye.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, or maybe my Wii U is broken, but I seem to need to rely an randomness to progress. So frustrating.

Worst offender is draw circle. Circle goes red. Press A. Get a big blue sword. What? Why?

I've tried the stick too. Almost all the time it still insists on using whatever morph I used last, rather than whichever one I just drew.

Oh, and the hang glider bit was shit as well. Kept telling me to draw a triangle and press A. So I did. Could I get the thing to move? Could I fuck. Randomly mashing buttons eventually worked.

DeKay

Unite guts can be done before the attack hits it doesn't have to be exact timing. You should look to buy the dodge move ASAP (unite spring?) too as some moves cannot be blocked with unite guts. Dodge is VERY handy when your not used to fighting things as it has quite a lot of invincibility and can be done multiple times in a row to get you away from danger (but watch your unite gage)

For the tanks don't look to get behind them. When they shoot the bombs use unite guts to reflect the shots back. You can also use unite guts to make tanks flip over when they charge or jump at you. You should only look to attack them when the shield is gone or they're flipped on their back.

As others have mentioned, get used to using the right analogue to draw. When things get frantic it allows you to keep your eyes on the screen.

Thanks, but I've been trying all that already. Guts seems to just "run out" after about three seconds so I'm having to use it at the last second. There's no way of knowing if it will or won't dodge an attack.

Same goes for sword reflecting lasers. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

And gun picking up balls. Sometimes it does, sonetimes they explode.

Practice Guts on the tanks... They make a clearly audible noise before they prepare to fire their shot, as well as their turrets glowing orange. Initiate Guts as soon as you hear it and it will catch and rebound the shot 100% of the time. Some tanks fire lasers, unite sword (or simply hit 'A' if your leader is already a sword dude) and reflect the energy back.

Blade/sharp attacks will pierce Guts, Unite Spring to avoid them instead.

There's really no excuse when it comes to drawing stuff, especially with the stick. If you draw a circle and a sword comes out then.... that just shouldn't be happening at all.