IGNORED

The Wonderful 101 - from Platinum - directed by Hideki Kamiya

hub2

It is definitely a lot longer than 5-6 hours. In some ways it feels too long to me, as there is so much to replay to try to get scores but it makes the game work fine as the sort of game you can finish once and then not go back to as there is enough content.

I finally have some time to play this. Tomorrow from 9 'til the wife finishes work at 5pm, this will be getting rinsed.

How long is the single player campaign? I'll be playing on Easy because I'm crap at Platinum games even though I love them.

EDIT: Just read it's 5-6 hours? Sound about right? That's fine with me as I'd like to finish it, then replay for secrets, etc.

Not even close. True time is about over 12 hours. My first play through on nomral took 15 hours.

In the meantime have some music to hype you up

Interesting article:

http://zeboyd.com/2013/09/10/why-games-like-the-wonderful-101-are-a-poor-fit-for-the-gaming-press/

The press is even relatively well-equipped to handle competitive skill-focused multi-player games as long as they’re grounded in a well-established genre. Got a FPS to review? Jot down a list of features, compare its level of execution to the most popular games in the genre at the time, and you’re good.

Where it gets to be a lot more hit & miss is when the press is faced with a skill-focused game that doesn’t easily fit into a pre-established category. These are games designed to be played over a period of months, honing your craft & improving your scores & times, not rushed through to see what happens at the end of the story. And if the reviewer doesn’t even realize that this is a skill-focused game and instead thinks that the game is an experienced-focused game because it’s single-player and has a story? Heaven help the developer of that game who is hoping for a good metacritic score because they’re not going to get it.

I've been hooked on collecting and managed to find all of the main Wonderful 100 yesterday - now its all about trying to unlock as many Bottle Caps to get the mystery members. While hunting out heart pieces today I discovered a method for dealing with those huge dragon bastards.

If you hide behind them then you are 100% safe from that rocket attack they're so fond of doing, while back there right up their bum you can lay the smack down...the only attack it leaves the dragon is a hugely signposted tail stomp which you can easily block with Unite Guts and this leaves poor dragon all messed up and ready for more beatings.

Its stuff like that, when you go from straight up hating an enemy to completely destroying it, that makes Platinum live up to the hype.

First you have to use climb attack until you hear the chime sound. Then hit jump quickly followed by attack which will launch them. Then you can go through as many attacks as you can pull off before they fall passed you and out of reach. Just before they fall passed you hit Tombstone to hold them in place and begin your attack again, because the climb attack also acts as a target you'll zoom back up to them again without the need to jump.

If you're bothered by scoring points then the best way to get a Platinum for Combo is to attack an enemy in the air (so juggling as discussed) or after dizzying an enemy by blocking their attack with Unite Guts. In both these situations your attacks earn more points. I normally get Platinums for both Time and Combo - I just suck at not getting hit...

This is straight-up amazing.

EDIT: I've had to have a break after the first three missions. The game is intense and nerve-wrackingly thrilling. I've been laughing and smiling, shouting at the TV and punching the air when victorious.

ROBOT BOSS BATTLE IS AMAZING

(And I'm only playing on Easy)

I tried the demo of this again today after playing it once a few weeks ago and not really getting what all the fuss was about.

For some reason it clicked today and I really enjoyed it.

Definitely planning on getting this game at some stage, after I finish Zelda etc.

I tried the demo of this again today after playing it once a few weeks ago and not really getting what all the fuss was about.

For some reason it clicked today and I really enjoyed it.

Definitely planning on getting this game at some stage, after I finish Zelda etc.

I've just tried the demo in the last 5 minutes and not really understood what the game is or what I'm doing, I'm overwhelmed. In this age of hand-holding I need this demo to hold mine more :(

I've got well into using the bomb once I realised its a million times easier to draw with the stick instead of the touch screen...it's incredible for taking out those little buggers...it's all I do in the load screen now. Been focusing on levelling up certain characters as its faster if you select them...great way to get me to stop just using the Sword all the time. Starting to think this is game of the year...I mean The Last Of Us was an amazing experience, but this is just an amazing game.

I've decided to park this for now until I've finished Last of Us and Pikmin 3. I love what I've played but I want to get properly torn into it...

And the fact that I love it so much is making me get through Last of us.

W101. It's so good, it makes you finish other games!