IGNORED

The Wonderful 101 - from Platinum - directed by Hideki Kamiya

hub2

Those Saur videos just show how incredibly clever the control system is, all those dual functions. I was using the team attack highlighting thing to keep track of where enemies were amongst my huddle of heroes- never realised it was even more of a target function than that. I imagine this game could have turned out a total mess in many other game-producing hands.

Plus the game works on the full spectrum from 'immediate fun' to 'incredibly deep combat system'. Amazing.

Occassionally I lose track of my character in all the chaos, or get hit by an attack from an enemy off screen, but I can forgive those things. Especially since when I start to dip further into the mechanics, those things won't be an issue. It's not perfect, but there are just so many more things it gets right than wrong.

Even the little references like Wonder Green calling his gun as Christine Daaé are amazing :P

You HAVE to buy the jelly and spring unites though really, it's a bit weird that the game doesn't make much of them. Although if you've played it for a while perhaps you don't, but I've found them invaluable.

I don't really get the Unite Builds though, especially against that flying hydra thing. There are two builds in that I just couldn't do for ages even though I didn't seem to do anything differently at all when they finally worked.

Mate this game is so, so much deeper than I originally thought. That Saur video explains so much, think I just had a moment of epiphany.

Gonna have a proper watch and then It's time to bust this game's arse open with a unite fist.

Had a good session on this today, some great moments on the lava level. Loved battling the two

robots on the unstable platform...fighting and then running to the other side to balance the platform while firing shots at them to keep the combo going. Great design. The lava flow puzzle on the pad screen was also a highlight. Got my fourth heart segment on that bit.

Brilliant game.

The one thing I don't get yet from those Saur videos- I can understand how (kind of) you can switch between the different forms mid combo, but what I don't understand exactly yet is why you'd want to- IE, you can do that hand stinger move, and then to the sword uppercut move, but couldn't you just to the hand uppercut after the hand stinger anyway? Or am I missing something? Both uppercuts with different weapons seem to be the same.

I'm finding it hard to shift form to do the above combo too, I can start the stinger, and draw the sword fine, but I'm assuming I then have to press A to confirm sword form, and then B and then A to activate the sword uppercut? I usually find I end up doing the uppercut out of range of my target, but that's probably just my timing.

If you have the mindset of Kampiya and Saur, you want to switch things up as much as possible. It's all about style. :)

Ahh ok, that's fair enough- his videos do look amazing.

I just wasn't sure whether I was missing anything from a technical angle, like you can't uppercut with the same weapon after using a stinger move, or that each weapon has a slightly different effect with an uppercut (other than the obvious things like I guess sword has a longer reach etc).

I can just about cope with going from a hand stinger into a sword uppercut, but I really, really have to concentrate- there's no way I can just bring out that move casually in the midst of chaotic combat at the moment :P

Look at Bayonetta, you can finish that and get Pure Platinums using the same damn combo over and over. It's just not fun playing like that though.

I actually think the player should be punished for playing that way (ie. No score multiplier, or a diminish at least for repeated combos), but I fear that that would make things even more inaccessible as they seemingly already are.

Look at Bayonetta, you can finish that and get Pure Platinums using the same damn combo over and over. It's just not fun playing like that though.

I actually think the player should be punished for playing that way (ie. No score multiplier, or a diminish at least for repeated combos), but I fear that that would make things even more inaccessible as they seemingly already are.

That's true, but I imagine using different combos at different times makes you more efficient at killing stuff. Here, so far, it's just been explained as an aesthetic thing for the switching weapons, but there could well be more to it.

That's true, but I imagine using different combos at different times makes you more efficient at killing stuff. Here, so far, it's just been explained as an aesthetic thing for the switching weapons, but there could well be more to it.

It increases your score I think as well as probably deplete your unity meter slower.

I completed the game on normal which unlocks hard (the words fuck that spring to mind, I'll try it some other time).

It increases your score I think as well as probably deplete your unity meter slower.

I completed the game on normal which unlocks hard (the words fuck that spring to mind, I'll try it some other time).

Ahh ok, that makes sense- more combo points!!

I've only played up to the first part of operation 2 (playing on normal), replayed the earlier missions 2-3 times each til I get a bit better at the basic combat.

That's probably the best way of going about it. By the end of the game you'll be doing all sorts of moves. Also make sure to check out the wonderful mart for things and the menu system holds a treasure trove of things that can help you out including a full move list (the unlocked moves can be VERY handy).

As a side note I think this game has one of the best soundtracks for a very long time. Totally epic.

I completed it without actually knowing this. Which in most games would make me feel pretty stupid, but there's such a load of variety in the combat in this you can play it pretty much however you like and it still works.

I just used the jelly and the spring incessantly instead, and loads and loads of unite and team morphs simultaneously.

Well, you obviously don't need to do the climb attack, but it certainly helps when you start out to control the mayhem a little bit. This guy doesn't seem to bother with it (apart from on the large monsters)...love the way he clears that area and puts the sword in the lock right at the last second just because COOL!