Wii U: Pikmin 3

Dr Derek Doctors

Oh it's happened to me about 4 or 5 times so it's definitely an issue. Also I had it a few times where about 20 of them just fell off a bridge while I was walking over it forcing me to restart a day. Also It can be a bit of a pain getting your reticule in the right place when fighting bosses. All minor things but problems regardless.

Nintendo aren't immune to criticisms like this.

Agree with you about the length though, even though I wanted more, it took me about 14 hours to complete my play though (including replays of days) but even if it was much shorter, if it gave me the amount of joy this did, then I'd still be happy.

Still, best not to focus on the flaws and celebrate a really good game for a console that lets face it, needs it.

Isn't the pikmin falling off a bridge part of pikmin?

Isn't the pikmin falling off a bridge part of pikmin?

It didn't feel like it at the time, but possibly.

I mean I ran around a corner, and onto the middle of the bridge and the slower Pikmin tried to make a more direct run towards me and fell through the little gap between the bridge and a rock next to it. I supposed I could have just slowed down before crossing the bridge, but if I did that every time, traveling would have become a bit of a chore.

Again though, it didn't bother me too much. It happened a few times and as I reloaded the day because of the big loss in Pikmin I kind of blamed myself for not having the guts to continue and rebuild more than anything, if that makes sense. But the whole 'falling off the bridge' thing certainly didn't feel as though it was supposed to happen, or was a punishment for doing something I wasn't supposed to be doing.

I have this pre ordered for Friday and planning to play it using the WiiU pad but would I be better using remote + nunchuck as mentioned in a couple of the reviews?

Have played both 1 and 2 on the Gamecube and have resisted picking up waggle sticks for the WiiU so far.....

Shepherding your unruly mob is a big part of what makes Pikmin special. Your guys are obedient to a fault, and you're responsible for them all, from the flowered-up guys at the front to the freshly-plucked stragglers. I tended to find their AI and pathfinding was much better than in previous games, but if you run too far ahead, they're going to try and use short-cuts to catch up, even if that means hurling themselves off a bridge to get to you. It's a way of punishing carelessness and impatience, and it's a deliberate mechanic rather than a flaw. I can understand why some might see it the other way, but if you keep them all close - or split them into smaller groups, one with each captain, say - then you won't lose them to accidents like that.

Pikmin is much better with Wii remote and nunchuck but I'm torn on this once since the map seems so useful, especially since I'll be managing three separate squads. Oh no!

Just have the GamePad in your lap or on a nearby surface. I had it perched on the table next to me, about chest height and just prodded it when I needed to during the day (mainly to send other captains to specific areas of the map while I did something else) and picked it up at the end to plan for the next day etc.

Shepherding your unruly mob is a big part of what makes Pikmin special. Your guys are obedient to a fault, and you're responsible for them all, from the flowered-up guys at the front to the freshly-plucked stragglers. I tended to find their AI and pathfinding was much better than in previous games, but if you run too far ahead, they're going to try and use short-cuts to catch up, even if that means hurling themselves off a bridge to get to you. It's a way of punishing carelessness and impatience, and it's a deliberate mechanic rather than a flaw. I can understand why some might see it the other way, but if you keep them all close - or split them into smaller groups, one with each captain, say - then you won't lose them to accidents like that.

I disagree. The fun in the unruly mob set up comes in being attacked. The way they scatter and having to pick them up. Setting them on tasks while overlooking enemies only for them to die out because you didn't think your plan through then gathering some Pikmin to help those in distress.

Pikmin getting caught in landscape like water is a good mechanic when you make mistakes. But crossing a bridge to sometimes have 20 of them jump in the water feels less likea. Player error and not of an AI one.

I also had a few moments where I accidentally whistled in some red Pikmin into water. Totally my fault. That's different.

It didn't feel like it at the time, but possibly.

I mean I ran around a corner, and onto the middle of the bridge and the slower Pikmin tried to make a more direct run towards me and fell through the little gap between the bridge and a rock next to it. I supposed I could have just slowed down before crossing the bridge, but if I did that every time, traveling would have become a bit of a chore.

Again though, it didn't bother me too much. It happened a few times and as I reloaded the day because of the big loss in Pikmin I kind of blamed myself for not having the guts to continue and rebuild more than anything, if that makes sense. But the whole 'falling off the bridge' thing certainly didn't feel as though it was supposed to happen, or was a punishment for doing something I wasn't supposed to be doing.

Pikmin has always done that - makes crossing water without blue pikmins really tense. I always assumed it was part of it... don't run away ahead too far.

That sounds like what would otherwise be called poor path finding, which is a flaw.

It sounds as though it's worth docking at least 40% of pointage from any review as a result. Because Nintendo should know better.

Pikmin has always done that - makes crossing water without blue pikmins really tense. I always assumed it was part of it... don't run away ahead too far.

It sounds as though it's worth docking at least 40% of pointage from any review as a result. Because Nintendo should know better.

Yes scott. That's what I was suggesting. Exactly that.

There's nothing wrong with the pathfinding. It's a bit daft to suggest Nintendo couldn't code the AI properly. Pathfinding isn't all that hard.

What we're talking about is entirely deliberate. Of course you don't have to agree it's a positive feature.

That sounds like what would otherwise be called poor path finding, which is a flaw.

Possibly. I mean, I never encountered anything quite like that, and I've been playing it for 25 hours and counting. I mean, if you whistle back a bunch of Pikmin through an area with flames around, they'll usually pick their way through sensibly, though walking directly through flames with, say, flying Pikmin, and they'll all start scattering as their leaves burn.

I might just be fortunate, or maybe it's that I err on the side of caution when I'm playing because I hate losing Pikmin unnecessarily, but any time Pikmin wandered into the drink it was always my own fault.

I gave it an 8/10 alongside a gleaming review. I never dock points... (20% by the way) I tend to see it as them failing to earn them. I don't see why that's a issue. I've never been unfair to Nintendo, I don't think.

I really enjoyed Pikmin 3, I just didn't consider it a 9 or 10/10. What I've been doing here is explaining why because people have asked or even said that I've been too critical for some sort of personal agenda, and that might come across as me being negative about the game. That's why I wanted to drop this odd discussion and talk about how good it is. Talk about why I gave it an 8 and not why I didn't give it a 10.

But if you're passionate about this game and believe it should score higher, find a review that agrees with that and go with his opinion and not mine!

There's nothing wrong with the pathfinding. It's a bit daft to suggest Nintendo couldn't code the AI properly. Pathfinding isn't all that hard.

What we're talking about is entirely deliberate. Of course you don't have to agree it's a positive feature.

Well yes, but as I say, it's not like they just ran off into a blatant hazard. It was mostly between a rock and the side of a bridge.

It's not a good feature when it forces you to stop and wait to regroup constantly or makes you lose lots of Pikmin.

In my opinion of course.

We've spoken more about this on here than I did in the in the half of a paragraph that I gave it in my review.

I don't think I made a big deal out of it.

It's not a good feature when it forces you to stop and wait to regroup constantly or makes you lose lots of Pikmin.

In my opinion of course.

That's why it's always best to give them nectar so they all follow you at the same pace. If they're all flowers then you shouldn't have to wait for any of them. It's only when you've got a mix of faster and slower Pikmin that you have to stop and wait, and again, that's a deliberate mechanic to foster a stronger connection. If their behaviour was perfect, you'd feel less inclined to keep a close eye on them. It confers a greater sense of responsibility for their wellbeing. An analogy I very nearly used in my review was of three teachers trying to control a group of kids on a field trip - you have the better-behaved who you don't have to look after so much, and then you have the slower kids or the ones that mess about a bit, and you're equally responsible for making sure they're all safely back on the bus at the end of the day.

As Mr. Pickford said, it's entirely fair to disagree that it's a good idea. I'm just pointing out why I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing.

people have asked or even said that I've been too critical for some sort of personal agenda, and that might come across as me being negative about the game. That's why I wanted to drop this odd discussion and talk about how good it is.

There was no suggestion of a personal agenda. I think journalists in general seem to take a particular stance with Nintendo which is a little different to how they approach games by other devs. I don't think there's anything sinister or corrupt about it. I just find my self mentally changing the scores for Nintendo games.

Seems odd to try to shut down the discussion though.

There was no suggestion of a personal agenda. I think journalists in general seem to take a particular stance with Nintendo which is a little different to how they approach games by other devs. I don't think there's anything sinister or corrupt about it. I just find my self mentally changing the scores for Nintendo games.

Seems odd to try to shut down the discussion though.

Hahaha! Yeah I suppose it does.

I just thought it was best to talk about how good it was instead of the only real negative thing I had to say about it to be honest. Those that are looking forward to it will adore it, no doubt!

It just feels so different and I can't tell you how much I love Alph as a character.

When I play games to review I try to concentrate on my emotional reaction to it, if that makes sense. I try not to concern myself with the developers. If I enjoy a game, I review it well. That's it.

That's why it's always best to give them nectar so they all follow you at the same pace. If they're all flowers then you shouldn't have to wait for any of them. It's only when you've got a mix of faster and slower Pikmin that you have to stop and wait, and again, that's a deliberate mechanic to foster a stronger connection. If their behaviour was perfect, you'd feel less inclined to keep a close eye on them. It confers a greater sense of responsibility for their wellbeing. An analogy I very nearly used in my review was of three teachers trying to control a group of kids on a field trip - you have the better-behaved who you don't have to look after so much, and then you have the slower kids or the ones that mess about a bit, and you're equally responsible for making sure they're all safely back on the bus at the end of the day.

As Mr. Pickford said, it's entirely fair to disagree that it's a good idea. I'm just pointing out why I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing.

Yeah I hear you.

But don't you think punishment would be that you have to go back for the Pikmin? Not that you lose 20 and feel you have no chance in taking down a boss so you reset your day?

I gave it an 8/10 alongside a gleaming review. I never dock points... (20% by the way) I tend to see it as them failing to earn them. I don't see why that's a issue. I've never been unfair to Nintendo, I don't think.

I really enjoyed Pikmin 3, I just didn't consider it a 9 or 10/10. What I've been doing here is explaining why because people have asked or even said that I've been too critical for some sort of personal agenda, and that might come across as me being negative about the game. That's why I wanted to drop this odd discussion and talk about how good it is. Talk about why I gave it an 8 and not why I didn't give it a 10.

But if you're passionate about this game and believe it should score higher, find a review that agrees with that and go with his opinion and not mine!

Well yes, but as I say, it's not like they just ran off into a blatant hazard. It was mostly between a rock and the side of a bridge.

In my opinion of course.

We've spoken more about this on here than I did in the in the half of a paragraph that I gave it in my review.

I don't think I made a big deal out of it.

BTW - it wasn't a personal thing - I think your review was great.

Having watched a video its the best game ever, a system seller and Elmo is wrong - well we all know Elmo is wrong but i mean wrong.

(ordered it, cant wait to play it as i loved 1 but didnt get into 2)

Can't argue with that.