Wii U: Pikmin 3

Dr Derek Doctors

So I got a text from a mate who works in a GAME store just now, he said they've recieved four copies today with the mail, and I can get one if I want it. I said yes.

My question to the wise ones: How does Nintendo handle earlybirds? I know people have had their Xbox accounts locked for playing stuff like Gears or Halo before the official release, will that be the case on the WiiU, as the game isn't officially out until friday?

So I got a text from a mate who works in a GAME store just now, he said they've recieved four copies today with the mail, and I can get one if I want it. I said yes.

My question to the wise ones: How does Nintendo handle earlybirds? I know people have had their Xbox accounts locked for playing stuff like Gears or Halo before the official release, will that be the case on the WiiU, as the game isn't officially out until friday?

Pretty sure you'll be fine. I set my account up normally and have been playing a review copy for a couple of weeks with no problems.

Review up today by the way.

The edge review still works on the mobile site.

If you really care about Pikmin 3, don't read it. It spoils a few things that I perposfully removed from my review.

It has some magic moments in it that you should really enjoy without the knowledge.

Good review that. I can see those little niggles taking the score down a bit so a very sensible score to give it.

Cheers mate. I suppose it's partly due to the high bar Nintendo have set, but I really loved my time with Pikmin.

Oh, and some reviews will complain that it's too short. It's not too short at all. It's just not a 'big' game. Most of your time is spent revisiting places you've been to day after day in order to crack what you're supposed to do.

That's by no means a bad thing.

Nintendo games seem to get knocked down quite harshly for trivial or imaginary problems.

This looks like a classic to me. Can't wait to find out for sure this week.

It depends what you mean. I'd agree with you for some games, but this one definitely has some issues, but that's down to what the game is all about (control style and all that)

Game length complaint is obviously cobblers.

Pikmin getting stuck in scenery? Never seen that. They do get left behind but it's your fault. Going off the previous 2 games of course.

I loved the controls in the previous versions so not too worried about that. I can't remember if I ever tried the wii pointer version.

Game length complaint is obviously cobblers.

Pikmin getting stuck in scenery? Never seen that. They do get left behind but it's your fault. Going off the previous 2 games of course.

I loved the controls in the previous versions so not too worried about that. I can't remember if I ever tried the wii pointer version.

Oh it's happened to me about 4 or 5 times so it's definitely an issue. Also I had it a few times where about 20 of them just fell off a bridge while I was walking over it forcing me to restart a day. Also It can be a bit of a pain getting your reticule in the right place when fighting bosses. All minor things but problems regardless.

Nintendo aren't immune to criticisms like this.

Agree with you about the length though, even though I wanted more, it took me about 14 hours to complete my play though (including replays of days) but even if it was much shorter, if it gave me the amount of joy this did, then I'd still be happy.

Still, best not to focus on the flaws and celebrate a really good game for a console that lets face it, needs it.

First Pikmin game in years... really looking forward to this. The problem with Edge's review is that it's assuming everyone has played the first Pikmin. Given how long ago it was released - there are some kinds now who will be playing this that weren't even born when the first Pikmin came out. This should be reviewed as though it's the first Pikmin game you've ever played.

Nintendo aren't immune to criticisms like this.

Of course not. I'm saying Nintendo games are criticised more harshly than others. They're marked down for minor stuff which wouldn't affect the score of games made by other developers. It's like Nintendo games have some weight of responsibility to be something beyond what's expected of ordinary games.

Of course not. I'm saying Nintendo games are criticised more harshly than others. They're marked down for minor stuff which wouldn't affect the score of games made by other developers. It's like Nintendo games have some weight of responsibility to be something beyond what's expected of ordinary games.

Yeah totally. But that happens with most really successful developers.

Just listen to some of the shit flung at Rockstar.

It's been 10 years since the last original Pikmin so I think criticisms of it being over familiar are a little harsh.

This does piss me off with reviews of Nintendo stuff, it's the same as criticisms of Mario and yet it rarely gets levelled at much more over saturated games and genres. I genuinely can't think of anything that's like Pikmin that has been out since Pikmin. If they're only comparing it to the fact it's similar to the previous 2, then that's a good thing, they were good games.

If anything, from the demo I played of wonderful 101, that is quite similar to Pikmin.