Wii U: Pikmin 3

Dr Derek Doctors

It's hardly a slavering preview of Knack - 'few [ideas in the demo] are satisfactorily explored'; 'the pace is sluggish'; and so on, they say. Before basically implying it's not very successful. True, it gets more space than Pikmin 3, but SM 3D World, Bayo 2, Mario Kart 8, all on the Wii U, get full pages too, and lots of other games - like Gran Turismo 6, Rain, Outlast - get the same single-para treatment that Pikmin 3 does. I don't think it's about 'bias' really, is it?

This game still looks like a mixture of confectionery and fine jewellery, though - just completely irresistible. If it reviews well, hopefully it'll lead to a bit of an upswing in sales. I know I'm tempted. They really should have pulled out all the stops to make it a launch title, and taken advantage of our naivety trust in the future release schedule. I think the next Kart looks great too, and if they can do something new and exciting with Zelda (the new one, not the WW HD remake), then we're talking serious business.

E3 was like six weeks before the game's release and there were many other things more deserving of the space. There were 89 games in that E3 section. We've given it plenty of coverage in the past and the review next issue will be four pages. I'll sleep just fine.

And if you thought that Knack writeup was "slavering" I'd suggest giving it another read.

I'm on the verge of jumping into WiiU land because of this game. It looks beautiful, and I'm sure it plays as good as it looks.

I just don't want there to be another massive (Nintendo) drought after playing it if I do pick one up.

When Iwata (or was it Shigsy) recently said they underestimated the huge resource overhead with the shift to HD, did they intimate that it was something they were actively resolving, of was it just a statement on the slow take off of their output?

Well, my game time is pretty limited these days, so I'm hoping the Ninty big hitters start to flow a little quicker.

Obviously, I'll be picking up Wind Waker, but how far off is Mario Kart, and then how far after that for the next must have?

Define must have i guess?

Mario Kart is next year, April is best guess at the moment..

Personally with Pikmin 3 you also really want NSMBU, Lego City, Nintendoland as a minimum and then add in any 3rd party titles you want - i love Sonic racing transformed on the wii u plus have bought a few e-store games and VC games!

As well as going through my wii games (i havent finished galaxy 2 yet :o ) im not finding the wii u has a lack of software but a) i dont have huge amounts of time b) i have a PS3 and BF3 addiction c) loads of games on ps3 i havent played/got/finished so for me i can live with the slack nintendo release schedule but it may not work for others!!!

I'm thinking it's got to be proper Nintendo all-guns-blazing that'll be defining a must have, at the moment at least.

I'm also planning on grabbing a PS3 sometime soon, so add my limited time to the amazing PS3 back catalogue and the best games on the WiiU, it pretty obvious I'll need to trim it down somewhere.

Ideally I want the WiiU to be a nice steady stream, whereas I'm hoping to blast through all the best of the PS3 before I get a PS4/One for Destiny.

I really have got the best part of my gaming life in front of me, but two kids are telling me I'm not going to be able to enjoy it to the full, so I'm going to have to be pretty critical in my choices, unfortunately.

You have kids, get a wii u - both mine are further into Luigi than i am and have put far more hours into mario than me, its utterly brilliant single player and multi player and if they arent playing it they are watching youtube vids about it!! Both have started playing galaxy 1&2 now so its like a proper gaming education!

Thats even before i mention nintendo land and mp!!

A ps3 with PS+ account and a wii u offers more gaming content than the average dad can ever manage, im selling on my 360 as i cant possibly give it any time and stopped paying for gold a while back - i think the wii u will be the perfect ps4 companion and easily the best kids/family console just for the nintendo stuff!

Well, my game time is pretty limited these days, so I'm hoping the Ninty big hitters start to flow a little quicker.

Obviously, I'll be picking up Wind Waker, but how far off is Mario Kart, and then how far after that for the next must have?

I'm reading ONM and the line up from now until the end of the year is very good - about half a dozen exclusives and some good cross platform stuff too.

Mario Kart is listed for next spring, and after that details of Miyamoto's new franchise. Smash Brothers is listed for late 2014.

Define must have i guess?

Mario Kart is next year, April is best guess at the moment..

Personally with Pikmin 3 you also really want NSMBU....

I'd like to mirror this statement. I just got my WiiU yesterday and NSMBU is indeed a sick game. It's very minimal on the presentation but when you start playing you immediately think "aawwwwww yeeeeeaaaaahh". I'm desperately looking forward to digging deeper with it tonight after work.

It should certainly not be discounted as it basically feels like a true SMW2 but with 3D graphics.

I have NintendoLand (box-in) sat unwrapped as well. Lego? I don't know... I've always hated the Lego games franchise.

I'd like to mirror this statement. I just got my WiiU yesterday and NSMBU is indeed a sick game. It's very minimal on the presentation but when you start playing you immediately think "aawwwwww yeeeeeaaaaahh". I'm desperately looking forward to digging deeper with it tonight after work.

It should certainly not be discounted as it basically feels like a true SMW2 but with 3D graphics.

I have NintendoLand (box-in) sat unwrapped as well. Lego? I don't know... I've always hated the Lego games franchise.

NSMBU plus the Luigi DLC has probably eclipsed SMW as my favourite 2D platform game, it's that good. The challenge mode could be a game in itself and is a feature I really hope returns in Super Mario 3D World later this year.

I posted this in the main Wii U thread, but it makes sense here too given the question above:

Nintendo Wii U Releases

---

June - Game & Wario

July - Super Luigi U & Pikmin 3

August - Wonderful 101

September - Erm...

October - Wind Waker HD & Wii Party U

November - Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze

December - Super Mario 3D World & Wii Fit U & Mario & Sonic at the Winter Olympic Games

Early 2014 - Mario Kart, Bayonetta 2, Super Smash Bros

It's no.1 in Japan with 90,000 copies sold.

The hardware numbers saw a boost as well - it's the highest selling console for the week (still behind the 3DS, but everything always is). Fingers crossed it's the (very small) beginning of a revival for the platform.