Watch Dogs - 27th May - CEX 5/5

elmo

This is a good review, but its premise is flawed. Gamers don't actually want innovation, challenge or originality - they want a shiny retread of what they've experienced before with easily digestible twists. So in that respect, Watch Dogs is clearly an outstanding success.

Far Cry 2 teaches that. The only vaguely interesting FPS made in the last ten years, and it made the majority of gamers cry. And even that had its most interesting corners buffed down for mass consumption.

It's kind of ridiculous to expect games to be anything more than they will always be - syrup for the mind.

So we should be happy by the lack of any actual progress? Surely we can be a bit more optimistic and demanding of our medium, no matter the results.

I get what they were trying to achieve with all the broken codec style and pixellated videos but its just so damn annoying. Every time I see one I have the urge to update the bloody console to play them properly, so annoying.

The more i play of the online, the more i think it needs a bit of a tweak. When either doing trailing or hacking you are limited by where you are placed on the map. Sometimes you get loads of cameras and places to hide, other times you're in a field and get spotted straight away. But there is one big issue with the hacking. If a player runs away right at the start, it then shows on their map where you are exactly! So they can just drive back quickly and know the exact area you are in.

The hacking has a nice idea that the more you hack, the smaller the search area for them is, but this area becomes far too small near the end, especially as the hacking takes a long time to do. Walking in a crowd of people does not disguise you well enough , especially as their phone can see if you're a hacker or not almost instantly. Theres also no button prompts for being able to sit down or interact with things, thus you are either walking or standing still. I've found the best way to hack is actually to hide behind a car and just move around it crouched but im sure theres got to be a better way than that. It just needs some stat tweaking because at the moment the hacking is far to biased on the person being hacked with the hacker not only having to work a lot harder but also getting punished a lot more if they fail. Plus its a shame you can't hack your friends games, or at least have it choose them at random more often than randoms.

The digital trips are awful.... really, really bad.

I dunno, I lost an hour to the spider tank one earlier! Got quite into levelling up the tank and getting more and more ballsy with my tactics :D

Otherwise I did my first ctOS building, which was fun, I Master Ninja'd it, took out the entire place with fuse boxes, a cargo crate +gravity, distraction takedowns and long range silent pistol. Had a really good bit of luck blowing up a guy carrying explosives that took out 5 guys at once! Was also fun just freaking out the place by making things open/close or move generally.

Also had fun clearing my first gang hideout. I can see things getting repetitive, but I am enjoying it at the moment.

I literally just drive around waiting for the flashing blue button to appear at the bottom of the screen to neutralise pursuers. The more hacking options you have, the better obviously. The chases at the beginning are actually probably harder because you have limited options. Soon enough you'll have steam pipes, road spikes, bollards etc.

If you do manage to break line of sight then hiding in an alley and turning off your car engine is pretty effective.

Any tips when in car pursuits? Really struggling to knock people off the road, and the hack "Neutralise" on lights doesn't always seem to be any good :(

Don't forget to use your focus (clicking the right stick) and then look behind when crossing intersections or roadstrips/steam pipes to give yourself a little time to hack the item after you've passed it.

Ta chaps.

Next question - in missions is there any reason not to kill guards etc. I've been trying stealthy silent takedowns, but seems to be hindering me somewhat (I know you lose rep for Civie deaths)

Edit - Doing online stuff is fun, but I olten get "Connection lost" about 1/2-3/4 of way through when I'm winning. PLEASE tell me there's a penalty if people stop game/net connection and crash out?

Spent 8 hours playing the game today and I'm really enjoying it. I've done act 1 of the main missions, probably would have done more but got involved in Spider tank, convoy missions, Ctos tower hacking, killing cops which took me to anarchist, vigilante missions to get my bad rating down, QR code finding, hacking online, getting hacked online and general online play. I do love the hacking is so seamless, from single player to online and back again without noticing. The game looks excellent, especially in the rain, all these little moans and grown I keep hearing about the graphics is a bit pathetic as unless you look for them they aren't ruining your experience. Thinking the other way round though, the water/wet effects stand out, the feel of the city is solid and alive and the driving, now that I'm not thinking gta, is great.

I've also learnt a fair bit about the skill tree today which yesterday was going over my head.

All in all, the game is thoroughly enjoyable and when you stop playing it like GTA it's superb.

...and when you stop playing it like GTA it's superb.

That was the key for me early on. Once I stopped playing it like GTA, and the muscle memory slowly subsided, this became so much better.

While I could spend a long time listing things I'd have liked to have seen in this, and it does have some substantial problems that hurt it, they pale in comparison to the amount of fun I've had with it. It's far from flawless, but it's a whole lot of fun and it's made me happy I bought a ps4 (I choose to ignore the fact it's available on the old gen hardware)