Watch Dogs - 27th May - CEX 5/5

elmo

As for the hacking.... it's ok. For instance, you can steal someone's bank details walking down the street and then withdraw the money from an ATM. But it's just too trivial to make it enjoyable. Five minutes of grinding like that and you can buy pretty much anything you want.

You can stop trains, raise bridges and barriers, explode sewer grates (...not sure how that works, mind) and raise/lower forklifts. All pretty fun the first time you do it. But it's not as big an element of the game as you may expect.

This was my fear, that after the initial wow factor of first few hours that the games most unique feature (the hacking side of things) would just become a repetitive and soon forgot element of the gameplay.

Feels like this may end up like the original Assassins Creed and need another game or two before it really hits its stride.

This was my fear, that after the initial wow factor of first few hours that the games most unique feature (the hacking side of things) would just become a repetitive and soon forgot element of the gameplay.

Feels like this may end up like the original Assassins Creed and need another game or two before it really hits its stride.

Don't get me wrong, it's not terrible. And occasionally you do get some pretty special moments emerging. But by and large it's usually just a lot of camera-jumping when you're on a mission.

Something else that I remembered: I'm playing on normal difficulty, but it's usually inordinately difficult/impossible to complete a sneaking mission without either leaping through the CCTV or resorting to balls to the wall gunplay. You can't simply stealth your way through in person as there are always far too many opponents.

Escaping by car from pursuing enemies is also fucking hard. You nearly always have to jump in a river and stay there until they give up the chase.

Been on this for about 90 minutes. Initial impressions are that the hacking stuff is pretty average. It makes some bits fun but generally it seems pretty scripted. The hacking stuff in the sandbox stuff is very generic. Press X, hold X. There seems little to show it's anything more then a generic gameplay device. Anyone still expecting this trancendental open sandbox with endless possibilities is going to be disappointed I think. It's very much AC with some extra button presses.

It seems pretty good though, the world is nicely done, the driving seems easier to just cruise about, the handling is ok, I mean more that it's easier to get about without getting into trouble than GTA for example. The stealth stuff seems pretty forgiving so far as well, it's pretty straightforward, but it makes you feel confident in the systems.

It's quite pretty to my eye. Messed about with the settings, but oddly changing a lot of the graphic options from medium to high, and then doubling the resolution seems to have little effect on the framerate for me. FPS is pretty patchy, I'm veering wildly between 35-50 fps, but it generally runs smoothly and looks good.

Ooof, looks like the ability to view a bit about each NPC could throw up some sinister results:

u6RJ3oq.jpg

I mean when you see stuff like that, do you have the option to confront them about it?

No. The vast majority is just pointless background information. You get a different prompt when you can actually do something with the hacking.

Also just realised how stupid it is to have blood donor as occupation. What, he does it for a living? I didn't realise donating blood paid well enough to make a living from.

Stick to the campaign, focus skill point spending on new hacking options. The reason escaping is so hard early on is that in a few hours you'll have half a dozen ways to stop pursuers.

Same applies to the stealth stuff, thinking about it.

I'm definitely enjoying, so I'll see what the extras get me.

I fucking hope so. Apart from the hand to hand combat Sleeping Dogs was terrible.

Woah there, the driving might be a bit iffy, especially bikes, but other than that its good open world fun with an engaging story to match. If Watch Dogs is as entertaining to play (and with better driving mechanics) then im sold.

It's far too cluttered, graphics are wank, this Aiden guy as a lead is as interesting as aids.

Gtv5 last gen, sleeping dogs last gen both piss all over it. Buyers remorse has set in. Fucking load of wank. Getting traded.

Yeah, Sleeping Dogs was fucking great.

Yeah this many times.

Actually Sleeping Dogs demonstrated that if you get the combat side of things right you can ignore a lot of other stuff - the driving wasn't great (well actually the handbrake turns mechanic was kind of fin) but the hand to hand combat with occasional flirtations with cover shooter crossed with John Woo style slowed down mayhem was just so damned good that it made up for it.

Basically I only like open world games with fun traversal (the Spider-man games, Assassins Creed series, Prototype I & II, the Infamous series) or decent combat (um that would just be Sleeping Dogs then).

If someone manages to nail both of them then I'd be sorted.

Doesn't looks like Watchdogs is that but I'm still interested (albeit in a I'm waiting for it to turn cheap/WiiU version to come out fashion).

Few more hours in and the news isn't good, already the smoke and mirrors have slipped and there's gaping holes everywhere.

The car handling isn't at all good, but bikes seem much better. The hacking is really just an additional layer of faff that confuses and complicates situations instead of making them interesting. The story, so far, is tedious, but there are signs there may be some interesting stuff to come.

The combat is mediocre. On two occasions I've done a mission stealthily, getting to my objective with taking down all enemies non-lethally, only to have the mission progress so I'm then stuck in the middle of an enemy building with reinforcements sent in and no option but to guns blaze my way out. There is very little in the way of freedom to approach things how you want to. Which is a shame as the stealth bits work pretty well. Mission design, thus far is no different to the standard GTA style drive this from a to b, get to point a cops arrive, run away, drive to point b etc. Very dull.

The graphics are really nothing special at all, bordering on atrocious in places. Looks nice when it's dark and raining and when you're not looking closely, but in daytime it looks very much like an average ps3 game. I'm playing on highish settings on PC.

The hacking mini game is really good fun if rather unchallenging.

It's all fine in a very generic bland kind of way and if these sorts of games are your thing I'm sure there is value to be had, but I'd say it's a poor example of the genre.

Mediocre is the best word for it. Totally average and unimaginitive.