rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Robo_1

E3 - Nintendo Conference Thread - 3DS Conference (June 6th/2am)

I don't think either of those are comfortable descendents of Mario 64 etc. especially Uncharted, the platforming effectively plays itself. Crackdown is the closest this gen I reckon.

I would class PoP more as a third person action game with platform elements. Uncharted is in no way a platform game. Personally I would say the likes of Alice: Madness Returns or Crackdown are more comparable.

Crackdown is basically a part of the "yet unnamed open world with interesting movement mechanics sandbox subgenre" that includes stuff like Infamous, Assassins Creed, Prototype, Prey 2, Batman: Arkham City, etc.

They're not really comparable to stuff like Mario 3D.

Crackdown's platforming did often require some legitimate skill and thought though, unlike pretty much every other game you've named where movement is largely automated and traversal is thought-free.

Frankly, I'd rather they had dumped the flablet controller idea, and then used the cost of the device instead on making sure that the main console wasn't so underpowered.

Depends a bit on how the tablet will be utilised. The examples so far haven't been very interesting - especially if you're not interested in minigames or single room multiplayer. But looking at the cartoony artstyle of your typical Nintendo game, I doubt if more power would mean much better looking games, and the tablet controller adds quite a lot of potential for fresh ideas. I have more hope for touchscreen gaming than motion controls at any rate.

Frankly, I'd rather they had dumped the flablet controller idea, and then used the cost of the device instead on making sure that the main console wasn't so underpowered.

Well, Microsoft and Sony are probably both going to do that, so I'd rather Nintendo does something different.

• Upvote 5

Well, Microsoft and Sony are probably both going to do that, so I'd rather Nintendo does something different.

well quite - do people simply want 3 platforms that do almost the exact same things with the only differentiator being particular platform exclusives?

I'm less likely to get what ever MS does next - my 360 is never used any more. I've got AppleTV and a PS3. AppleTV gives me all the moves I want, and Netflix and stuff wherever it's plugged in. The PS3 does all this stuff without me having to pay an annual subscription to access and plays great games as well... sure, the 360 pad is better, but my first gen 360 sounds like a harrier taking off - has only 5Gb HD so I can't install any games really...so the PS3 is the console that gets used the most. It also has all the big 3rd party ones I'd ever be interested in. MS (aside from XBLA) really only seem to have Halo, Forza and Gears... neither of which have a strong enough pull for me anymore to buy a platform.

Then there's Nintendo for the 'different' stuff... the stuff you simply don't get on other consoles. I see a PS3 (4 eventually) and a WiiU being a great combo.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Or they could just stay a generation behind and add more novelty trinkets. Water bottle in controller that splashes you in wave race. I feel so immersed, Nintendo you geniuses.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 8

OMG you could drink out of it when you're playing Wii Fit though! That actually is genius! Also, you could replace the water with some thick acid when playing Alien.

• Upvote 6

well quite - do people simply want 3 platforms that do almost the exact same things with the only differentiator being particular platform exclusives?

MS (aside from XBLA) really only seem to have Halo, Forza and Gears... neither of which have a strong enough pull for me anymore to buy

To be honest I would like to buy one console each generation and I would by the wii u if it satisfied me in all areas. Great first party casual stuff, great third party support from all over the world, a great online service that does not treat me like an idiot, enough power to play whatever the 720/ps4 will.

You brush off Xbla/xblig as if it's nothing but it's been the killer app this gen and arguably better than first party support from Sony.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

I don't want an homogenised gaming experience... I think the competition between platform holders drives the market forward to provide new experiences. I'm quite happy to buy a couple of platforms as long as the experiences I get from them are unique...

• Upvote 3

I'm not suggesting there should be one platform but I'll personally buy 1 platform that satisfies my needs plus more.

but thats the point scott. how long can nintendo really afford to carry on with producing a console no body but them really supports? times are a changing and impossible as it may seem nintendo may have to change as well. maybe not next gen, but sooner rather than later.

I personally think having a full on beautiful 1080p HD mario or zelda that ran on the PS4/xbox would be much more exciting than whatever they do with their own rather limited hardware.

Skyward Sword is a case in point of a game that would have so much nicer on their competitions hardware imo.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Didn't you get the memo, Scott? Fun is dead, enjoyment is directly proportional to resolution.

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 3

but thats the point scott. how long can nintendo really afford to carry on with producing a console no body but them really supports? times are a changing and impossible as it may seem nintendo may have to change as well. maybe not next gen, but sooner rather than later.

Why? They're making plenty of money the way they're doing it now. Certainly more than Sony and MS.

• Upvote 5

Skyward Sword is a case in point of a game that would have so much nicer on their competitions hardware imo.

Top Trolling.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Skyward Sword is the worst example you could have come up with

Quite.

I personally think having a full on beautiful 1080p HD mario or zelda that ran on the PS4/xbox would be much more exciting than whatever they do with their own rather limited hardware.

See my post in your other thread, they won't do it until the alternative is financially more attractive, you'd need them to release the portable and handheld equivalent of the Saturn followed by the Dreamcast and have minus $2 Billion in the bank and need Yamauchi to rise from his grave* and lend them another $2 Billion to keep them afloat before they'd throw in the towel and become somebody else's bitch, and if they continue to keep a lid on hardware R&D and production costs, that looks to be a long way off, unless of course you subscribe to the consoles are inherently doomed scenario :)

*He isn't dead.

Reggie on Nintendo-fanboys and their disappointment at this year's Nintendo's E3 presentations:

Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime believes the company’s fans have an insatiable apatite.

He feels that Nintendo delivered on a number of fan requests at this year’s E3, such as a new Pikmin, a Mario game launching with a new console, and a brand new project that brings big franchises together in Nintendo Land. Despite this, most fans have been vocal in saying that the Big N’s conference was a disappointment.

Reggie on why he thinks Nintendo’s press conference received a negative response from fans who felt there wasn’t much new for Wii U compared to last year…

“One of the things that, on one hand, I love and, on the other hand, that troubles me tremendously about not only our fanbase but about the gaming community at large is that, whenever you share information, the perspective is, ‘Thank you, but I want more.’ ‘Thank you, but give me more.’ I mean, it is insatiable.

“And so for years this community has been asking, ‘Where’s Pikmin?’ ‘Where’s Pikmin?’ ‘Where’s Pikmin?’ We give them Pikmin. And then they say, ‘What else?’

“For years, this community have said, ‘Damnit Reggie, when you launch, you better launch with a Mario game.’ So we launch with a Mario game, and they say, ‘So what’s more?’

“I have heard people say, ‘You know, you’ve got these fantastic franchises, beyond what you’re doing in Smash Bros., isn’t there a way to leverage all these franchises?’ So we create Nintendo Land and they say, ‘Ho-hum, give me more.’ So it’s an interesting challenge.”

Reggie on how Nintendo fans expect genius from the company after getting used to Nintendogs and Brain Age, and may want to see software showing an evolution with new ideas rather than software shown the year prior…

“Time out. Time out. Again two different issues. When we show a game like Brain Age or when we show a game like Nintendogs, what’s the fan-based community reaction? ‘Ho-hum.’ Until it sells millions of copies. When we showed Wii Fit on stage.. go back and read your blogs, what was the reaction?”

Reggie in response to how Wii Fit was understood right away…

“It’s not a question of understanding. I think people understood what we showed. It’s the question of, as a gamer, ‘Is this for me and something I can get excited about?’ And Wii Fit did not get that reaction. And yet 43-million copies around the world, it’s a phenomenon. And so I would argue that the gaming community actually is unable to differentiate between a phenomenon and something that is ‘ho-hum.’

“…Until they play it. Until they experience it. Until their friends and their non-gaming associates say, ‘Hey, have you seen X?’

The man has a point about Pikmin

But when "the community" says you should launch with a Mario game, they're thinking along the lines of Mario Galaxy, not NSMB WiiU.

Anyway, here's another developer seemingly fed up with overly critical fans:

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata delivered the surprising news last night that Namco Bandai would be playing a significant role in the next Smash Bros. entry as one of its main developers.

There are some franchise followers out there who weren’t pleased with the announcement. One person went as far as to send an angry tweet to Masahiro Sakurai, writing that Namco Bandai is “incompetent”. The fan additionally said that Sakurai shouldn’t be involved with the development process anymore.

Unsurprisingly, Sakurai wasn’t amused with the comments. He responded with the following:

“Stop looking down on them with narrow-minded thinking.”

> https://twitter.com/Sora_Sakurai/status/216020121741832194

So in a way it was our fault their E3 was terrible. :coffee:

Edit: They could have also just made the anouncement that there was going to be another Smash Bros at E3, invite who-ever from Namco-Bandia, show concept art and talk about the direction they might go in and it would have made things much better.

A lot of what he says is true though. Just read kotaku comments and you'll get page after page of people demanding a game. Game comes out and they find any reason to moan not to buy it and without skipping a beat then demand something new.

The Internet is making gaming worse because developers are listening and reacting to it. Look at mass effect 3, no film would ever make another ending due to a small vocal minority and I bet when it does come out they will still moan.

Gamers always want new IPs, give them Mirrors edge a great game and they don't buy it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1