Euro 2012: The Thread

El Pibe

Actually in the Barry-Toure partnership isn't Yaya doing all the running and hard work with flair and imagination while dictating the game and retaining possession under pressure?

Gary Barry has the best job in football.

Actually in the Barry-Toure partnership isn't Yaya doing all the running and hard work with flair and imagination while dictating the game and retaining possession under pressure?

Gary Barry has the best job in football.

Tyler here (City fan) has been praising Barry all season. He's been excellent for them whilst retaining his general reputation of being rubbish and not doing anything. Basically the kind of player only a fan appreciates.

A more interesting stat from the first round of games might be that France had the most number of shots from outside the box.

If we can keep restricting teams to shooting from range and avoid any further slip ups like the one that allowed us to concede yesterday we should make it through the group easily.

It is noticeable how poor we are on the ball compared to literally every single other team in the tournament, apart from Ireland of course. Even incredibly pedestrian outfits like Greece and Poland could work a ball out of defence and are comfortable under pressure. That's not to say they're better teams than England, it's just obvious how little emphasis we place on just being able to pass it about a bit. Watching some of our players just get it out of their feet was pretty painful.

Tyler here (City fan) has been praising Barry all season. He's been excellent for them whilst retaining his general reputation of being rubbish and not doing anything. Basically the kind of player only a fan appreciates.

That is similar to how a lot of non Spurs fans view Luka Modric, because he does not really score many goals or even directly get that many assists, a lot of people do not think he is worth the money Spurs want if they ever sell him. Ask almost any Spurs fan who watch him every week and they will tell you he is Spurs's best player by far and if he is sold than Spurs will start to tumble down the league again.

I guess this is because a hell of lot of football fans do not watch any live football at all and base all their judgement on players from the five minutes of highlights they watch on M.O.T.D while usually drunk.

There's nothing like RLLMUK for tedious ad-hominem attacks by people who haven't got an argument.

The answer to the trivia quiz, incidentally, was that the number of times England have ever beaten Sweden in a competitive international is... 0. (Out of 7 attempts.)

Stop repeating football trivia from your wife's Hello magazine and we may talk

That is similar to how a lot of non Spurs fans view Luka Modric, because he does not really score many goals or even directly get that many assists, a lot of people do not think he is worth the money Spurs want if they ever sell him. Ask almost any Spurs fan who watch him every week and they will tell you he is Spurs's best player by far and if he is sold than Spurs will start to tumble down the league again.

I guess this is because a hell of lot of football fans do not watch any live football at all and base all their judgement on players from the five minutes of highlights they watch on M.O.T.D while usually drunk.

Who actually thinks this? Luka's been recognised for a while now.

Yeah, for all my rambling above it may just be something as simple as English players having poor ball control. Ribery and Nasri looked untackleable last night. We've no-one approaching their level for dribbling or first touch.

I was surprised we saw no Carroll yesterday, has Hodgson already fallen out of love with him?

Not much point really. There was nobody who could play quality long balls he could knock down and even if there was there would be nobody to knock it down too. He doesn't have the pace to trouble a defence and in terms of finishing he's behind Welbeck and Defoe.

Not much point really. There was nobody who could play quality long balls he could knock down and even if there was there would be nobody to knock it down too. He doesn't have the pace to trouble a defence and in terms of finishing he's behind Welbeck and Defoe.

i would have thought that he would be ahead of Defoe, he is the kind of player that Hodgson likes, a Zamora style player. And Carroll does have a lot of pace for his size. Yesterday when Englands two sets of four were being pressed deep into their own half Welbeck and Young became stranded, Carroll is the type of player who could have chased down loose balls and held up play, he could have provided respite for the defense and linked up play between defense and attack. Also if i was a defender who was beginning to tire after 70+mins of football in the heat having to suddenly deal with the physical presence Carrol brings would be a nightmare. Its also handy to have a man of his strength and stature when you have to defend set pieces. I expected to see Carroll emerge in the last 20mins or so a far better option than Defoe in that situation, i thought he may have picked up a slight knock or something that led to Hodgson over looking him.

I think Carrol is more likely to play against sides with more of an aerial presence and where we can commit more midfielders forward to feed off his knockdowns etc.. he was never going to start against France.

i would have thought that he would be ahead of Defoe, he is the kind of player that Hodgson likes, a Zamora style player. And Carroll does have a lot of pace for his size. Yesterday when Englands two sets of four were being pressed deep into their own half Welbeck and Young became stranded, Carroll is the type of player who could have chased down loose balls and held up play, he could have provided respite for the defense and linked up play between defense and attack. Also if i was a defender who was beginning to tire after 70+mins of football in the heat having to suddenly deal with the physical presence Carrol brings would be a nightmare. Its also handy to have a man of his strength and stature when you have defend set pieces. I expected to see Carroll emerge in the last 20mins or so a far better option than Defoe in that situation, i thought he may have picked up a slight knock or something that led to Hodgson over looking him.

I'm not entirely sure how he was going to hold it up better than Welbeck, especially as there was no 'out' ball available most of the time so linking up play would have been impossible for anyone - it's not like because Carrol was on the pitch that the midfielders were going to make better supporting runs. I think Hodgson was clearly working on the basis that they were going to keep 9 men behind the ball and use the pace of the forwards (and Chamberlain) to make any possible attacks. I know Carrol isn't slow but he is slower than all the other forwards. If and when Hodgson decides to commit more midfielders to the attack then I think he'll get played but he just wasn't the right man yesterday. Welbeck and Carrol up front with Chamberlain right and Young left wouldn't actually be a bad combination.

I was a bit confused by Young and Welbeck yesterday. I thought Young was meant to be playing the Rooney type role but most of the time he seemed further forward than Welbeck, which I don't remember usually being the case when Rooney and Welbeck play together. I don't think Rooney coming back will transform the team but if he plays behind Welbeck and Young is on the left then that gives you three players who are used to playing with each other in those roles for United which will hopefully help our cohesion in going forward.

What do people reckon about the Greeks against the Czechs? Greece have both their first choice centre backs and goalie out, but Baros is probably playing for the Czechs. Both teams need a win as you can't see the Greeks getting much out of the Russians.

I was a bit confused by Young and Welbeck yesterday. I thought Young was meant to be playing the Rooney type role but most of the time he seemed further forward than Welbeck, which I don't remember usually being the case when Rooney and Welbeck play together. I don't think Rooney coming back will transform the team but if he plays behind Welbeck and Young is on the left then that gives you three players who are used to playing with each other in those roles for United which will hopefully help our cohesion in going forward.

I assume Hodgson was trying to get Young on the end of the knockdowns but he was rarely in the right position to do so (and either Welbeck didn't get it right or the balls up to the top were poor). I don't think it will make a difference when Rooney comes in as they are going to be asked to play completely different roles than at United.

I actually favour Italy to win it now. Spain gambled and I think it caught them out, Italy were uncertain with this new formation and De Rossi being forced into centreback and when Spain showed up without a striker I expect it undid a lot of their pre-match preparation.

But they held it together well for most of the game and going forward their confidence will grow. If they were to meet Spain again in the final I think they'd have the edge.

Only team I think could beat them is Germany, but they'd need to bring Klose back in for Gomez.