Euro 2012: The Thread

El Pibe

Oxalade-Chamberlain put one challenge in and got booked as did Young. Yohan Cabeye made four challenges that were given as free kicks that were just as bad and he didn't even get spoken to by the ref and Nasri blatantly tripped someone (I think it was Oxalade-Chamberlain) and didn't get a yellow. There were challenges from behind by the French that went unpunished. I thought the ref was poor but I also thought England were poor. It's a good result though and it's put us in the position to qualify. We desperately need Rooney in there.

Compared to some of the other results, Holland and Spain and Ireland in particular, it was a decent opening game for us.

Lescott's face was man of the match for us :)

No idea how Cabaye avoided a card there. Thought he was very fortunate to stay out of the book.

Decent enough result, but I think France were there for the taking. Their centre backs looked very ponderous, and if we had brought Walcott on a bit earlier to have a go at them it could have been a different result. England were very disciplined in defence, stayed on their feet well, and France didn't really threaten much either. Not sure I like Benzema playing as a lone striker for France, I think Giroud might have performed that role a bit better. Playing it slowly and patiently doesn't make the best use of Ribery either. Malouda was completely anonymous, and they really missed M'Vila in the centre, as they had no creativity from the base of midfield. Will be interesting to see the other two teams in the group, as France and England both looking very beatable on that display. France as they look brittle, and England as they looked a little short on penetration due to a lack of willingness to use pace.

Why all that negativism? The team looks younger than in the past and thus will grow and a draw against the group's favourite is not bad at all.

@ianprior: Some Fr-Eng stats (Fr 1st): Passes 654-345 Possession 65-35% Shots on target 7-1 Tackles 17-28 Pass success 91.7%-83.2% (via Opta) #euro2012

One shot on target, smashed in possession. Well done England!

As boring as it was to watch, it was a very good team performance from England. Really solid in defence and a 'work in progress' going forward.

Many plus points; The back four playing as a unit, the midfield keeping a shape throughout 90 minutes, no Gerrard Hollywood Passes™ and a good point against the most dangerous, in form team in our group (plus one of the favourites to win).

We didn't get lucky, we didn't get outplayed, we could have easily won on a different day... Love it. :D

Anyway...

ibra...ibra...Ibra...IBRA...IBRAAAA!!!

We didn't get lucky, we didn't get outplayed, we could have easily won on a different day... Love it. :D

7 shots on target to 1

65-35% possession

Yeah we were great. What a team!

I just wish Gerrard could crumple properly when fouled, rather than than the theatrical "WTF! Arms in the air, just been shot, dive on the hand grenade" that he ALWAYS does.

Over does.

Makes it difficult to tell when he's REALLY been fouled

Those possession stats don't tell the real story though. We didn't chase shadows whilst they danced around us or anything, we let them have the ball and closed their options down.

We played tactical football, rather than the mythical roy of the rovers football that some people think all teams should try to play, and that would see us get turned over by a team with more technically gifted players.

As boring as it was to watch, it was a very good team performance from England. Really solid in defence and a 'work in progress' going forward.

Many plus points; The back four playing as a unit, the midfield keeping a shape throughout 90 minutes, no Gerrard Hollywood Passes™ and a good point against the most dangerous, in form team in our group (plus one of the favourites to win).

Couldn't agree more.

Anyway...

7 shots on target to 1

65-35% possession

I played Wincho at Fifa the other day and had 61% possession.

I lost 4-0.

A trite comparison I know. :D But at no point in the game did France look properly dangerous. This wasn't close to being either of Chelsea's games in the Champions League Final or Semi-finals this was two teams of very equal ability squaring off with different styles of football.

And for all of France's amazing firepower (far superior than anything we've offered in years), they looked pretty ordinary against us.

Ibra-SKILLOVICH

I played Wincho at Fifa the other day and had 61% possession.

I lost 4-0.

He had one shot one target too? Are you Richard Dunne?

@ianprior: Some Fr-Eng stats (Fr 1st): Passes 654-345 Possession 65-35% Shots on target 7-1 Tackles 17-28 Pass success 91.7%-83.2% (via Opta) #euro2012

One shot on target, smashed in possession. Well done England!

1 shot on target, 1 goal.

100% CONVERSION RATE!!!

I live in fear that behind one of Disciple's blocked posts is an opinion that I then repost in my ignorance.

Depends. Are you normally wrong about things? :)

1 shot on target, 1 goal.

100% CONVERSION RATE!!!

Depends. Are you normally wrong about things? :)

I just cant be negative after that result. We're in a position to take this group and that makes me more than happy. This morning i was worried we'd get pulled apart.

That said, Johnson is so fucking shit surely hibbo would have been a better call. Still Mr Owl and his liverpool player obsession.

I dunno who was shitter, Gerrard or the ref.

That was one of the direst games of football I've ever seen in my life. Like a tired end-of-season friendly or a final group game where both teams know a draw will get them through, but without either excuse. Neither team made the slightest serious effort to win it, and if either of them play the rest of the group like that it'll be Sweden and Ukraine who make the knockout stage. Utter, utter shite.

Theres nothing like an international tournament for bringing the prawn sandwich fans out

Anyway...

7 shots on target to 1

65-35% possession

I know you're normally a complete tool in the various football threads and I do feel I should credit you for your unflinching consistency but the best chance in the whole game other than the two goals was Milner's and he missed - the stats would just put that down as a shot off target.

Ukraine look OK but they need to calm down and Ibrahimovic is possibly one of the laziest and selfish players I've ever seen.