IGNORED

Euro 2012: The Thread

El Pibe

A better result for us than France you'd say on the balance of play, but we had some little moments here and there.

We were too lightweight up top though, and perhaps Carroll could have come on to give us some a bit more physical presence at corners (and to maybe help with the long balls just aimlessly punted up field), but hell, we largely restricted France to long-range efforts and I though Johnson had his best defensive display in an England shirt.

Roll-on Friday!

That was one of the direst games of football I've ever seen in my life. Like a tired end-of-season friendly or a final group game where both teams know a draw will get them through, but without either excuse. Neither team made the slightest serious effort to win it, and if either of them play the rest of the group like that it'll be Sweden and Ukraine who make the knockout stage. Utter, utter shite.

That was one of the direst games of football I've ever seen in my life. Like a tired end-of-season friendly or a final group game where both teams know a draw will get them through, but without either excuse. Neither team made the slightest serious effort to win it, and if either of them play the rest of the group like that it'll be Sweden and Ukraine who make the knockout stage. Utter, utter shite.

Surely the excuse is that losing your first group game traditionally fucks up your tournament?

Both sides will surely be satisfied with a performance where Graham_S spent most of it browsing the internet on his phone vaguely interested in new laptops.

I can't believe how many empty seat there seems to be. It's a very muted atmosphere for such a big game.

UEFA pricing out the locals apparently. The Ukraine government report that the average salary over there is €237 (£190, $300) a month and I think I read somewhere that tickets for the game had a face value of between €50 and €90. There doesnt appear to be a large travelling support because the place is such a bastard to get to and all the stories about how unpleasant it might be out there. It's little wonder there are empty seats, but the organisers only have themselves to blame. I havent looked myself, but it would be interesting to see how full the stadiums are in Poland compared to the Ukraine. I'd guess Poland are having fewer problems getting people into the stadiums.

We're not Spain, though. We are very not Spain.

Actually you played remarkably similarly to the way they did against Italy, except even more dull and negative.

The notion of having to avoid defeat in the first game is cobblers, though. If you lose it, you know you've got to go all out in the next two. Win them and you've got six points, which will get you through 99% of the time. Draw the first one, unexpectedly lose the second and you're pretty much fucked, with a maximum of four points available which is very UNlikely to be enough.

Poland compared to the Ukraine

Fixed that for you.

Actually you played remarkably similarly to the way they did against Italy, except even more dull and negative.

The notion of having to avoid defeat in the first game is cobblers, though. If you lose it, you know you've got to go all out in the next two. Win them and you've got six points, which will get you through 99% of the time. Draw the first one, unexpectedly lose the second and you're pretty much fucked, with a maximum of four points available which is very UNlikely to be enough.

Indeed. All you have got to do is score more goals than the other team and you will win every time. It really is that simple.

Yes, "remarkably similar" to Spain. :lol: I guess there's nothing like an international tournament to bring out all these people that know nothing about football.

When your first game is against the strongest team in the group then of course a draw is a good result. If we'd played Sweden or Ukraine first it would be different.

Dreary as ever from England, but the Hodgson method is perfect for this group of players. That was a good result, I thought. I was expecting them to lose by about 2 or 3. Give credit to the man, he's got them well-drilled in a very short space of time.

True, but I'd say it's almost - for England perhaps more than other nations - more a psychological thing to avoid defeat, given the way the press and a lot of fans react to a loss.

I think England carried themselves quite well, and you can tell they have a bit more confidence.

Andy Townsend is an absolute twat though, so biased even though he's not even English! Even when he was proved blatantly wrong by replays he doesn't admit it.

UEFA pricing out the locals apparently.

Imagine a major sporting event where by the locals couldn't get tickets, and if they could the transport system couldn't handle them anyway.

That would be a disaster.

Yes, "remarkably similar" to Spain. :lol: I guess there's nothing like an international tournament to bring out all these people that know nothing about football.

Sigh. You played almost exactly like Spain. Pass-pass-pass-sideways-sideways-sideways-hope-the-other-team-falls-asleep-GOAL!

When your first game is against the strongest team in the group then of course a draw is a good result. If we'd played Sweden or Ukraine first it would be different.

You might want to compare England's respective records against Sweden and France before you say that. Want to take a guess on how many times England have beaten the Swedes in a competitive match?