IGNORED

Les Miserables - Starring Jackman, Crowe and Hathaway

lordcookie

Synopsis: Les Misérables is the motion-picture adaptation of the beloved global stage sensation seen by more than 60 million people in 42 countries and in 21 languages around the globe and still breaking box-office records everywhere in its 27th year. Helmed by The King’s Speech‘s Academy Award®-winning director, Tom Hooper, the Working Title/Cameron Mackintosh production stars Hugh Jackman, Oscar® winner Russell Crowe, Anne Hathaway and Eddie Redmayne, with further casting to be announced.

Set against the backdrop of 19th-century France, Les Misérables tells an enthralling story of broken dreams and unrequited love, passion, sacrifice and redemption–a timeless testament to the survival of the human spirit. Jackman plays ex-prisoner Jean Valjean, hunted for decades by the ruthless policeman Javert (Crowe) after he breaks parole. When Valjean agrees to care for factory worker Fantine’s (Hathaway) young daughter, Cosette, their lives change forever.

In December 2012, the world’s longest-running musical brings its power to the big screen in Tom Hooper’s sweeping and spectacular interpretation of Victor Hugo’s epic tale. With international superstars and beloved songs–including “I Dreamed a Dream,” “Bring Him Home,” “One Day More” and “On My Own”–Les Misérables, the show of shows, is now reborn as the cinematic musical experience of a lifetime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3uUTKOUhZU

That trailer looks really good, Hathaway looks to be in amazing form and I don't think Jackson will have a problem with this. My only doubt is over Crowe, while I think he'll do fine acting the part of Javert I don't think I've ever heard the guy sing.

That trailer looks really good, Hathaway looks to be in amazing form and I don't think Jackson will have a problem with this. My only doubt is over Crowe, while I think he'll do fine acting the part of Javert I don't think I've ever heard the guy sing.

Crowe & Jackson were in my local gym at the weekend as they are filming some scenes here.

I'm off to see what i can see from the set, quite excited for this should be pretty good.

It's Borat being in it that bothers me.

Well the thing about musical films is that it's all done in a studio, after plenty of rehearsals with vocal coaches, then they do as many takes as they need to and touch it up afterwards. They don't need to be anything other than passable singers really, they're getting plenty of help. I wouldn't be concerned about Crowe or anyone else.

This is going to make so very much money isn't it.

Well the thing about musical films is that it's all done in a studio, after plenty of rehearsals with vocal coaches, then they do as many takes as they need to and touch it up afterwards. They don't need to be anything other than passable singers really, they're getting plenty of help. I wouldn't be concerned about Crowe or anyone else.

Not so for this film apparently

The cast of the upcoming film adaptation of Les Miserables is singing live on-set - a far cry from the easy, pre-recorded lip syncing that usually occurs with similar productions.

A source told the Sun UK, "Unlike most film musicals, the cast will record their vocals live on camera rather than go into a studio first then mime on film to the pre-recorded vocal. It’s going to be hard work for...the cast. First they have to learn the complex songs, then they’ll have to get it right on set in front of the other stars and crew.”

Producer Cameron Mackintosh believes that this unorthodox filming will provide a more intimate and natural feel to the film. USA Today quotes Mackintosh, "We have found actors who naturally express themselves through music. Did a Hugh Jackman exist 25 years ago, someone with that experience both on the stage and in the cinema?"

Not so for this film apparently

I love this idea and am really interested to see how it works. You can hear it from Hathaway in this clip, her voice dosn't sound overproduced and has a bit more of a raw sound to it.

Crowe will just have to do a shit tonne of takes.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Not convinced over the Jackman and Crowe. Jackman doesn't appear to have the power in his voice that the classic Valjeans have had, but then again in my opinion no one can touch Colm Wilkinson for the role. Crowe just seams like he's rushing through his part in One Day More, again I'm a sucker for the original London cast version where the words are almost spat out. I expect I shall see this as I love Les Miserable, but there had better be an interval - it's long enough without everything they'll have added for the film.

• 1 month later...

Valjean is all about 'Bring him home'. If Jackman can pull that off, he's got it set. YouTube Alfie Boe singing it if you want to know what Jackman has to match.

Javert is an interesting character - he's righteous to the point of arrogance, believes blindly in the law and justice and if anyone can do arrogant, it's Russell Crowe. Whether he has the pipes to match remains to be seen - 'Stars' is Javert's big number, which hasn't been shown yet, although I thought he sounded fine in 'One More Day' in the trailer.

Trailer gives me goosebumps - I think this is going to be really special.

I can't help but look at those posters and think that everyone has a tagline about the character except Russel Crowe who is channeling team america mat damon.

I just came in this thread and thought the exact same thing, and then scrolled down :)

• 3 weeks later...

Saw this yesterday. Boyfriend (unfamiliar with the story) cried.

If it's overwrought, it's because it's Les Mis, not because of the way this film has been made. Okay, it is a little at the start, perhaps. And there's some odd cutting between a couple of scenes. But it's basically a commendable adaptation.

Jackman's voice is fine. It's not sensationally powerful like Colm Wilkinson (who has a cameo as the holy man at the start) or Alfie Boe, but I think the film feels more real as a result. The live singing does its job. Anne Hathaway is great. Russell Crowe is basically passable. He does the unyielding agent of the law thing well, but his singing is very unremarkable on songs where he has to carry the thing. Amanda Siegfried sounds shrill on the high notes but is fine elsewhere. Eddie Redmayne has a face I'll like to slap, but he's good in the role. I was a bit disappointed by Baron Cohen and Bonham-Carter as the Thenardiers. Hard to explain why. Samantha Barks as Eponine was excellent.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I'd basically agree with all that. I think Hooper doesn't really know how to direct comedy, Cohen and Bonham-Carter were a bit wasted. I'd go for more in-depth analysis, but it probably isn't worth it on here, with not many being that bothered about the film. Basically it's about as good as you could expect a film adaptation of Les Mis to be, with all round good performances (including the vocals), and incredible degree of technical polish. If you're not up for a 2 1/2 hour melodrama where 90% of the lines are sung, and the rest half-sung, well then your complaint lies with the source material really.

Has a few surprisingly nasty bits. Highlight of the whole thing was probably when Javert jumps into the Seine, and there's a horrible bonecracking sound as he hits. Also when the (very annoying mockney) child dies after being shot twice, then the camera comes in for the lingering close up of said dead child.

Amanda Siegfried.

I enjoyed this more than most musicals on film apart from those animated Disney ones from the 90s perhaps. There were a lot of good bits and I am a sucker for the melodrama; The Anne Hathaway song was amazing obviously, but i got tired afterwards of how they stick the camera right up at their faces all the time, even if they are just delivering plot and exposition. My eyes was exhausted at the camera constantly moving and annoyed by the random Dutch angles so just closed my eyes and listened from time to time. Occurred to me that Hooper is the anti-Wes Anderson, he would never let himself shoot anything straight on, ever.

Saw this yesterday with my girlfriend. I'd seen (and mostly hated) the stage show, she hadn't.

It starts off well, a decent song and an epic scene of pulling ropes then the release of Jean Valjean.

The first hour or so is enjoyable. The film looks absolutely wonderful and the performances are mostly very good to great. Anne Hathaway steals the show with her heartbreaking song. Then it goes boring and twee for a good hour. More redemption for the God-fearing Jean Valjean, accompanied by very annoying empathy moans and nods of approval from who I assumed were the snooty musical lovers wanting the rest of the ruffians in the cinema to know that they love the source material.

Redemption upon redemption, a terrible love triangle, a pantomime, and singing a fucking letter later, and it gets interesting again.

The revolution starts, and you get some decent characters again. The cinematography and production design is stunning. People complaining about Russell Crowe are not bring fair. He sings in tune, and Jackman is often the disappointing one, his good voice wasted on some awful songs.

But the good few songs are good, they are delivered with passion and the performances are great. The mockney thing is weird. It's hard to imagine you're in Paris and Marseilles when everyone's a fucking Oliver Twist reject.

So it's a very mixed film. If they had been brave and chopped the shit from the play it could have been stunning, as it was it was both entertaining and emotional and boring and laughable.

I guess that's not what they were aiming for, and the delight in the show lovers of letting everyone know they were crying at the end and their forced applause was telling that target audience got exactly what they wanted.

6/10.

Pretty much the same thoughts... Enjoyed seeing Portsmouth dockyard (opening scene in the dry dock) and winchester (bit where he climbs up the wall and hides on the roof) in a Hollywood film...

Never seen or read anything about the musical so went in fairly open minded...

Cracking costumes and sets... Not really my thing though....not enough car chases...

Mrs loved it....

Singing was ok..... Didn't expect EVERYTHING to be sung... Tought it would be like grease where they break into song.... Not where every line is sung "I am opening the dooooooooor, I am walking up the staiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirs"