Continuum Canadian TV

Spleen

It certainly has some cheesy/cliched parts but on the whole I thought it was quite good.

The effects were pretty good for a tv show and the story could go places.

We'll certainly tune in next week.

It's not bad but it's not great. The fact that the worst actor from Mutant X is in it puts me off a bit. But I'm desperate for sci-fi TV at the moment and it's not as bad as Terra Nova yet, so I'll stick with it.

2nd episode was pretty good as well. Things aren't explained to the audience too blatantly, and the effects are very good for a TV show. The shift-tilt focussing for most of the outside scenes isn't too distracting, and there's some nice little details dotted about.

Just started watching this and enjoying it so far, up to episode 2. Treads the fine line between showing off too much future 'tech' and keeping it modest so it doesn't look like a parody.

The only real complaint is the young lad in the barn.

So she's crying as shes realising she might not get home to her family and he says 'you upset?'....no shit sherlock! and just as shes walking into the research lab on high alert, point her gun etc he decides now is a good time to start asking about her family...

OK, I've got past the initial phase of consciously looking for gaping plotholes, piss poor CGI and awful acting - and have decided that this is really, really good; and it's something that you should start watching if you're missing Fringe.

I'm up to episode 4, and it's refreshing to note that:

- The SFX budget hasn't been spunked on the pilot - really consistent solid effects, and not just for the sake of it.

- I'm not being talked down to with characters re-iterating the plot, with extra points for subtle Huxley & Orwell references.

- The lead woman can move from one room to another without knocking over scenery & looks pretty good if you overlook the eyelid wart.

- Fight scenes that look credible.

- The script is actually pretty good, and seems to be going somewhere with a definite series arc (the Erlenmeyer flask being in it from episode 1)

You look at this and then Alcatraz & Terra Nova and it's so much better made. The female JC Denton comparison is pretty much spot on.

Regularly looking forward to it now.

• 3 weeks later...

I've caught up with it because of this thread too. Hadn't heard of it before. Seems decent enough. Also, Tony Amendola.

This week they've got that building in it.

continuums01e06.jpg

Seems to appear in most even vaguely sci-fi shows made in Canada these days, even if the city is supposed to be New York or LA or on another planet. Anyone know what it actually is?

I was just thinking the other day that this would have been better if it was more ambiguous about whether the bad guys were actually bad or not. They have a good cause so if they didn't just have them kill innocent people all the time then there could be more stuff about whether what they are doing is right or not.

Another thing I realised, which is a spoiler as it concerns some stuff that happened in the story

Surely if that guy's mum got killed before he was born and he didn't disappear then that means they can't affect the future at all, which makes everything they are trying to do pointless. Unless for some reason they only can't affect what people live in the future but can change other things, which seems a bit weird. Probably the only thing that would explain it is if it wasn't that guy's mum at all.

I think it IS ambigous. You don't know if our "heroine" is the good guy or the bad guy, and despite the killings, the bad guys ARE freedom fighters.

They're not freedom fighters, they have killed innocent people so they are terrorists. It doesn't matter what their cause is now, they are bad and need to be stopped. The viewer can't sympathise with them. I guess there is still the possibility that the heroine could also be bad (although it seems unlikely) but it would have been nice if they had left it so it was possible to sympathise with the "bad guys".

They're not freedom fighters, they have killed innocent people so they are terrorists. It doesn't matter what their cause is now, they are bad and need to be stopped. The viewer can't sympathise with them. I guess there is still the possibility that the heroine could also be bad (although it seems unlikely) but it would have been nice if they had left it so it was possible to sympathise with the "bad guys".

I still think that it's ambiguous - though I'm beginning to think they're the 'good' guys (freedom fighters). For example, the politician, who didn't take corporate donations, won the election following the advice of the main Liber8 guy. The reporter was attractive collateral damage.

The same guy tried to protect innocent people from the future timeline in the Chinese temple a couple of episodes ago from the police raid.

They didn't kill the CEO last week, they humiliated her - and got her to confess to her corporate fiddling.

Food being kept from hungry people to raise the price of stock in the future timeline - something similar happened in Afghanistan through Haliburton just five years ago

The old guy is the leader of Liber8, and before he arrived the rest of the group were violent and killed folk (the cops in the catch up every week). Since he arrived, he's managed to find other ways to make people aware with the goal of causing a revolution. Some innocents die; notably the woman in this weeks episode- but it's a small price to pay etc, etc, etc..

I sympathise with them, and so do a couple of other people who watch it - but admittedly not all - and the thing they identify with is the anti-corporation mantra. A quick glimpse at the OT Olympic thread shows how much people appreciate and respect the sponsors.

Anyhow, we're still enjoying it.

I think it IS ambigous. You don't know if our "heroine" is the good guy or the bad guy

The people she works for are bad, but I don't think she is really bad. She was just ignorant or brainwashed by the way society is controlled by the corporations in the future. But she is starting to see through that and questioning it a bit.

I sympathise with them, and so do a couple of other people who watch it - but admittedly not all - and the thing they identify with is the anti-corporation mantra. A quick glimpse at the OT Olympic thread shows how much people appreciate and respect the sponsors.

I sympathise with their cause, but not with them. Remember that right at the start they blew up a building killing thousands of innocents. Unless, I suppose, it turns out they didn't do that at all and it was a set up by the corporations. But if that is the case then I still think it would have been better if I knew that from the start so I could sympathise with them.

Anyhow, we're still enjoying it.

Yes, I am too.

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched the series finale. Enjoyed it on the whole. Thought they dealt with budgeting issues pretty well with having a futuristic storyline take place in 2012. Some of the acting is a bit daytime cop tv show, but I can look past that.

I do like how they've introduced the double cross future Alec tells future Kagami to tell past Alec to do something to tell future Kagami etc.

Julian did go to full blown suicide bomber a bit too quickly though

Nice cliffhanger for the next series too