Jump to content
IGNORED

Cyberpunk 2077 - PS5 and XSeries versions out now + major patch


Vemsie
 Share

Recommended Posts

Was umming and ahhing about picking this up in the Steam sale and finally thought what the hell, let's do it. I'm hoping most if not all the really bad bugs have been ironed out by now. How dodgy is it still?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Vimster said:

Was umming and ahhing about picking this up in the Steam sale and finally thought what the hell, let's do it. I'm hoping most if not all the really bad bugs have been ironed out by now. How dodgy is it still?

 

PC was always the version that suffered least from bugs really, so by now it'll be fine. There are still odd graphical glitches here and there but it's decent enough. Whilst I can't say I love the thing, it's well worth it just for the sheer visual spectacle of it all!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Even on console it's now properly playable. There are some visual niggles here and there. Worst thing I experienced was the UI being locked into a scope effect, but a quick reload solved that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The graphical glitches were always fairly minor and occasional anyway.
 

I was playing Lake and at one point one of the characters was using a pen that was hovering in front of his face…no-one made a YouTube compilation video about that! :quote:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Vimster said:

Was umming and ahhing about picking this up in the Steam sale and finally thought what the hell, let's do it. I'm hoping most if not all the really bad bugs have been ironed out by now. How dodgy is it still?


With mods it’s a GOAT contender.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 26/06/2022 at 03:36, Cyhwuhx said:

 

This is the only UI which made me groan. Not only is it using the god-awful Destiny cursor on console and mixes it both hold and tap for interactions, the inventory is an atrocious form-over-function monstrosity.

 

The first time I interacted with my stash, I completely unintentionally emptied all my belongings into it, only discovering half an hour later when I needed a weapon that I was actually running around naked. Even now that I know that I need to look for the light blue 'equipped slash', it's still a mental drain each time I need to look at equipment overviews.

 

Everything has been engineered to a T to be as irritating and annoying as possible. Items have different sizes in your inventory even though size doesn't matter and this isn't RE4. Pop-overs with stats ALWAYS cover up the rest of your inventory, which you need to highlight with the cursor to be able to scroll through it, obstructing whatever you want to see/are looking for. As mentioned, mod slots and equipment indicators are so small and disconnected, it takes time to discern which is what. Getting into your inventory always takes more effort than simply pressing a button. Mercifully there's a map shortcut under the touchpad long press but blimey, it's the only comfort allowed to the player it seems. Not being able to switch tabs within a menu with the triggers is just baffling.

 

I still have an icon to the right of my health that changes every so often with a timer and I still haven't got the foggiest what it does.

 

You have nailed pretty much every gripe i have with the inventory system, most specifically having to use a cursor rather than selecting options via d-pad, and having an information tile always pop up whenever your cursor moves over something. There's also no way to mark items as junk so you can sell them in bulk, which is maddening.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Made a start on this last night and whilst I've not totally got a handle on it yet I did enjoy the prologue. Not sure if I'm just getting rubbish at games but the VR training mission bit, crikey, I couldn't hit the proverbial barn door to save my life, only got past the stealth bit by pretty much legging it to the exit, and the less said about my button-mashy hand-to-hand experience the better. It didn't fill me with confident about how I'd handle combat so I stepped the difficulty down to Easy with a view to upping it once I got used to it. The days of forcing myself to play on higher difficulties are over. 

 

It does look tremendous on PC. I was getting 38fps on Ultra with ray-tracing on a 2070 at 1440p, so knocked that down to 1080p, turned off RT, 84fps average, so nice and smooth. 4k can do one. A few graphical glitches like people walking through one another, flickering textures, but nothing major. 

 

The UI on PC sounds better than console, at least you can use a mouse and keyboard, but the layout is a bit haphazard. Once again I guess it gets easier to navigate when you're using it a lot. 

 

Looking forward to just having a wander and trying out some side missions to see how easy Easy is. It does look like they've packed a ton into the city. 

 

Please tell me stealth isn't mandatory. Even though it was quite generous on Normal I could feel it being a real pain in the arse later on. There have been few games where I've actually enjoyed stealth (Watch_Dogs being one of them), maybe with a bit of trial and error it'll become second nature. 

 

Anyway, just good to be able to play an RPG that isn't Tolkein-esque. Was never a fan of medieval settings and much prefer SF. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Vimster said:

Made a start on this last night and whilst I've not totally got a handle on it yet I did enjoy the prologue. Not sure if I'm just getting rubbish at games but the VR training mission bit, crikey, I couldn't hit the proverbial barn door to save my life, only got past the stealth bit by pretty much legging it to the exit, and the less said about my button-mashy hand-to-hand experience the better. It didn't fill me with confident about how I'd handle combat so I stepped the difficulty down to Easy with a view to upping it once I got used to it. The days of forcing myself to play on higher difficulties are over. 

 

It does look tremendous on PC. I was getting 38fps on Ultra with ray-tracing on a 2070 at 1440p, so knocked that down to 1080p, turned off RT, 84fps average, so nice and smooth. 4k can do one. A few graphical glitches like people walking through one another, flickering textures, but nothing major. 

 

The UI on PC sounds better than console, at least you can use a mouse and keyboard, but the layout is a bit haphazard. Once again I guess it gets easier to navigate when you're using it a lot. 

 

Looking forward to just having a wander and trying out some side missions to see how easy Easy is. It does look like they've packed a ton into the city. 

 

Please tell me stealth isn't mandatory. Even though it was quite generous on Normal I could feel it being a real pain in the arse later on. There have been few games where I've actually enjoyed stealth (Watch_Dogs being one of them), maybe with a bit of trial and error it'll become second nature. 

 

Anyway, just good to be able to play an RPG that isn't Tolkein-esque. Was never a fan of medieval settings and much prefer SF. 


That VR training mission is basically nothing like the game, and teaches you nothing about combat in the game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, ZOK said:


That VR training mission is basically nothing like the game, and teaches you nothing about combat in the game.

Yes basically you just slaughter everyone in sight. All guns blazing all the way 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Mr C said:

Yes basically you just slaughter everyone in sight. All guns blazing all the way 😂

Good, I don't mind stealth if you can just bluff it when things go wrong. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Stealth isn't mandatory. You'll probably want to use it to thin the herd in some encounters, but you can always go in loud instead. Use cover if you do...

 

Most gigs have multiple avenues of approach, especially if you augment your legs so you can jump higher to reach roofs more easily. So you can choose the approach that minimises the time spent sneaking past people. 

 

And you have hacking, which is stealthy but not in the manner of sneaking past people. And you can get optical camo to round it off.

 

I basically stealthed a few, hacked a few, then shot up the remainder.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Vimster said:

Good, I don't mind stealth if you can just bluff it when things go wrong. 

 

Yeah, it's great when it does - frantically jumping, dodging, shooting and trying combat hacks to take the bad guys down.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 23/06/2022 at 10:50, Uncle Nasty said:

 

Yep that's the one. Definitely one of the better artbooks I've bought, but it's not strictly an artbook - it's almost like a tourist guide or book about the world. The detail and background information is phenomenal.


I did get a copy of this, it’s fantastic as you say, cheers for the reccomendation!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 28/06/2022 at 10:07, ZOK said:


That VR training mission is basically nothing like the game, and teaches you nothing about combat in the game.

 

Plus you're stuck with the default aiming settings, which are inexplicably poor.

 

If you're struggling to hit people, @Vimster, just remember that it's really hard to miss people if your barrel is in their mouth rollsafe.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 28/06/2022 at 15:59, Vimster said:

It does look tremendous on PC. I was getting 38fps on Ultra with ray-tracing on a 2070 at 1440p, so knocked that down to 1080p, turned off RT, 84fps average, so nice and smooth. 4k can do one. A few graphical glitches like people walking through one another, flickering textures, but nothing major.

 

Put the resolution back up to 1440p, then try raytracing set to Psycho with DLSS on Ultra Performance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Fallows said:

 

Put the resolution back up to 1440p, then try raytracing set to Psycho with DLSS on Ultra Performance.

I don't know what it is with DLSS for me but it looks rubbish especially when things are moving. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Vimster said:

I don't know what it is with DLSS for me but it looks rubbish especially when things are moving. 

 

I've found that if you have Ray tracing lighting set at Psycho levels it really screws things up with DLSS on. Everything looks incredibly jaggy and - for me at least - looks really naff. Turning that down to the Ultra setting and things look fine. As usual in the PC space, mileage may vary of course!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got as far as my first braindance.

 

What do you actually do in the game, as far as the gameplay goes? Is this more like Shenmue, Detroit: Become Human or Deus X? Just trying to get an idea of what the game will ask of me as a player.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Got as far as my first braindance.

 

What do you actually do in the game, as far as the gameplay goes? Is this more like Shenmue, Detroit: Become Human or Deus X? Just trying to get an idea of what the game will ask of me as a player.

 

 

Out of those three comparisons, Deus Ex is by far the closest. There are lots of missions that see you choosing how to infiltrate a location, and then how to approach the mission based on the character you've built. There's a lot more character stuff than that game though, including sections where you do little but talk, but it's all really well done.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

After a really shaky start, I'm now loving this. One of my favourite aspects is how well the Gig missions are done. They manage to deliver really good context for each one really quickly and somehow it means that missions that in many games would be repetitive somehow manage to feel really distinct and worthwhile. It's the concision that really makes it for me. The quick phone call and then a bit more detail in text if you want it means there's still a lot of gameplay to dialogue. Especially after Horizon Forbidden West, it makes me feel like I'm getting the most out of my gaming time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah see, I don't particularly like that aspect.

 

In terms of 'gaming' you can quickly move through it, but in terms of world building it frequently drops the ball outside of the mains quests because of it. It's so detached that it basically made you a shopping list, realised it's going to be annoying to play a shopping list, and thus minimizes the time associated with said shopping list. A better solution would have been making the content more engaging maybe?

 

Or to put it another way, the game feels like work/Ubi-game instead of a role-playing game to me. I know that's par for the course these days, but I feel this deserved better for its side quests.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Couldn’t disagree more, @Cyhwuhx.

 

In other news I’m still finding bits I’ve never seen before. I was running back to the city through the badlands from the Nomad camp and I came across a big 

 

Spoiler

mine, where they are supposedly building a maglev track but are really looking for a nuclear bomb I think?


Really spooked me when warning sirens went off, but it was deserted as it must be for another mission.

 

Also, the reason I was back at the camp was because I suddenly wondered if it would let me

 

Spoiler

drive the tank again, but of course it doesn’t.


That is a missed opportunity, I’d love to take it into NC on a rampage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There's a ton of little vignettes in the badlands - not all of them lead on to anything more. But they hint at a bigger picture.

 

Empty film shoots, Miltech putting the screws on the local inhabitants to get them to move out, lots of stop and searches.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Cyhwuhx - really interesting. Like @ZOK I actually found it differentiated it from the Ubisoft template because it gave me more of a reason to care about even the smaller side quests than I ever did in an Assassin's Creed or Far Cry. But obviously different things work for different people here. I felt it built on what they managed in the Witcher in a really good way personally.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it's also due to the jokey atmosphere surrounding a lot of quests.

 

Like one of the side-quests near your apartment:

 

Spoiler

Here's a serious issue about police force stress and oh, no, wait... this is just another poke-fun-at-the-world quest as the guy was talking about his tortoise instead.

I feel the game keeps having this MAD Magazine lens on everything. Would've liked for the game to take itself a little more serious.

 

Same as how the world-building/branding in the game wants to be outrageous yet somehow this has to be a serious part of the world which... doesn't really gel. I'm getting theme park ride vibes here mostly, which are muted or absent in the main quest arc. But I can see how the game would be more than fine if that doesn't bother you. In terms of open world game structure it's mostly better than what I thought it would be after all the horror stories.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think that quest stands out to it because for the most part its an outlier. There are some total non serious ones such as the office ref and the malfunction ahem, but there are also plenty of really dark and fucked up gigs too with well written context around the usual gameplay loop. 

 

They're so memorable in comparison to the usual ubisoft guff. I basically didn't even have to think to recall the goofy gigs because they're so memorable.

 

The world isn't as serious as it might seem either. The game in its adverts and corpo power feel is going for the GTA nonsensical sometimes. It's a wonderful weird mix of stupidity and seriousness that works for me somehow. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I quite liked that early police mission. The resolution was quite absurd, but it did drive home the point that this guy was suicidally lonely and had formed this relationship because of the lack of anyone else to resolve his issues with. I don't think the revelation was meant to be a "lol, gotcha!" kind of thing - it was funny, but with a serious point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   2 members

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.