IGNORED

Cyberpunk 2077 - PS5 and XSeries versions out now + major patch

Vemsie

Having bought the PS4 version to use on PS5 I thought it might be fun to see it running on my rickety base PS4 unpatched. It is impressively awful.

The city is basically empty. Aside from my home block it is incredibly rare to see any cars or people.

Textures can take ages to load in. Like 40 seconds and sometimes not at all. 

Coming down from the starting appartment, the lift had no walls, floor or door.

When the textures are there, they are ugly, basic and the screen generally looks like it's covered in Vaseline.

I ran to Tom's Diner and they must have been renovating. There were no tables, chairs, counter. Plates had spawned in and fell straight on the floor as there was no cupboard to hold them.

I randomly get run over by cars that the PS4 either can't or won't actually create for the scene.

If I drive fast, large patches of the road and surrounding scenery just aren't there.

It's a little jarring when a fence or bollard pops in where my car is and they have a little fight.

The game just stops occasionally as the console has a little cry.

People glide around on futuristic invisible Heelys. Sometimes they just T pose forever.

When I turned the PS4 on the next day I was informed that the game would need to be patched to launch so I reinstalled it so that I could carry on enjoying it in it's worst state.

Staggeringly bad. 

I played it for a while in that state; it was do-able, just about. Worst was heavily scripted action sequences - fighting street ninjas while they T-posed on approaching motorbikes was a bit funky.

First update was a decent enough improvement, and I completed the game without too much grief.

I just restarted a play through on PS5. Now that's an improvement.

Although you might see similar if you skip a ride; seems to be a bit janky at positioning your vehicle in the right place to end the ride.

On 09/05/2022 at 06:36, Pelekophoros said:

Ok, so, was "mopping a couple of side quests" has descended into a limitless amount of things to do, seemingly, and the ever present feeling of sadness that I know my time in Night City has to come at some point.

Hide contents

Panam's side quest is done, I think. She just text's to catchup since we murdered a bunch of people in a tank.

Judy is slowly building towards a revolution back at Clouds. We seem to have a plan, and ninja robots, so I'm waiting on a call to go and try to finish that up. I think it is going to go wrong.

I went to do a hit which has morphed into something weird with an ex-convict? I thought it had ended, but now I've had a phone call from Rachel to go and have a chat. We'll see. Need to finish that one up.

I've still not been to see Nix. I want to do that. 

Reformed the band and played a gig last night, so I think Johnny's sidequests are done, but now I'm investigating something for Nancy having rescued her. I want to see this one through.

Not sure what is happening with Rogue at the moment. I got Johnny's old wheels back, but Smasher wasn't there, so it seems like I need to wait for something to trigger or Smasher gets dealt with as part of the end game (seems likely). We'll see.

Delamain called me up in a mess. Ended up shutting him down and releasing his children into the world - would have gone for the middle ground but didn't have the right skill level to do that.

Still not bothered about graffiti, fights or side jobs.

22 hours ago, Pelekophoros said:

I had a go at a Cyberpsycho at one point many missions ago, because it was right by a destination. No matter what I did it turned into insta-death very quickly every time, so I've actively avoided those. I've done some flashing mission things locally. I'm not particularly subtle with those, tends to be lots of guns and stress relief.

Hide contents

EDIT: Oh yeah, I'm in the midst of a mission tracking some kinda signal down by hacking routers. It's pretty boring, but ably demonstrates how big the map is while allowing Johnny to keep claiming I'm just tracing a dick out on the map. Could be accurate.

Um. Go see Nix. Also go back to the place where Act 2 begins. I personally would advise doing a bunch of scanner hustle stuff - there’s a lot of incidental storytelling and fun references to other intellectual properties, and a lot of them take place in really interesting locations that you’ll never see otherwise. They’re a mixed bag - they can be difficult, complex encounters requiring reconnaissance, planning and luck, or they can just be five guys standing around a tent. But they’re the best way to improve your level and street cred and gain access to better gear and vehicles. 

For what it’s worth, the cyberpsychos involve some of the best world-building/ storytelling in the game so maybe it’s time to get tooled up and go back for some more fun. If you’re struggling, try crafting a few dozen flashbangs and blinding them repeatedly while you batter them with a non-lethal weapon; they get staggered and you can smack them until you run out of stamina and then hit them with another flashbang, by which time your stamina will have recharged and you can stagger them again. Usually once you get close enough they’ll switch to melee and you can parry their attacks instead of blinding them - I took out a mantis bladed cyberpsycho this way fairly early on. 

Flashbangs should be everyone’s friend. Amazing for giving you a break for a few seconds in a fight so you can heal, reorient, or dish out massive damage to a high-threat enemy. 

Pretty sure there's a cybermod that makes all damage non-lethal. Or a Pax weapon mod - fit it to something beefy.

Although I seem to vaguely recall non-lethal head shots might still end up decapitating the target; so maybe not on a smart sniper rifle.

First time around I killed a few of them before I clocked that I was supposed to be subduing them. Whoops.

I didn’t think you could kill the cyberpsychos. On my first playthrough, I was gunning them down with abandon, but all the dialogue with Regina indicated that I’d taken them alive. It seemed a bit odd that I’d apparently blown their heads off non-lethally, but I assumed it was a narrative convenience. 

Was that a bug? I guess everything in the first year of Cyberpunk 2077 was a bug. 

Yeah that was my experience of it too. Though post 1.5 on PS5 at least I had to be careful...and they still sometimes ended up dead.

Hmm.

I love the game by the way.

75 hours in now.  Still doing gigs and side quests and trying to get handguns to 20, I believe I’ve got a couple more things to do with Johnny and Judy, then I might go for as many achievements as I can get. Some of them seem like a slog, I got all the graffiti but I’ll be fucked if I’m going for cars and houses. I don’t appear to be anywhere near the gigs and scanner hustles in any of the zones either. I figured the scanners were randomly generated until I saw there was an achievement.  Killed almost all the cyberpsychos and still got the achievement for completing the quest line. 

60AEA7C9-962A-488A-AAC2-F28EAF72E42B.jpeg
rocking the Macho Man look, oooh yeah. 

On 10/05/2022 at 08:11, K said:

I didn’t think you could kill the cyberpsychos. On my first playthrough, I was gunning them down with abandon, but all the dialogue with Regina indicated that I’d taken them alive. It seemed a bit odd that I’d apparently blown their heads off non-lethally, but I assumed it was a narrative convenience. 

Was that a bug? I guess everything in the first year of Cyberpunk 2077 was a bug. 

i don’t know but if you do too much damage to someone with a “non-lethal” blunt weapon then it just fucking kills them. So I get them down to about 5% and then switch to the ole knuckle sandwiches

5 minutes ago, Floshenbarnical said:

i don’t know but if you do too much damage to someone with a “non-lethal” blunt weapon then it just fucking kills them. So I get them down to about 5% and then switch to the ole knuckle sandwiches

That's quite cool, albeit probably annoying in some circumstances. I always thought it was weird that you had non-lethal metal pipes and non-lethal machine guns, which were impossible to kill people people. Like, you could fire them into a crowded lift and everyone would be fine. This way, you have to be a bit more careful.

I really need to go back to my next-gen playthrough of Cyberpunk.

Playing it much less sneakily this time around, and consequently the pacing seems quicker.

Finding missions more challenging (think I went a mode up from normal) - having to use hacking skills to close shutters to block snipers, using environmental damage more (exploding cylinders,  by shooting or hacking a nearby device to overload), running away a lot to circle back around. Yay! for active camo.

Picked up a beast of a double-barrelled shottie, which helps if I can kite someone away from the pack.

Also, in running away from a city location to get some distance, I've ended up in running three-way battles between me, the mission targets, and local street thugs.

Been playing this on Series X during the current new releases drought after getting it via the cheapo code from Argentina route. So glad I waited until it was in a better state before experiencing it for the first time. The other thing I'm glad I did was read a bunch of 'Things I Wish I'd Known' articles and recommended builds before starting as I think the game itself does a piss poor job of explaining loads of its mechanics and systems.I think they made a lot of things overly complicated for no real gain and lot of the character building UI and mechanics would have benefitted from comprehensive streamlining. 

Anyway I'm having a hoot as a techno wizard who can now make people shoot themselves in the head just by squinting at them. The world and scale of everything is bloody impressive, such a shame they released it in the state they did. What I will say is that the sheer ambition is impressive, walking down some random alley and just the level of detail and atmosphere. Just did the festival mission and bloody hell that made me feel like I was in a film.

You can see how they bit off more than they could chew and why it took as long as it did and how it initially went wrong as opposed to, say, Halo Infinite where you look at what they produced and wonder what the hell they did for over half a decade.

On 13/05/2022 at 13:26, smac said:

Also, in running away from a city location to get some distance, I've ended up in running three-way battles between me, the mission targets, and local street thugs.

Get that double jump from the ripperdoc if you haven't already.  It opens up so many possibilities when you are in combat. 

Did I mention that I allowed myself a single knife to throw at people for when I need to reload my revolver? Shooting all six shots and then finishing someone off with a knife to the eye before sliding into cover while reloading makes me feel like a fucking ninja cowboy. Strong recommend

1 hour ago, Naysonymous said:

Get that double jump from the ripperdoc if you haven't already.  It opens up so many possibilities when you are in combat. 

Got the charged jump recently - much later than in my first play-through; I kept wondering why I couldn't reach places I was sure I got to, first time around. 

I'm not really sure why the charged jump is in the game at all, it's less fun to use than the double jump and isn't as effective.

Campaign done!

Not sure whether to go back and finish things up, or start a new game in a while, looking into fun builds. I ended up as a horrendously overpowered generalist who snuck around for a bit before shooting everyone to death. Be cool to go a bit more special than that.

Spoiler

Went with the 'Jonny lives' ending after raiding Arosaka with Rogue. I always thought he probably would take over, but I like that he did as an act of sacrifice for V instead of murdering her in her own body and disappearing into cyberspace. Not sure which way I'd do it the next time - same raid but fuck off and leave her to die? Take the deal? Raid it with Panam?

We'll see - I may box off some of those endings with quick play throughs of the final mission again just to see them, but then play through again in a different style and see what feels true that time around.

Absolutely stonking game.

39 minutes ago, K said:

I'm not really sure why the charged jump is in the game at all, it's less fun to use than the double jump and isn't as effective.

Yeah? Random choice, really. I'll swap it out when I get another 30K Eddies and have a play.

I think the charged jump gives you more overall height, but the double jump is more versatile and fun to deploy. If you do need a bit more verticality you can usually jump up onto something else first, like a lamppost or one of your vehicles.

Had a little session on this earlier, first time in a few months. Luckily played many, many hours as the whole UI etc came back to me in minutes. Man, I feel like I'm cheating with the Mantis blades, was in a fraught fire fight earlier, sucking the inhalers like they were going out of style, nearly died several times. Had a high powered uber blaster but it was still a tough time. Ran around the corner and thought, fuck it, reappeared rocking my blades with a burn mod, absolutely decimated the lot of them. Swish swish, cya later. Felt a bit bad.

Don't want to bog down with tech nonsense but anyone dropped the DLSS 2.4.3 file into it? I'm sure it's had a detrimental effect. Some funky body wobble, looks like Kingpin now and again.

Off to Google.

Still an awesome game, just not enough hours in the day at the minute.

"Oh, Elden Ring!"