IGNORED

Cyberpunk 2077 - PS5 and XSeries versions out now + major patch

Vemsie

I had about 20 hours in from launch on PC - liked it, but didn't love it. I had no major technical issues and it looked great, especially given the scale of the world.

I've gone back in out of curiosity to see if the patch has made any difference, and things seem to have clicked for me in terms of systems and putting it all together. I estimate I'm in the final third of Act 2 (unless the remaining missions are huge). I spent about 2 hours stealthily taking out a warehouse of guards and hacking a story thing last night, and it was just fantastic. Then I figured out some body modification stuff, bought some mantis sword arms and went around chopping up gangs, doing a few side missions, playing around with the crafting. I'm suddenly 100% committed to it, and thinking about putting in a good chunk of time over the coming weeks.

I had to reallocate all my perk points, but I can't remember what I had before. I think I had some perks in the past that are now locked behind certain 'body' or 'intelligence' levels. I have a bit of a mongrel build anyway, and have ended up not really maximizing any particular thing. I actually wouldn't mind being god tier and completely overpowered as people have described in the past, but I'll have to commit to something, probably the hacking side of things.

It's a lot to take in but I'm feeling in the groove now - I know it's had plenty of issues but still very impressive.

On 27/02/2022 at 10:01, marsh said:

Indeed, playing this on a PS5 and my only observation is that while this is clearly a massive world, there's not alot in it. Certainly not many humans wandering about.

I keep getting distracted doing the police's dirty work.

:facepalm:

Might want to keep an eye on the time of day for that one......plenty of people wandering about at lunchtime. Just started act 2, this really is a piece of work. Like, almost bewildering. 

3 minutes ago, milko said:

Dude on the chair seems to be taking the situation in very calmly.

Heavy cybernetic augmentation including rapid adrenaline inhibitors.

12 minutes ago, Floshenbarnical said:

Its his dad lmao

And your life doesn't flash before your eyes, 'cause you're too fuckin' scared to think - you just freeze, and pull a stupid face.

If you do it the other way around, the dad proper wails. Its hilarious. The shits.

They seem to have fixed whatever was the issue on Stadia with this to revert it back to how it looked before, as much as I can tell. So that’s good!

Except they’ve introduced a bug that means after about an hour of play it suddenly slows down to 10fps, and you have to quit and restart the game unless you want to play in slow motion. :hat:

There’s a field of view slider now too, the default seems to be 80 but you can go up to 100…any point in using that?

The more I play this the more I am in awe of the sheer complexity, beauty and ambition, both in narrative and world building. I am now fifty hours in and still in Act 2. I really like how CDPR helps the player enjoy the side quests and exploration by giving us a moment to breathe. They have provided small stops in both the main and side quests by concluding small arcs and have the NPCs “be in touch when they know more to proceed”.

I also love how they use world building to tie in with some quests. In the early game I remember watching on TV a case of a serial killer and the death of an important figure and wishing I had the chance to figure out what happened. Well, after 30 hours and coming in touch with the right people I got my side quests wish - and what great side quests they are, even if one I had to stop to take a break because of how disturbing it was. There are no better writers in the RPG genre than CDPR (and are easily amongst the best in the industry).

The writing also goes hand in hand with the world building and exposition.  CDPR are masters of taking their time to explore and build characters, develop the world. They have the characters talk about themselves and the city in organic ways like eating and drinking with V, quest details are discussed and not simply narrated or read. This goes a long way to make the world and the story feel present, alive.

The gameplay has now opened up and it has been a joy using stealth and controlling the environment. So many options to approach things, so many different elements combined. I just hope one day we can actually have a better AI for when using stealth, because it’s not much different from the rest of games. The actual shooting is fun and coming up against bosses can really mix things up, but all in all this feels more like the W2 combat - it’s almost good. 

Johnny is excellently  written and such an asshole. 😆 Even one line from him gives color to the most mundane tasks. Last but not least, some of the main missions are incredible. One specific springs to mind that I played yesterday with Takemura. The atmosphere, the rhythm, the tension and so, so beautiful (Series X, RT - pic probably looks like shit, upload from the phone and don’t know how to do it proper):

Spoiler

image.png.63c73c1205ad21c8c604370f72400c9c.png

Just started a second play through and my only real complaint is being unable to skip the heist. Large parts of the map are locked off until you reach act 2. It feels like having to eat your vegetables before you can have dessert. 

3 hours ago, Garibaldi said:

Just started a second play through and my only real complaint is being unable to skip the heist. Large parts of the map are locked off until you reach act 2. It feels like having to eat your vegetables before you can have dessert. 

nah, Watson is the best part of the map

Pacifica is easily my favourite area. All that decaying consumerism, beach city vibes and a quick jog down the map and you can enjoy the deserted peace of Biotechnica Flats, or whatever it’s called.

33 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Pacifica is easily my favourite area. All that decaying consumerism, beach city vibes and a quick jog down the map and you can enjoy the deserted peace of Biotechnica Flats, or whatever it’s called.

Yeah, Pacifica is gorgeous. 

My V is pretty much retired now, from solo life to Night City pop star to girl band manager, and mainly just chills out enjoying the spoils.

397F65C9-39CA-4374-A8E0-FF123093F610.thumb.jpeg.244d044b8187a15859d36578e40133a2.jpeg

Of course, she never forgets the days when she was elite street samurai, a one woman army shaping her own vision of metal-fisted order from the chaos.

268DBACA-2835-4EDF-9FF2-0B4E4B1143C6.thumb.jpeg.3d390047022227a351d50b5e9a68414b.jpeg

I've really gotten stuck into this over the last couple of weeks -- really enjoying it. Once the mechanics started to click I was able to settle in, and now I'm about half way through the story.

But I'm here to talk about the bugs. On Xbox Series X this is still a pretty buggy game -- probably nowhere near as comically bad as it was at launch, but still one of the buggiest major console releases I've played in a long time. Thankfully I haven't had any crashes or broken quests, but for every couple of hours of play there have been bugs that required a reload to fix them. Most commonly it's sound effects not stopping after they should, and other oddities. Including:

- Minimap disappeared above the screen - could see the bottom edge of it poking out at the top of the screen - during The Pickup. Reloaded a save to fix.

- HUD disruption and controller vibration after a Johnny Silverhand cutscene wouldn't stop afterwards. Reloaded a save to fix.

- That really creepy Cyberpsycho who rises out of the ice bath: there's an environmental sound effect of her heavy breathing, which didn't stop after the mission and travelled everywhere with me. Reloaded a save to fix.

- Fell through the ground into freefall minus world, Vice City style!

- Equipping headgear made V's hair turn black. Went to the character editor in the mirror, but all hair colours glitched to black. Did a mission with Judy and her hair was also black. Reloading a save wasn't enough - had to stop and restart the game.

- Female characters' hair turned black on another occasion too. The flashback scene with Alt Cunningham - I thought she was raven haired! I was surprised to find out later she was supposed to be blonde.

- A time when I couldn't scan at all using L1. Reloaded a save to fix.

- Wakako was talking on a phone (by the way, why did she have a regular old cellphone?). After she put it on the desk, the phone flew around in the air matching her hand movements as she talked to me. (I've seen much more comical versions of this bug from earlier builds of the game)

- Audio crackles pretty constantly.

- A couple of times characters and pedestrians had two sets of clothes on at the same time, flickering between each other.

On PS5 I've had one hard crash and one instance of V riding his bike upside-down and that's it in 20 hours.

More importantly I found a ripperdoc who was selling an implant that lets me go invisible for 15 seconds (with a 60 second cooldown) and stealth sudddenly became much easier, even slightly broken in an enjoyable way. I just need to increase my cyber-hacking toolset and I'll basically be the Ghost in the Shell lady in bloke form.

14 hours ago, SqueakyG said:

- Equipping headgear made V's hair turn black. Went to the character editor in the mirror, but all hair colours glitched to black. Did a mission with Judy and her hair was also black. Reloading a save wasn't enough - had to stop and restart the game.

This is the only one I’ve had on Stadia, or a variation of it, and it’s only happened since they dropped the patch. This is V, with a mostly full head of hair:

8E39F1AB-DA1F-4552-BC33-2E05B2CFCAF1.thumb.jpeg.e2d3eb68a3c176431d6573091f9224d1.jpeg

As we can see, in the world without a hat she still has hair:

905A248B-752D-4322-A9B2-7F0718816C3C.thumb.jpeg.d835d20ecf0fbe056bbbe6a43964b8b4.jpeg

Stick her signature combat cap on though and suddenly she’s bald as a coot:

CA6F2F70-6347-4977-9F10-7D45503E8E1A.thumb.jpeg.de5da024d3ed7c3fec3c0478c50a9d04.jpeg

I must admit, I’ve grown to like it though. I’d forgotten she’d got tattoos on the back of her head, and they get shown off now so it’s all good…she’s like a futuristic Agent 47:

E8EF2A58-D3F2-4DFC-85F5-494F4C5FC23C.thumb.jpeg.f5ca0908ee025fb7cc6feb5cd3e77ac9.jpeg

Parry timing is so generous in this game that beating a cyberpsycho senseless with 0 points into melee is easier than shooting them.

888FA65A-AA6C-46C9-B648-F50EFB2CEE01.thumb.jpeg.b2889e9000c1858bf5bf6298fd497f89.jpeg

Rescued this guy from a Tyger Claws beating during some serious smog or sandstorm

571F5D28-2278-48A3-AF80-FCC4BACEE49C.thumb.jpeg.930a141143aceb42d8dab6bd53ab3f10.jpeg

Kabuki is the best

FDD4D167-9CBA-4860-9BAD-2D43A82AB42B.thumb.jpeg.3af27ffe7975fda7d6d96e106340203f.jpeg

On 01/03/2022 at 22:25, Floshenbarnical said:

My only disappointment with Pacifica is that it seemed unfinished, like they had plans for it they never got around to. There’s a few blocks that are walled off and inaccessible, for instance, and the dynamic events etc are a bit sparser than elsewhere.

Pacifica feels very much like a ‘ah shit, we’re out of time’ area. There’s the main quest point of the mall and…not much else really. That makes some people suspect that it’s going to be the main focus of one of the forthcoming DLCs, but we shall see.