IGNORED

Cyberpunk 2077 - PS5 and XSeries versions out now + major patch

Vemsie

8 minutes ago, Fallows said:

I particularly enjoy Keanu being such a fucking bell-end, as well. His character is written perfectly. 

I worried about him being in the game as he’s probably one of my least favourite actors, but I agree the part seems almost written for him. Reeves’ trademark bored, anhedonic performance fits Johnny Silverhand perfectly. 

I always find the idea that it’s not believable that the main character would ignore the main quest interesting, especially in RPGs. I just assume that they care about as much about the central quest as I do. So V might be interested in finding out who set her up, but she’s not fussed enough to sprint directly there. Maybe on the way there she gets distracted. Maybe she judges that the main tasks would be easier overall if she first acquired more resources or allies. Plus in terms of role playing V doesn’t know which one has “main quest” written above it. Why shouldn’t earning enough money to pay Vik back or getting her car fixed be just as much of a priority for her as finding out about the chip in her head? 

If my roof collapsed, it would be pretty urgent that I fix it. It might become the “main quest” in my life. But that doesn’t mean that if I go to get my car repaired so I can bring materials to get it fixed or go pick up my mate who is a structural engineer I’m ignoring the problem because I didn’t walk straight to it and start trying to fix it. 

I also started this on Series X tonight. Only seen a few screenshots and maybe thirty seconds of a trailers so everything is a bit overwhelming right now.

Spent about an hour in the character creation menu, obviously.  

7 minutes ago, JPL said:

@Fallows Easy with those spoilers. There a lot of new people starting this now the next gen patch is out.

Fuck ‘em all. If they’ve failed to suffer the pain of the game at launch then they deserve everything coming to them.

;) 

It cracks me up the way people have to justify the ‘timing’ of the main quest vs side quests with this. It’s a fucking game!

Listen, in my game Hanako has been waiting for V at Embers now since around March 2021 while I fart around Night City chopping off arms and taking selfies, and due to the Stadia version being downgraded by 1.5 she may never meet her at all.

She very nearly got her wish before Christmas when I accidentally drove up the steps of Embers trying to see if I could make Rogue get out of the Porsche by smashing it into a box shape while we were on a romantic drive together and I thought I’d found an undiscovered building, but I realised where I was just in time and scooted off again. I think I saw her looking longingly at us through the window.

I just solved my gameplay issue and had my first real great side mission, rescuing a doctor from the Maelstrom. Apparently, I had gone for a quickhack built and I had missed entirely the quickhack menu in the intelligence. 🙈

It was a small building up on the northside of Watson. I scanned the area and found a side door but my technical wasn't high enough. I persisted though and went behind the building. I managed to climb on some containers and from there on the roof. After some searching I discovered a shaft and I was able to go in. I disabled the first batch of cameras and distracted the enemies. Then I pinged and jumped into the big room. I moved silently distracting, incapacitating enemies and turning off cameras. Suddenly I was spotted by the last two enemies, I glitched the weapon of one, drew my katana and I killed the other one. As the glitched guy aimed his weapon at me and started shooting I fried him with a quickhack. 

It was exhilarating. 

1 hour ago, ZOK said:

It cracks me up the way people have to justify the ‘timing’ of the main quest vs side quests with this. It’s a fucking game!

Listen, in my game Hanako has been waiting for V at Embers now since around March 2021 while I fart around Night City chopping off arms and taking selfies, and due to the Stadia version being downgraded by 1.5 she may never meet her at all.

She very nearly got her wish before Christmas when I accidentally drove up the steps of Embers trying to see if I could make Rogue get out of the Porsche by smashing it into a box shape while we were on a romantic drive together and I thought I’d found an undiscovered building, but I realised where I was just in time and scooted off again. I think I saw her looking longingly at us through the window.

Proper lol

For the first game ever I actually ploughed loads into Crafting & not only can I make and upgrade legendary weapons I can also make thousands selling them too.

Once I’ve finished it I will check out some videos of other builds on YouTube and probably be amazed how differently people have approached this.

I’ve just played to the title screen, which was pretty much impossible on PS4.

When I played it on release, my HUD disappeared in the early part of the game after the ripper doc, so I had no idea what to do. I didn’t realise it was a bug. I thought it was meant to happen. So I got lost in the city and eventually gave up and didn’t bother going back to it. I’m retroactively annoyed at having my time wasted!

10 hours ago, Talk Show Host said:

I just solved my gameplay issue and had my first real great side mission, rescuing a doctor from the Maelstrom. Apparently, I had gone for a quickhack built and I had missed entirely the quickhack menu in the intelligence. 🙈

It was a small building up on the northside of Watson. I scanned the area and found a side door but my technical wasn't high enough. I persisted though and went behind the building. I managed to climb on some containers and from there on the roof. After some searching I discovered a shaft and I was able to go in. I disabled the first batch of cameras and distracted the enemies. Then I pinged and jumped into the big room. I moved silently distracting, incapacitating enemies and turning off cameras. Suddenly I was spotted by the last two enemies, I glitched the weapon of one, drew my katana and I killed the other one. As the glitched guy aimed his weapon at me and started shooting I fried him with a quickhack. 

It was exhilarating. 

Spoiler

having done that quest 3 times now, I did it again for a 4th last night. Instead of sneaking through stealth-killing everyone, I threw a flashbang through a grate in the ceiling, dropped down, and blew everyone's heads off with my hand cannon while they screamed bloody murder. That's where the "Peekaboo" pic earlier comes from. When I went into the Dr's office she implored me to save him, as I had done the other 3 times. This time I simply drew my weapon and deleted his head. 

"That's enough risk for one day," said V.

She was not impressed. But, I reasoned that I had just killed all his friends and didn't want him coming after either of us later.

I like it better this way.

When the Dr implored me to help her save the gang member

Edited for spoilers

Spoiler

Hanako, when any of us finally turn up to meet her

image.png.7e5bdbe3ba736b5e3f35e90332347957.png

This was never really on my radar, so don’t know that much about it really, other than it’s heritage and the state it was released in. Gave the demo a go on PS5 and found it to be incredibly immersive, so snapped it up whilst it’s £20. Graphics and audio are top notch. Just done the bit at Liz’s Bar and really enjoying it, can’t wait to play some more!

I started playing this for the first time at the weekend - Xbox Series X. I'd bought the disc some time last year when it was £18 in CEX, and saved it for the native next-gen upgrade.

Gameplay:

I'm still in the overhelmed "can't tell what's going on or how anything works" phase of starting an RPG. This seems to be an especially complicated one. Wonderful world and setting and atmosphere.

I've been to Lizzie's Bar and done the braindance stuff (which was great), and then did that mission at the Maelstrom base. The Maelstrom base turned into a shootout and I felt quite bewildered. I don't really understand how the hacking works yet (like the difference between quickhacks and the breaching minigame... I'll understand it eventually). As the first big location with lots of combat I thought this mission should have been a tutorial, but it didn't feel very instructive.

I just looked at a guide for this mission ("The Pickup") - just to make sense of it - and now I'm worried I really didn't understand it. "In this mission you'll choose to side with Maelstrom or Militech"... jeez, I didn't realise I was making those choices at all. I must confess that a lot of dialogue went over my head - technobabble and slang. I also didn't decrypt Meredith's money shard. I wanted to... but a popup about "How to decrypt shards" stayed on the screen for 5 seconds, then I couldn't find shards in the inventory.

(No need to teach me here, btw - I'm reading up on this stuff).

After this, I spent an hour or two wandering around Watson - but I should probably let the story play out a little more before I explore. Haven't met Keanu yet.

Not sure about the combat. The damage is RPG stat-based, right? So enemies need more than one headshot, which makes them feel like sponges right now. It's also hard to aim down pistol sights because... well... the pistol is in the way. I also wish that security cameras were more noticeable - both visually and on the minimap.

Very very minor nitpick - I don't like how you get into a car with X but get out with B.

I had a few bugs and oddities. I think the game lost the perks I spent and I had to choose them again... unless that's my mistake and I reloaded without saving. Also, do clothes level with you? I put V's starter prologue clothes in storage as soon as I got to the apartment and they had armour values around 3.2, then a few hours later I put them back in my inventory and they suddenly turned into 15-ish armour.

Technicals:

I don't have a point of comparison with the older version because this is my first time playing. It looks great -- but not flawless. There's quite a lot of "fizzing" stuff, which is the LOD of objects changing as you get close to them. Some other textures and lighting effects seem "fizzy" too. Objects and pedestrians can pop into existence sometimes. I've seen some pedestrians have bugged walking animations and street objects sometimes float.

Performance Mode looks sharp enough (I'm still on a 1080p display) and runs at a smooth 60fps, although you can turn to look at complicated areas and feel the FPS drop sometimes. Raytracing Mode is not really an option -- the 30fps feels like an especially sluggish 30fps for some reason. I'm happy to play some games at 30fps... 30fps can often feel smooth enough... but there's something wrong with this game's 30fps.

I knew immediately that I had to turn all the thumbstick acceleration down to zero - what were they thinking? I also turned off motion blur because it's really pronounced - it's a shame it doesn't have a slider. You know what else doesn't have a slider? FOV. It's a pretty low FOV here. The cutscenes rely on V sitting in close quarters with other characters, so maybe you're not supposed to change the FOV.

I had pretty much the exact same experience with that mission in the Maelstrom base.  I found it all really baffling and I was just aimlessly wandering, following the yellow dots on the map, and shooting things until it stopped.  

At one point the mission blurb gave me an optional task of saving the gang leader (I think), but I have no idea if I did that or not, and don't know how I can tell if I did or not now its complete. 

Into 'act 2' now, and I'm having a much better time.  Really enjoyed all the stuff directly after the heist.

Fucking hell, this is a bit good! Proper immense! Wasn’t expecting it due to all the negativity surrounding the game early doors. Must have played it for 7hrs straight last night and had to force myself to switch it off.

One minute it’s genuinely like you’re in a film it’s that immersive......the next playing a full on RPG, choosing your perks and upgrading stats and equipment etc.......next minute it plays like a next gen Splinter Cell, stealthing through a building, creeping up on enemies and taking them down........before it explodes into a cover shooter.......then it’s on to a Virtua Cop/Time Crisis style on rails, action packed shoot out set piece.......before roaming around the open world, GTA style, sight seeing and picking up side missions.

Playing on PS5 and the graphics and audio are incredible on a 65inch 4K screen with headphones. There have been bits that genuinely creeped me out as some of the characters and scenes have been photo realistic. Not seen any frame rate drops at all, or encountered any glitches. 

Just got into the start of Act 2 and the story has really kicked off. Really great premise and some of the action scenes have been fully explosive. So yeah, if this carries on along these lines it’s easily a 9/10 game, possibly even a 10/10 game. Up there with Returnal and Microsoft Flight Sim as the most next gen game I’ve played so far.

20 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

Fucking hell, this is a bit good! Proper immense! Wasn’t expecting it due to all the negativity surrounding the game early doors. Must have played it for 7hrs straight last night and had to force myself to switch it off.

It's always been great tbh. Just crap on base consoles from launch and kinda buggy. Gamers are just dumb. 

I'm about 20 hours into my second playthrough since not touching it since Dec 2020 and I still love it. It just sucks because this is one of the few games where the narrative/story beats are so compelling that its making me kinda sad that I already know exactly what is happening at the end of each side job or main mission. Instead I'm hunting out all the environmental story details in gigs (of which there are plenty!). 

15 hours ago, Ste Pickford said:

I had pretty much the exact same experience with that mission in the Maelstrom base.  I found it all really baffling and I was just aimlessly wandering, following the yellow dots on the map, and shooting things until it stopped.  

At one point the mission blurb gave me an optional task of saving the gang leader (I think), but I have no idea if I did that or not, and don't know how I can tell if I did or not now its complete. 

Into 'act 2' now, and I'm having a much better time.  Really enjoyed all the stuff directly after the heist.

That Maelstrom mission is quite badly designed in terms of layout. I've been through three times, and I missed the gang leader twice - I had to find a walkthrough to figure out where he was. It's really confusing in terms of where enemies are shooting you from, especially if it's your first time through - even having played through the whole game, I was very disorientated on my second go. The story is very cool, but that specific mission is absolutely terrible in terms of just dumping you into a room with loads of enemies and leaving you to work out how things like cameras and hacking and grenades and breach protocol work. Within seconds, an enemy netrunner was trying to hack me, and I had no idea where they were or how to stop them.

The rest of the game is much more approachable, but that bit loads way too much stuff onto you way too quickly.

Both times I’ve done that mission I’ve ended up fighting Militech rather than Maelstrom, which seems like the ‘best’ outcome.

I also struggled to find the shards in the UI though, took me ages to figure out they were a drop-down. The interface for sorting through them leaves a lot to be desired as well. 

Yep, I think everyone completely missed* Brick during their first time through that mission.

*Or even knew who Brick was. He comes up in conversation with the Maelstrom guys as if the player already knows who he is, but I don't recall him being mentioned prior to that encounter ... Dexter DeTwat may mention him once, not sure. 

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yep, I think everyone completely missed* Brick during their first time through that mission.

*Or even knew who Brick was. He comes up in conversation with the Maelstrom guys as if the player already knows who he is, but I don't recall him being mentioned prior to that encounter ... Dexter DeTwat may mention him once, not sure. 

There's a whole conversation you have before the mission about how Dex had made the original deal to buy a drone from Brick, but that Brick had been usurped by one of his men, and now Dex wasn't sure whether the agreement still stood. They really hammer home that Brick isn't in charge any more and that the new guy was an unknown quantity, but I got to that bit and STILL couldn't remember who Brick was when the 'Free Brick [Optional]' mission marker came up.

This kind of game absolutely chucks information at you, and you can't guarantee that the player will remember a particular fact unless you give them a proper hook for it. Like, with the above conversation, the bits of information I took away were "new guy is a nutter; might not respect the old deal and want payment again" because that's the bit that's important for my character. They told me who Brick was, but didn't show me.

They should have had a bit where Royce, the new boss, shows you a video of Brick in his cell and taunts him a bit, just so you have a bit more context around the name.