IGNORED

Cyberpunk 2077 - PS5 and XSeries versions out now + major patch

Vemsie

9 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

So! 
...as I own both a PS5 and a XsX I downloaded the trail on both and have been playing it on both... it's rare you get a trial this long on both platforms so you can compare and contrast. 

HDR seems fucked on PS5 but not fucked on XsX. 

When you boot up on PS5, it'll switch on HDR, but appears to be HDR in an SDR container? then there's an option to set "HDR10" in the options and it all looks totally washed out, even when setting the HDR to something sensible for my C9 (peak 800 nits, paper white 160 nits) 

XsX is a different story, it boots in HDR and looks correct! There's no "HDR10" option and setting the peak/paper settings the same it looks awesome. 

Also! my observations (which might be all wrong) - 

• PS5 Ray-tracing mode seems to stick to 30 fps better
  • XsX seems to stick to 60 fps a tiny bit better in Performance mode
  • XsX defo seems to be a higher resolution in Performance mode

I'll probably get the XsX version, as I also prefer to play fps games on that pad. 

Yeah, my TV briefly blacks out when switching from HDR to normal (I think that’s why the screen goes black briefly when going back to the Home Screen on the series X) and it will do the same when switching between HDR on some games too.

Cyberpunk the TV stays in HDR mode so maybe it’s the other way around? SDR in a HDR container? Though not sure how that would work on a non HDR TV.

42CE147F-5E45-49A5-B7E6-04272D4D5181.jpeg

I'd forgotten how much detail there was in this. I was playing the first mission last night, where you have to rescue the woman from the bath, and in the aftermath I was in the lift with Jackie while on the phone to my fixer. I glanced up at Jackie while the fixer was droning on, and he made eye contact and gave a little wink. I'm not sure whether it's just one of Jackie's idle animations that he randomly does if you look at him, or whether it was specific to this bit, but it was incredibly impressive given that it wasn't a cutscene and was perfectly timed to what was happening on screen.

5 minutes ago, K said:

I'd forgotten how much detail there was in this. I was playing the first mission last night, where you have to rescue the woman from the bath, and in the aftermath I was in the lift with Jackie while on the phone to my fixer. I glanced up at Jackie while the fixer was droning on, and he made eye contact and gave a little wink. I'm not sure whether it's just one of Jackie's idle animations that he randomly does if you look at him, or whether it was specific to this bit, but it was incredibly impressive given that it wasn't a cutscene and was perfectly timed to what was happening on screen.

It was often mentioned that the first "chunk" of the game is so much more polished than the rest of it - I am not sure if that is still the case but the 5 hour trial certainly will promote that.

13 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Yeah, my TV briefly blacks out when switching from HDR to normal (I think that’s why the screen goes black briefly when going back to the Home Screen on the series X) and it will do the same when switching between HDR on some games too.

Cyberpunk the TV stays in HDR mode so maybe it’s the other way around? SDR in a HDR container? Though not sure how that would work on a non HDR TV.

42CE147F-5E45-49A5-B7E6-04272D4D5181.jpeg

Yes sorry, I meant "SDR in an HDR container", bit of a typo there from me I'm afraid :)

The lighting and texture pop in is still pretty bad, regardless of mode.

I can’t recall if it was there before but there’s an incredibly ugly looking speed effect applied to the windshield of motorbikes in first person mode when going at speed. I don’t have much experience of motorbikes but I’m pretty sure that if you’re travelling at the same speed as the bike you’re sat on, the front of it wouldn’t go all blurry like scenery in your close vision would be when rushing by.

1 hour ago, Fallows said:

Mods mostly add more than just more 'charm', if that's what you were hinting at?

No I meant it's interesting that a game that was similarly fucked and absolutely requires mods, was hailed as one of the best games ever - while Cyberpunk (which is a pretty good experience from what I've played) is painted as a complete trainwreck shite game. Just interesting to see. Once the internet hate start rolling, it keeps snowballing I guess.

3 hours ago, T Pot said:

Damn it’s a bit bloody brilliant isn’t it? I went to play for an hour last night after baby T Pot went to bed…. I was on until fucking 1am!

It does have that effect of drawing you into the world doesn't it! :) Same thing happened to me only wanted to give the demo a "quick go" to see what the fuss was all about and 2-3 hours later I was still there exploring. You notice the odd graphic glitch here and there (had Jackie walk through cars!) but its very impressive. Feels a very oppressive and bleak environment though. The first mission or job with the body parts harvesting den and the trauma unit collecting the patient. Felt very much like you were participating in dystopian sci-fi film. Like Half Life 2 on steroids. 

13 hours ago, ZOK said:

That’s not how it seemed to me - as I observed upthread, if you play it in Visual mode it looks like it used to look graphically as far as I can tell, but then the silky smooth frame rate it used to have is shattered, so it looks terrible anyway.

I was playing it on frame rate mode and you could barely read the advertising hoardings…it’s really quite incredible what they’ve done to it. 

I remember playing on launch PS4 when it released. I thought, “well I sure wish I had a PC or PS5” because it looked so fuzzy I could hardly see what I was doing. Then I got to V’s apartment and opened the window, and all the ad ribbons in the sky were completely unreadable. Honestly a really sad moment. I should have uninstalled and held off until just now, but the world-building had me utterly hooked. Like William Gibson dropped acid at a latex fetish rave where Mad Max and Bladerunner were playing on repeat on overhead projectors

1 hour ago, MattyP said:

It does have that effect of drawing you into the world doesn't it! :) Same thing happened to me only wanted to give the demo a "quick go" to see what the fuss was all about and 2-3 hours later I was still there exploring. You notice the odd graphic glitch here and there (had Jackie walk through cars!) but its very impressive. Feels a very oppressive and bleak environment though. The first mission or job with the body parts harvesting den and the trauma unit collecting the patient. Felt very much like you were participating in dystopian sci-fi film. Like Half Life 2 on steroids. 

For me it’s the small details with the characters, like Jackie’s wink (that I had never noticed), or how there’s a kind-of intimate moment with Panam where she gives an almost imperceptible half-smile and drops her gaze, or in Rogue’s general haughty facial and body language. It all gives you the impression that these are *real people* or at the very least characters rather than a collection of pixels you have to press Square on before they dispense your next quest objective. 

Like, I actually get why Rogue is such a huge jerk, and you can see her guard soften the more she gets to know you. In other games it would be like “this character is a huge dick but I guess they like me now.” With Rogue it’s not just the words she uses or the change in the voice actor’s delivery but the way she holds herself, looks at you. Maybe I’m imagining it?

For me it should be the new standard for storytelling realism in videogames. Obviously there are games with different forms of storytelling and I’m not suggesting they should all ape C2077 but these interactive cutscenes are something else. In fact for me a weaker moment in the game was where you see V in 3rd person during any of the endings. 

34 minutes ago, Floshenbarnical said:

Like William Gibson dropped acid at a latex fetish rave where Mad Max and Bladerunner were playing on repeat on overhead projectors

Absolutely. This feels very much like exploring Chiba City that I imagined all those years ago in Neuromancer. Is it perfect? hell no. Is it ambitious?  Absolutely... does it nail the feeling of being in a CyberPunk world? Absolutely. 

I just pulled my copy of Neuromancer of my bookshelf. It is a 10th anniversary edition published in 1994(!). Is this book nearly 40 years old? Wow. Think I need to have another read. :)

Does anyone really want a "splash of love" in their drink? ;) 

On a different note, it's great to see a lot of positive reactions in here to the game now (apart from the Stadia version - oh dear!), this is a genuinely great game.

Downloaded the PS5 version last night and played 3-4 hours. My previous save game worked fine when I used the continue option. First impressions kind of summed up this game in a nutshell.

Loading times are a massive difference, from 2 minutes down to maybe 10 seconds to load a save. Graphically the game defaults to performance mode so I kept it on that. My save game was in the desert so it didn't look groundbreakingly better overall, but the framerate and resolution were noticeably much improved. As expected when I loaded the game I was bombarded with text messages and mission updates as the new content and rearranging of questing sorted itself out, but after that all cleared it was fine.

I was at the start of a Panam mission (no spoilers will follow) and immediately I saw some animation juddering as characters were walking. I went into the menu to reassign all my perks (over 40 points so it took a while). The good news is that the menus run great now and have had a slight overhaul. Once I got in the vehicle that Panam drove to our destination, you could see the accompanying cars juddering up and down in a bug-type way when they crossed over different surface types. 30 seconds into the drive, Panam suddenly disappeared and the car drove itself the rest of the way, although I could still hear her muffled voice somewhere as she conversed with V. At least she no longer teleports inside your body like the good old days...

At the destination (after Panam magically appeared inside the car and walked through it), I noticed that small objects on the ground still affect your character collision, making your camera judder around. Hacking animations are still janky. A cutscene transition still had a glitchy pop up. I turned on 3D headphones and tried plugging my earphones into the controller, I didn't notice much change but maybe I need to be in the city (or maybe it doesn't work with the PS5 controller audio?). The following on-rails setpiece worked fine and smoothly. The combat section was short and outdoors so it wasn't a great indicator, but I did notice the enemies moving around more than before. Gun feel and hit feedback on enemies is noticeably better and more satisfying. Loot is still a bit fiddly to pick up with the controller. Another bug surfaced in the mission's conclusion when one of the vehicles we'd been travelling with continued to sound its horn for the duration of the drive back, and also for the entire closing dramatic conversation, ruining the atmosphere.

Not a great first impression and I was pretty annoyed. It's just little issues like this that broke immersion in previous versions, and yet they still persist even now. Thankfully there are tangible improvements elsewhere but the game is still janky.

Anyway, free to roam again, I checked out the map. It's way better now, allowing you to filter by jobs and so on, plus fixers show how many gigs they have left in their chain. I did a few gigs and started a few side missions. I tried out a few of my vehicles. Driving overall is a ton better, with most of the vehicles I tried. It's more responsive, it feels good, it looks more realistic. The adaptive triggers are used well. The mini map is still a bit of an issue when driving but it does seemed more zoomed out than it used to be. I did notice a little extra traffic compared to the last version but not much. I think I'd need to head to the city centre to evaluate it properly. I did notice that civilians seem to more realistically panic and react to you driving near them, which was nice. I ran (literally) into a few minor collision issues but overall driving seems much improved and I didn't see any major issues (which were pretty commonplace before).

More combat during gigs did seem to confirm the enemy AI is a bit smarter. It definitely is a bit more engaging from what I played. For example, in one gig I assaulted a 2 storey building in the desert, with enemies in the courtyard beyond, on the roof and inside. Usually I'd expect at least half of them to come running outside to where I was sniping as soon as the alarm was raised. However a lot of them stayed in defensible positions. Once I got on the roof, some enemies came up to investigate the sentry gun I'd hacked. Even using Cyberpsychosis didn't turn the AI insane (except the victim of course!). Overall it felt like a much more natural combat experience than the usual charging mass of bodies I've come to expect. I did encounter bugs with hacking, taking over CCTV still points the camera vertically sometimes, and I couldn't fire the sentry gun whilst controlling it for some reason. The hacking nerfs are fairly evident, my DOT effects were much less lethal for example.

I only briefly went into the city, and only during the day, so I can't make much more graphical observations. For a sidequest I had to go to Afterlife, which definitely looked a bit better in performance mode. I decided to try Raytracing mode here. It looked stunning... but ran at maybe 5 FPS, incredibly slow and jerky. Totally unplayable. However this is one of the most taxing lighting locations in the game I think, so I should probably try raytracing mode elsewhere.

Another thing to note is that it seems they have done some clothing/armour rebalancing. Almost immediately I found gear that was better than my current stuff - which as you may recall was a golden cowboy hat, goggles and stupid trousers which had been top tier for 10s of hours yet looked ridiculous. But now I'm rocking a much more plausible body armour and helmet with combat shades. Still a shame you can't do transmog though.

Overall it was good to get back into the world with all the improvements, but it's spoiled by frequent jank and immersion-breaking bugs which they still haven't fixed. I know I'm just beating a drum I've banged on earlier in the thread but I find it so frustrating to be constantly yanked out of the game world by the bugs, however minor, it really mars the experience for me even if otherwise I really like the game. But now its in a better state overall I think I'll be continuing to mop up the side quests and enjoying the good things about this game.

4k my arse - The dynamic scaling on the series x is so aggressive in places that it looks lucky enough to be pushing 1080p in some places. In fact at times it looked not much different to pre ‘nextgen’ patch. More bugs too last night including this bizarre thing that was like a rewind in a racing game that brought me back at high speed to a the same place I was in 15 seconds ago and some dreadful collision detection with enemies.

I’m thoroughly enjoying this game through this thread in a Tokimeki Memorial Action Button review meta kind of way, with the stellar cast of the likes of Fallows, Stock, K, Flosh, Stadia Zok et al.

I’ve not actually played it and have avoided videos so I’ve little idea of what’s it’s actually like but from my perspective now it seems both incredibly intriguing and dauntingly laborious and broken.

I’m torn as to get it now or wait for the inevitable super-patched special edition with a 4080ti and continue enjoying the mythos here.

Well, 7 hours or so in on PS5, and this is fucking great. Just got past the

Spoiler

first flashback with Keanu. I’ve been deaded, poured one out for Jackie (sniff), and now I’m back again, having an argument with Silverhand. Loved the whole Arasaka mission, and the breakneck escape.

I don’t think it looks all that great anymore, unlike when it was first revealed to the hyperbolic press, but it easily does the job. The audio is fantastic though, as are the writing and performances. The systems and UI are overcomplicated however, even worse than Witcher 3. Gradually making sense of it all.

Anyway, very impressed so far, if it can keep this up I’ll be delighted.

19 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Reveal hidden contents

first flashback with Keanu. I’ve been deaded, poured one out for Jackie (sniff), and now I’m back again, having an argument with Silverhand. Loved the whole Arasaka mission, and the breakneck escape.

I don’t think it looks all that great anymore, unlike when it was first revealed to the hyperbolic press, but it easily does the job. The audio is fantastic though, as are the writing and performances. The systems and UI are overcomplicated however, even worse than Witcher 3. Gradually making sense of it all.

Spoiler

That whole Arosaka mission is just brilliant. The performances are insane. Like when Jackie sees Adam Smasher. 

The flashback is weird because it gives you a glimpse of what being nails is like, but it feels so far away. The one thing it did do for me, is realise how much I want to become OP, so smashing the side content. To my surprise, it is surprisingly great too. Some really nice side stories (albeit short mind). 

1 hour ago, Meat said:

I’m thoroughly enjoying this game through this thread in a Tokimeki Memorial Action Button review meta kind of way, with the stellar cast of the likes of Fallows, Stock, K, Flosh, Stadia Zok et al.

I’ve not actually played it and have avoided videos so I’ve little idea of what’s it’s actually like but from my perspective now it seems both incredibly intriguing and dauntingly laborious and broken.

I’m torn as to get it now or wait for the inevitable super-patched special edition with a 4080ti and continue enjoying the mythos here.

image.gif.df7736e4647ba7e20cd9c2b815a9e3db.gif

hasn’t really felt broken since the earlier patch tbh. Unbalanced, sure, but a great time all the same. Is it everything we hoped it be, or was promised? Do I prefer it to 99% of the other games I’ve played? Yes. I loved it.

Just get it now if your PC has the chops and mod in all the content you want. 

I’ve reassigned my skill points after the reset. I cant for the life of me remember what they were before but when I was playing this December 2020 I was a walking death machine and now I get gunned down with ease.

Has the AI and enemy damage been updated significantly or have I done something wrong with my skill points? My save is the one just before the final mission/point of no return

9 hours ago, bobontheway said:

I’m so glad that my standards aren’t as high as some of you lot. I’m loving this and have settled on… 30fps mode!

*runs for the hills*

I've looked at the 30fps mode in a couple of places.  Both times I didn't notice a visual difference, other than it being unplayable. 

I'm not saying that to be hyperbolic, I really wondered why they included the mode. I suppose it's me that's changed,  or maybe my tv makes 30fps look bad - I don't know if I've played a game in 30fps since I got it - but looking at Cyberpunk, 30fps seems worse than I remember it being,  I assumed the game was actually limping along at something 20fps.

11 hours ago, jonamok said:

Hide contents

If you loved that mission, the rest of the game should thrill you. ‘Act One’ is actually pretty boring by comparison with other stuff in the game.

1 hour ago, Wahwah* said:

I've looked at the 30fps mode in a couple of places.  Both times I didn't notice a visual difference, other than it being unplayable. 

I'm not saying that to be hyperbolic, I really wondered why they included the mode. I suppose it's me that's changed,  or maybe my tv makes 30fps look bad - I don't know if I've played a game in 30fps since I got it - but looking at Cyberpunk, 30fps seems worse than I remember it being,  I assumed the game was actually limping along at something 20fps.

Key bit in bold. You're used to the smooth solid visuals of 60fps now and it's difficult to go back. I remember the step up from SD to HD being noticeable, but nowhere near as big as going back to SD after getting used to HD. Same with going from VHS to DVD. When you go back it's uuuurgh I don't remember it being this bad

8 hours ago, Fallows said:

Wow... Some people on the Discord are reporting that Trauma Team can potentially turn up to collect civilian casualties. Has anyone seen anything like that yet? I've seen a car chase between the cops and some Tyger Claws.

@Isaac @Meat @spanx It also seems that a lot of the mods I recommended are already receiving updates. I'll put big red UPDATED FOR 1.5 headers next to the entries in my list at some point tomorrow.

Thanks so much Fallows - do you have a link to the post again? 

I thought I had it bookmarked but couldn't find it.

It feels like a year of having a current-gen console has taken the edge off the visuals ever so slightly, but the new update is still very impressive. The rain effect on car windows is stunning, and the number of people on the streets has been jacked up massively - I was walking to meet Evelyn Parker last night, and could barely get through the crowds milling around outside the hospital. It really sells the idea of a city bursting with criminality and excess.

I’d forgotten the weird dress sense of Night City’s population. Most of them seem to use Chris Morris’ drug purchasing outfit as their style guide, with the nappy and the giant head-bulb, but I walked past two men wearing shower caps and white sheets last night who obviously take inspiration from one of the 20th century’s greatest designers:

Spoiler

24959DBD-DF77-45C7-92C1-6FCC33AD83CD.jpeg.cf49e790bbb03e227878fe34916c72fa.jpeg

I'm about to start this, never played before but giving the 5 hour trial a go and if like will just pay the PS5 £20 price. Quick question - I assume there are difficulty levels, which one would you recommend? I like a good challenge and often find Normal difficulty in games these days is too easy and so it loses my attention by mid/end.