IGNORED

Cyberpunk 2077 - PS5 and XSeries versions out now + major patch

Vemsie

I can't really answer your question as I haven't properly played CP yet (waiting for Series X version) but if I remember rightly, Witcher 3 became a lot more fixed after the patch which revamped the UI and fixed a ton of bugs. That came out about a year after launch. It was over 5 years ago now though and I can barely remember my children's names so somebody can probably correct me.

CDPR have said that the next patch coming in Q1 this year (so, nowish) is big and will come with the next gen update as well as 'system level improvements' for 'systems that are general to the game'. No idea what that means, could be a rebalance of skills or a UI overhaul or whatever, who knows. You'd really hope that the delay to the update is mainly due to some big changes as well as them wanting to test the ever-loving shit out of it. They can't really afford afford another catastrophic release of anything.

It is full of issues!

The issue of taking up a lot of my time. The issue of making other open world games seem kinda bland without all that neon grimy detail. The issue of a genuinely compelling gameplay loop of go here /fight enemies/loot but with CD Project level narrative attached which still beats a lot of other mainstream devs.

10 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

:lol:

I must have misunderstood all the negative press about this game, then. Silly me! 

You require one opinion only, and that’s mine.

12 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Bought!

(not really, waiting on either a 3080 or series x patch) 

As you should. It's a shame management decided to also market it for release on last-gen hardware, especially when The Witcher III can barely scrape by on it.

Instead of being known as a botched PS4 job it could have been touted as ray tracing's first killer app. I believe it runs quite well on a Series X, but really, it should have exclusively been a next-gen game and they should have let people know as much since the 2018 unveiling.

With regards to my current playthrough I might have to start again. I just realised that in clearing Watson before The Heist main quest that I've denied myself an entire district's worth of quirky Johnny Silverhands dialogue where he pops up during the side quests. :doh: I dunno, I might just carry on and then remember that for my next run. It's no secret that I'm not a fan of story/dialogue in games, but with CDPR I enjoy it just enough for it to be a draw. I also find it really fascinating that they got Keanu Reeves to give his 2c for the very smallest of side quest. It just adds more weight to them. They might be mere side quests, but they're made to feel integral and important.

23 hours ago, ZOK said:

Being the Game of the Decade qualifies as ‘full of issues’ now? Blimey!

mate

come on mate

the enemy scaling etc is notoriously poor. there are broken perks that don't do anything. environmental explosives i.e. gas canisters do a default 500 damage regardless of the HP of the enemies attacking you so at higher levels they don't even scratch them. You can fall down stepping off a curb and die if your HP is low enough. Sometimes my car refuses to move at all until I blow it up and summon it again. Sometimes vehicles will freeze floating in midair following a jump, allowing you to get out and climb on top of them. "The Police" doesn't work. Sometimes you get a wanted level for just existing. Sometimes your weapons stop doing damage until you reload a save.

Top five GOAT for me but still. All of these issues existed as recently as a month ago, which is when I last played.

1 hour ago, Floshenbarnical said:

mate

come on mate

the enemy scaling etc is notoriously poor. there are broken perks that don't do anything. environmental explosives i.e. gas canisters do a default 500 damage regardless of the HP of the enemies attacking you so at higher levels they don't even scratch them. You can fall down stepping off a curb and die if your HP is low enough. Sometimes my car refuses to move at all until I blow it up and summon it again. Sometimes vehicles will freeze floating in midair following a jump, allowing you to get out and climb on top of them. "The Police" doesn't work. Sometimes you get a wanted level for just existing. Sometimes your weapons stop doing damage until you reload a save.

Top five GOAT for me but still. All of these issues existed as recently as a month ago, which is when I last played.

Mate, get a Stadia, that just sounds ridiculous.

I've hit a "point of no return" in the main plot line already. Surprised how quickly I got there tbh. Anyway, I decided to decline the quest in order to finish up other stuff first. I think I've done all the side character quests anyway, apart from some Silverhand stuff that I'm going through. Is there a lot of game after the point of no return? And can you go back to the open world city after the end? If not, I'll just make sure I have a save before that point.

1 hour ago, Monkeyboy said:

I've hit a "point of no return" in the main plot line already. Surprised how quickly I got there tbh. Anyway, I decided to decline the quest in order to finish up other stuff first. I think I've done all the side character quests anyway, apart from some Silverhand stuff that I'm going through. Is there a lot of game after the point of no return? And can you go back to the open world city after the end? If not, I'll just make sure I have a save before that point.

It depends, there can be a fair bit on some branches to the end. It deposits you back at the point before the point of no return after every ending so you can do other stuff.

You'll get very used to the phrase "Meet Hanako At Embers"

4 hours ago, ZOK said:

Mate, get a Stadia, that just sounds ridiculous.

make me. I still love the game, I’m not bashing it, but to say that there aren’t any stupid issues is silly. Most of the ones I mentioned are also on PC!

2 hours ago, Festoon said:

It depends, there can be a fair bit on some branches to the end. It deposits you back at the point before the point of no return after every ending so you can do other stuff.

You'll get very used to the phrase "Meet Hanako At Embers"

I personally would do all the “main” side quests and then skip a few days for branches to open up, and then repeat until you get radio silence

for me it was “meet takemura”, poor fucking guy. 

1 hour ago, Doctor Shark said:

That’s hilarious. It’s like CRPR doubled down on the meme of Geralt not being able to drop 3 ft without injury in Witcher 3. 

Which reminds me of the ongoing saga of Geralt and his ability to only to walk down stairs without tumbling about one out of ten times.

For someone who's skilled at killing monsters and casting fire to light candles, he's definitely got mobility issues and probably should seek medical advice.

5 hours ago, Floshenbarnical said:

make me. I still love the game, I’m not bashing it, but to say that there aren’t any stupid issues is silly. Most of the ones I mentioned are also on PC!

It just seems the obvious thing to do. I’ve never seen that happen in 193+ hours of gameplay - I don’t know the current pricing but before Christmas you could have bought Stadia Premiere and Cyberpunk for £50 all in (that’s for system, controller and game) but you are still playing it on the worst and most broken version. In fact some smart TVs like LG now have the Stadia app, so you don’t even need Stadia ‘physical’ if you have a compatible controller.

Internet speeds allowing of course…you need to be able to get 20mb download if you want 4K but that’s the only real hurdle.

See this next gen patch - why does it take so long? 

Does it normally take so long to change the settings to PC Medium and ship the patch? 

I'm being silly but... What is the hold up? I can't imagine it's stupendously difficult to do on these current machines, is it?

23 minutes ago, JoeK said:

Which reminds me of the ongoing saga of Geralt and his ability to only to walk down stairs without tumbling about one out of ten times.

For someone who's skilled at killing monsters and casting fire to light candles, he's definitely got mobility issues and probably should seek medical advice.

Over 300 hours in Witcher 3 and I can honestly say this never happened to me but it's funny nonetheless :lol:

8 minutes ago, Simmy said:

See this next gen patch - why does it take so long? 

Does it normally take so long to change the settings to PC Medium and ship the patch? 

I'm being silly but... What is the hold up? I can't imagine it's stupendously difficult to do on these current machines, is it?

My guess is that it's not just a "next-gen" patch with a few settings turned up. But also a "let's actually finish this game" patch and going by precedent also a "let's add a shit ton of new stuff and change a bunch of existing stuff" patch. Maybe because of the bad reception also a "relaunch let's try and win back goodwill" patch.

All of that combined with COVID.

It's been ready to ship since November, if some sources are to be believed.

Some very interesting tidbits in there. The dude who made the FGR overhaul (too much of an overhaul for me, hence my carefully curated list) wrote a huge 70+ page report on everything wrong with the game for CDPR, and it seems like they want to make sure everything's fixed.

Funnily enough I'd only heard about a lot of those bugs a couple days ago. As someone watching from the sidelines I was aware of the obvious stuff like police being crap, but things like the scaling around certain damage types (or lack thereof), abilities and enemies especially (iirc the actual numbers have you out-hp'd at later levels by tens of thousands of points) seem so broken that I can only assume someone put a decimal in the wrong place and never noticed.

That said, the fact that so many of those kinds of oversights are due to something seemingly straightforward seems to be one reason why so many mods have been able to iron them out. Now, new implementations of systems (like police) is one thing but what interests me about the bigger dev updates on the horizon is how well they integrate with mods. Sure, most patches for games result in mods needing to do a quick compatibility update, that's fine, but most games have less need/scope for massively rejigging the underlying mechanics than cp77 might. Just think it'd be funny (not funny) if their efforts to fix it ended up causing more problems when you look at the overall player experience.

Yes, I think there’s a lot of potential for that. The police thing is an odd one for example, I don’t even think of them as being part of the game - I just don’t do stuff that would attract an interaction with them. If I accidentally hurt a pedestrian for example I just run off so the alert is finished in a few seconds.

’Fixing’ the cops so they are somehow more realistic and relevant to the game would make it seem quite different to the one I’ve been playing so far. Wouldn’t necessarily be worse, but it might feel like it.

1 hour ago, ZOK said:

Yes, I think there’s a lot of potential for that. The police thing is an odd one for example, I don’t even think of them as being part of the game - I just don’t do stuff that would attract an interaction with them. If I accidentally hurt a pedestrian for example I just run off so the alert is finished in a few seconds.

’Fixing’ the cops so they are somehow more realistic and relevant to the game would make it seem quite different to the one I’ve been playing so far. Wouldn’t necessarily be worse, but it might feel like it.

I was on with clearing an NCPD scanner hustle the other night when a couple of cowering pedestrians got whacked by my grenade (remember that one-time hand wave gesture you can do on the old lady during that first rescue mission with Jackie? Why can't we do that to pedestrians that're otherwise too afraid to move?). I ended up with one star of heat which triggered a cop to join the firefight around a minute later. I've turned auto-saves off, and it'd been a while since my last save so there's no chance I'm reverting my progress just for good game karma which only exists within my roleplaying head. I had to defend myself against the cop, so role'd with that as best as I could and took care of them in a non-lethal fashion, however this of course is futile and generated even more heat... There's a drone on me now when both a cop car AND cop on bike arrive. I flashbang the fuckers two or three times just to be sure and make a rip for the police car as there's no chance I'm not going to die there. I get to the car with 10% health and speed off, knocking both cops over the top. I'm on four stars now with another police car, or might have been a van, in pursuit. I did try to check by panning my camera around, but with the driving mods I have installed most cars oversteer just like they do in 70s car chase movie scenes. So yeah, I'm briefly not looking where I'm going and I lose control as I hit a huge hump in the road or something, I'm not sure what it was but I end up barrel-rolling mid-air and crashing into a bunch of destructible roadworks scenery. I'm upside-down and stuck in the car because fuck-knows... the door can't open perhaps because I'm jammed in. Switching to third-person confirms I'm a bit screwed. The cops catch up and hit the back of my overturned car, making space for me to finally get out and do one. I flashbang after taking a few bullets and take a hit on the old inhaler to get my health back before legging it up the nearby bridge, but eventually I'm out of stamina. I can't run, and I certainly can't fight, so I have no choice but to jump off the side of the bridge and into the water out of sight. After a few moments which actually felt like forever the cops give up and all my stars have cleared. I'm now drowning because I can't swim with no stamina. I try making it to the shoreline, but it's just that little bit too far.

I drown.

Despite losing around one hour of game progress I think that was the most fun I've had with video game police mans since the early days of GTAIII, when me and my friends would get shit-faced and take turns to see just how much carnage we could wreak before being put down.

This game would benefit massively from a police pursuit system.