Cyberpunk 2077 - PS5 and XSeries versions out now + major patch

Vemsie

12 minutes ago, MK-1601 said:

but there ARE some factories. workshops, mansions, drug labs etc. that are fully modelled and populated and are worth breaking in to of your own volition

Cool! What kind of stuff can you obtain this way? 

6 minutes ago, MK-1601 said:

Robdood was saying it would be cool if you could do that - you can't, really, but it comes closer than most open world games in terms of having just absurd amounts of stuff built beyond a facade.

Ah ok, I read it a few times but couldn’t follow, sorry

4 hours ago, layten said:

Finally going to get into this proper over Christmas, after having it in my Steam library since day one. Given all the hoo ha at launch I thought it best to let CDPR bang out a good amount of patches.

Should run and look alright with my recent upgrades as well. :) 

It will be the best looking game you have ever played.

On a decent PC setup it is just astonishing. Nothing else out comes anywhere near.

9 hours ago, robdood said:

Cool! What kind of stuff can you obtain this way? 

Well it’s the same stuff you obtain everywhere else, which even at the legendary / iconic level is functionally meaningless.

What you always get though, and one of the key reasons to care about this stuff, is a better insight into the C2077 world. As an example, I came across an abandoned drive in cinema on my mooches which I don’t think features in a side mission (at least none I’ve done yet), and from memory, reading the stuff lying around tells the story of the closure (or something like that, it was ages ago I explored it).

These are the only real benefits to exploring, and they either interest you or they don’t.

14 hours ago, robdood said:

I was personally hoping for an open world immersive sim (and it was kinda marketed that way to my eyes)

I mean this is explicitly what the game is, right? It's literally Mankind Divided in an open world, they even have the "social battles" like that side mission where you get caught sneaking around and have to talk down the guy.

All this stuff just comes off that people have heard that the game is crap and have to keep up that narrative, but there was never an explanation why it was crap or a disappointment, so you've got people scrabbling around saying it's the worst thing ever because you can't buy coffee, or go in every building, or can't look up something on a billboard and do some incredibly arcane thing that rewards you with unique content, even though no other game does those things either.

This is another thing about the game - it’s precisely because the world is so immersive and ‘real’ in many ways, that the stuff that isn’t sticks out like a sore thumb.

I’ve wanged on about it before, but the voice acting and dialogue of NPCs is a real immersion killer. There are a million visibly different people in this world, but 25% of the time if you talk to a black woman npc it is going to prompt the exact same voice actor to say ‘what’s up in the big world’. A white woman npc will say ‘I’m waiting for a friend’ with much the same frequency. It’s obviously not possible to make you forget you are playing a game, but there are some things that are particular clangers.

I get around that by just not talking to NPCs, which if anything just helps the immersion. It's not like I wander around London striking up conversations with strangers who walk past me, and I would probably do the same thing if I lived in Night City.

I talk to people all the time in Night City…usually in the vain hope they will say something interesting.

And sometimes that does happen, for example the person at the rave who tells you that no-one knows they are an android and they are trying to keep it a secret…

1 hour ago, ZOK said:

Well it’s the same stuff you obtain everywhere else, which even at the legendary / iconic level is functionally meaningless.

What you always get though, and one of the key reasons to care about this stuff, is a better insight into the C2077 world. As an example, I came across an abandoned drive in cinema on my mooches which I don’t think features in a side mission (at least none I’ve done yet), and from memory, reading the stuff lying around tells the story of the closure (or something like that, it was ages ago I explored it).

These are the only real benefits to exploring, and they either interest you or they don’t.

Those things do sound interesting - I just found the rest of the stuff, like the functionally meaningless gear you allude to, and the incessant phone calls etc a bit distracting, and pull me out of the experience more than anything. 

1 hour ago, RubberJohnny said:

I mean this is explicitly what the game is, right? It's literally Mankind Divided in an open world, they even have the "social battles" like that side mission where you get caught sneaking around and have to talk down the guy.

All this stuff just comes off that people have heard that the game is crap and have to keep up that narrative, but there was never an explanation why it was crap or a disappointment, so you've got people scrabbling around saying it's the worst thing ever because you can't buy coffee, or go in every building, or can't look up something on a billboard and do some incredibly arcane thing that rewards you with unique content, even though no other game does those things either.

Sigh. I don't like engaging with you because you post in this manner, but it's ok for me to talk about the game the way I do without you being some kind of arbiter of what's allowed, or even telling me why I think the things I do.  (keep up the narrative, fucking lol)

I'm not sure exactly why I disengaged with Cyberpunk, but having played both it and Deus Ex, something kept me going through DE but I stopped CP not long after the Act 1 heist in CP.   I found Cyberpunks combat systems are woefully meagre and unimpressive compared to DE, for one. 

I don't think it's particularly wild to want more from something, either.  I just wish CP hadn't been so cluttered with pickups and junk, because it actively put me off exploring for exploring's sake once I realised you just keep finding the same shit everywhere. 

As I said in another thread, I kinda wish CP had been a visual novel or something, as I just found the rest of what you do uninspired/boring. 

That's not keeping up a narrative, it's just my experience.  For what it's worth, it feels like the same reasons I didn't finish Witcher 3, or any Rockstar game since Vice City! 

As others have said, in the real world I don't walk into every building, talk to random people on the street and get bothered all day with phone calls from people trying to get me to do shit. I'm not trying to excuse Cyberpunk for any gameplay failings, of which is has some, but this just sounds like the game equivalent of picking at a hole in a jumper then complaining it's getting bigger. 

I thought the combat system was fine too. I never really had an issue with turning into a mantis armed, double jumping monster who would fuck up people with a pistol that could set them on fire. My son played the entire thing never even throwing a grenade or taking a weapon other than a non-lethal sniper rifle and hacking his way through it. I would hurl a grenade at someone if they looked at me funny. It just felt like the game said "have fun" to me, rather than the developers had failed in any way. 

I liked the clutter of junk, and stuff to do. I'm glad it wasn't a visual novel. I'm not sure how much I can realistically demand for a game developed on today's tech over such a long time period. I'm glad it exists in its current form and enjoy it immensely. Nobody is gatekeeping people or telling people what to think, but challenging the general vibe that quite a lot of people seem to have higher expectations on this product than they do for other games and asking them to justify that. 

3 hours ago, ZOK said:

keep playing

On 30/11/2021 at 12:58, JoeK said:

I think if a world's convincing, I'd argue that wandering around in it is just as pleasant an experience than actual gameplay. 

Hell, I spent hours upon hours walking around Skyrim with that music on.

As a sight-seeing tour, Cyberpunk is right up there - the amount of detail in the city is pretty astonishing. 

Now, I don't think that's enough for the long-term, but it definitely helps I guess.

I have my balls blown clean off each and every time I fire the game up. This was my 'killer app launch title' for my new RTX card last year, and the novelty still hasn't worn off. Raytracing is like a modern day glasses-free 3DS moment, for me at least.

I too was a RT nay-sayer after that early Battlefield footage of it chugging along at 20FPS. I don't think I've ever experienced such a 180 in personal opinion before.

18 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Haha, I suspected as much! I’ve done like 95% of the side missions, that must still be on my map waiting to be ticked off.

You can’t do it unless you’ve made a phone call, which requires that you’ve done a different side mission, which requires that you’ve reached a certain point in the story. 

2 minutes ago, Floshenbarnical said:

You can’t do it unless you’ve made a phone call, which requires that you’ve done a different side mission, which requires that you’ve reached a certain point in the story. 

Cool, I’ll see if I can’t trigger it this weekend, I’m bang up for a map clearance session, I’m sure it will be buried somewhere in my availables.

1 hour ago, Haribokart said:

08e9d71948a7b8167abb45adb55c88e9.gif

tbh sounds like something I would have said back in my paranoid drug days

can I just add that I played this last night for 3 hours and I had an absolutely glorious time. I would definitely recommend waiting for current-gen update for anyone who hasn’t played it yet, as the traffic and pedestrian paucity is jarring in a city the size of Manhattan that is supposedly populated by 7 million. Plus maybe they will have fixed hair clipping through various jackets, which drives me round the bend. 

I went full circle from being hyped to cancelling my order of this once the glitchy ass videos of the launch version were released back around to being excited to buy the shit out of it once the 'proper' PS5 update is released, 99% thanks to Flosh & Zok.

Also, someone make detective Noir game 'Flosh and Zok' please. They might complain about pedestrian density while solving crimes but they get the job done, damnit.

1 hour ago, JoeK said:

i want to know what the lady with glasses has been doing. Her face is filthy!

Dirty bird.

Severe facial scarring as a result of surviving the outbreak of the zoonotic disease Rat Fever that occurred widely across Night City in 2072.

17 hours ago, Floshenbarnical said:

can I just add that I played this last night for 3 hours and I had an absolutely glorious time. I would definitely recommend waiting for current-gen update for anyone who hasn’t played it yet, as the traffic and pedestrian paucity is jarring in a city the size of Manhattan that is supposedly populated by 7 million. Plus maybe they will have fixed hair clipping through various jackets, which drives me round the bend. 

It’s a bit weird on Stadia (which I guess is some sort of PC version), there are shed loads of pedestrians and always have been, but the number of cars seems to have been drastically reduced - but only in some areas. It’s either thronged or deserted depending on what part of the map you are in.

12 minutes ago, ZOK said:

It’s a bit weird on Stadia (which I guess is some sort of PC version), there are shed loads of pedestrians and always have been, but the number of cars seems to have been drastically reduced - but only in some areas. It’s either thronged or deserted depending on what part of the map you are in.

I had two cars on the same screen yesterday, I almost dropped my controller out of shock 

5 minutes ago, PaB said:

I picked this up a few weeks ago and only

put a few hours in to it . But it’s pretty overwhelming. I feel a a bit like I have no idea what I am doing . I’m sure I’ll get the hang of it though 

As soon as you’re allowed to do side quests and NCPD Scanner hustles, do a bunch. It will give you an idea of how you like to play and what to specialize in. If you specialize in a couple of different things you become unstoppable, if you become a jack of all trades you will be much less capable. There is no point, for instance, carrying an LMG if you have invested no points into Annihilation. Critical Chance & Damage is the best way to go for maximum output

I can't believe I've been playing this for a year or so and only yesterday did I hear this banger from Run The Jewels over one of the car stereos...comes with a proper C2077 video too:

Although you can imagine my surprise and disappointment to find that the first line is 'I swallow all my drugs 'til the pain is unplugged', rather than 'I swallow all my drugs 'til my penis unplugs' as I had heard it, which I think we can all agree is a much better line altogether.