Jump to content
IGNORED

Cyberpunk 2077 - PS5 and XSeries versions out now + major patch


Vemsie
 Share

Recommended Posts

Did anyone ever play any of the GTA games unless they were actually forced to (ie bowling, pool etc)…they were all garbage weren’t they?

 

The last one I played was 4 so they may be brilliant in the last two iterations, but they seemed entirely superfluous at the time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would quite like there to be more inconsequential side stuff in Cyberpunk. I enjoy a bit of mild role-playing in games like this, so that after a long mission in CP2077 I'll have my character go home to sleep - not because it's necessary, but because it feels like something he would do. I'd love it if you could do more things like that, i.e. buy a coffee, sit on a park bench, sit down in a bar and have a drink to unwind and think about my tokyo game life career as an edgerunner. It's the little details that bring games like this to life for me, like putting my gun away and stepping into a shop doorway on my way out of a building where I've just clipped someone, or trying to walk nonchalantly away as if someone is following me. Or parking my car somewhere that facilitates a quick getaway, rather than just leaving it wherever. 

 

I get why it's not in there, and it's not like there isn't loads to do, but those kinds of minutiae can be surprisingly effective in terms of mood-setting and immersion. For me, anyway. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, K said:

I would quite like there to be more inconsequential side stuff in Cyberpunk. I enjoy a bit of mild role-playing in games like this, so that after a long mission in CP2077 I'll have my character go home to sleep - not because it's necessary, but because it feels like something he would do. I'd love it if you could do more things like that, i.e. buy a coffee, sit on a park bench, sit down in a bar and have a drink to unwind and think about my tokyo game life career as an edgerunner. It's the little details that bring games like this to life for me, like putting my gun away and stepping into a shop doorway on my way out of a building where I've just clipped someone, or trying to walk nonchalantly away as if someone is following me. Or parking my car somewhere that facilitates a quick getaway, rather than just leaving it wherever. 

 

I get why it's not in there, and it's not like there isn't loads to do, but those kinds of minutiae can be surprisingly effective in terms of mood-setting and immersion. For me, anyway. 


This is what I’m talking about. More narrative meat is important, especially in a way that’s delivered more meaningfully than a conversation transcript found on a corpse or in a rucksack, but the “little things” are little things that make me feel more invested in aforementioned narrative meat. I guess it makes you feel like you have more to lose, because presently all you have to lose is the ability to keep killing people and buying motorcycles. Maybe it’s a limitation of the medium, but it kind of sucks for instance that once you’re done with Judy’s romance thread all you can do from that point is go say hi and listen to the same lines of dialogue. Kind of like Garrus Vakarian’s interminable calibrations. 
 

Perhaps it’s also related to the whistle-stop-tour pacing of the main quest. It’s a great plot and premise, but it doesn’t give itself any room to breathe.

 

And maybe I’m a lame cheesy fanboy but it would be sick to call up my boy River and go tear up El Coyote Cojo. My favorite moments in the game are the slower moments, like the investigative Peralez quests. Would have been nice to play some of the 6 months of hijinks that takes place with Jackie after the prologue too. We all know there’s a ton of content that’s either been cut, is unfinished, or is waiting to be released, as evidenced by the fact that there are vast areas of the map you can’t even access, eg Arasaka docks

 

ive lost sight of what I was trying to get at but hey, I’m no tim Rogers, buddy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Did anyone ever play any of the GTA games unless they were actually forced to (ie bowling, pool etc)…they were all garbage weren’t they?

 

Not so much GTA... but I occasionally played Yakuza's minigames during Like A Dragon as a bit of a break from core missions. :blush: Usually things like the card games and darts, rather than the Sega cabinets. However, the arena you unlock pretty much takes over your "downtime" later in the game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did, kinda, expect GTA in the future. Which was probably a mistake, but the game has warmed on me and now I love running around the city, getting into fights and finding oddities. The thing that is missing for me is a bit more reaction from the NPCs (and a few more NPCs...). Like in GTA you might bump someone and they'll square up for a fight, and then I'll either laugh and walk away or give them a pasting, steal a car, smash into a police car, get 4 stars and then try to escape - with choppers whirring overhead and swat vans belting up and down. Same goes for RDR2, similar thing, accidently run over someone with your horse, they start shooting and suddenly the next twenty minutes is a totally emergent cops and robbers chase through Saint Denis...

 

I really like the game, the narratives are great (albeit bleak as fuck most of the time - did anybody else talk that ex-marine who nicked the meds out of making a bomb?), but it does feel a little empty - there are more cars on the street in Burnout Paradise - and no bikes at all. It actually reminds me more of Sleeping Dogs than GTA, but even that had a better police system than this. Nah, it's a flawed gem, for sure. I love it, but there are so many little things I'd like them to improve.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Danster said:

I did, kinda, expect GTA in the future. Which was probably a mistake, but the game has warmed on me and now I love running around the city, getting into fights and finding oddities. The thing that is missing for me is a bit more reaction from the NPCs (and a few more NPCs...). Like in GTA you might bump someone and they'll square up for a fight, and then I'll either laugh and walk away or give them a pasting, steal a car, smash into a police car, get 4 stars and then try to escape - with choppers whirring overhead and swat vans belting up and down. Same goes for RDR2, similar thing, accidently run over someone with your horse, they start shooting and suddenly the next twenty minutes is a totally emergent cops and robbers chase through Saint Denis...

 

I really like the game, the narratives are great (albeit bleak as fuck most of the time - did anybody else talk that ex-marine who nicked the meds out of making a bomb?), but it does feel a little empty - there are more cars on the street in Burnout Paradise - and no bikes at all. It actually reminds me more of Sleeping Dogs than GTA, but even that had a better police system than this. Nah, it's a flawed gem, for sure. I love it, but there are so many little things I'd like them to improve.

 

Sorry to keep blowing up the thread but I think you've hit a nail on the head. There's not much emergent gameplay in this and there are no repercussions for any of your open world actions, either. Other than the occasional tiny missable bonus there aren't any drawbacks or advantages to going in guns blazing, or quietly sneaking by everyone and not hurting anyone. Maelstrom doesn't put a bounty on you if you loudly murder every borg in Northside and leave a bunch of witnesses, for instance.

 

Still amazing though, I played it for three hours last night. Once this playthrough is done, I'll wait until updates are out and then do it all over again. I'm even thinking about building a PC so I can experience it in its full ray-tracing, modded glory.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, JoeK said:

 

I think if a world's convincing, I'd argue that wandering around in it is just as pleasant an experience than actual gameplay. 

 

Hell, I spent hours upon hours walking around Skyrim with that music on.

 

As a sight-seeing tour, Cyberpunk is right up there - the amount of detail in the city is pretty astonishing. 

 

Now, I don't think that's enough for the long-term, but it definitely helps I guess.

 

5 hours ago, ZOK said:


I guess it depends what you think is ‘nothing to do’. Aside from all the game stuff there is to do, I get genuine pleasure from checking out the unbelievable diversity of people and fashion that you see. It still amazes me that everyone in that world seems to be a separately crafted individual, with new people in the crowd cropping up all the time. Of course, when you see someone new you’ll often turn a corner and their other three identical quadruplets will be working the market stalls, or having a drink and a fag together, but hey ho.

 

And just wandering the streets in this is a pure joy. If you don’t find that world fascinating then of course it’s nothing, but if you do, it’s everything.

 

Don't get me wrong I do like wandering and seeing all the detail in the world, take in the atmosphere. I just find it slightly immersion-breaking that you're effectively just a ghostly presence there that can only observe and can't interact. In Skyrim your sauntering led to a town in which you could gain access to every door and engage in business with every vendor, possibly gathering a side quest in the process.

 

5 hours ago, Thor said:

I think Chad (and I reckon many others) was expecting GTA in a Cyberpunk wrapper. 

 

Not really, I don't expect to be able to play tennis or such twaddle, it'd just be more interesting if you could do more than just walk around.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Uzi said:

There are more interesting things to do in Cyberpunk than GTA


I dunno. In gta you have flight school, a longer campaign, post-game content eg the whole scuba thing, hunting, vehicle modification, eXtReMe sports, triathlons, there’s a lot of content that doesn’t just involve violence. I know there’s races in cyberpunk but they’re poor (try looking behind you a few times in rapid succession).

 

I was just reading lore and it turns out Pacifica is such a shithole because the city pulled funding to fight the Unification War. I also found out that the nuke which destroys Arasaka Tower is apparently not the same bomb that Silverhand detonates. Militech went in 7 years after him and essentially leveled all of corpo plaza, and President Kress (ex-Militech CEO) used the event to expel Arasaka from the USA. Arasaka didn’t return until the end of the Unification War when Mayor Rhyne (RIP) begged them for help as NUSA troops appeared at the southern border, which is when Arasaka sent in the aircraft carrier and ended the war. 
 

I just spent the entire workday reading lore, it’s so rich and fascinating. And I got paid to do it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Uzi said:

There are more interesting things to do in Cyberpunk than GTA

Outside of dialogue choices mid mission though? 

 

Maybe people really liked selling / recycling junk items. :P 

 

(to be fair, I'm devil's advocating because I only played about 8 hours before giving up - I'm genuinely curious at to what people found interesting in the game)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, robdood said:

Outside of dialogue choices mid mission though? 

 

Maybe people really liked selling / recycling junk items. :P 

 

(to be fair, I'm devil's advocating because I only played about 8 hours before giving up - I'm genuinely curious at to what people found interesting in the game)

The missions themselves are more than interesting enough. Just like outside of the missions and quests in the Witcher 3 I didn't enjoy anything else (other than Gwent duh). It's not like W3 combat or the horse traversal is grade A fun is it?

 

I'm more mocking the comparison because its a dumb lazy one to make. It's like someone coming in and saying they prefer GTA to Fallout New Vegas. Well yeah no shit they couldn't be further apart aside from being open world but I know which would I would enjoy the missions and writing more in despite the jank. The completely missable side mission which is one out of 100 that I just described is burned in me more than any GTA mission I can think of. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Floshenbarnical said:


I dunno. In gta you have flight school, a longer campaign, post-game content eg the whole scuba thing, hunting, vehicle modification, eXtReMe sports, triathlons, there’s a lot of content that doesn’t just involve violence. I know there’s races in cyberpunk but they’re poor (try looking behind you a few times in rapid succession).

 

None of that shit interests me though. Shallow mini game nonsense. By that logic Yakuza shits all over GTA - the mini games there are way more involved. On the DS you could buy the 52 games in one remember! 

 

The loop in Cyberpunk just hit it for me. On my bike going somewhere - one of my buddy fixers calling me up and me wondering "where will this job take me" and the moment it's done fucking Judy telling me to hit her up to help her change an empire/River telling me to investigate some family shit/Pam wanting to wham bam up a rival. Fuck yeah boi.

 

Can stick a scuba flight school extreme sport jogging yoga nonsense up an arse all day - I want hundreds of hours of the above loop. GIVE ME INTERESTING MEAT - NO JUNK 4 ME

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Uzi said:

The missions themselves are more than interesting enough. Just like outside of the missions and quests in the Witcher 3 I didn't enjoy anything else (other than Gwent duh). It's not like W3 combat or the horse traversal is grade A fun is it?

 

I'm more mocking the comparison because its a dumb lazy one to make. It's like someone coming in and saying they prefer GTA to Fallout New Vegas. Well yeah no shit they couldn't be further apart aside from being open world but I know which would I would enjoy the missions and writing more in despite the jank. The completely missable side mission which is one out of 100 that I just described is burned in me more than any GTA mission I can think of. 

All makes sense, but at the same time makes me wonder why bother making it open world then?

 

Its a loaded term that comes with its own expectations, yanno?  

 

The guff is what put me off tbh. I'd probably have stuck with it if it was more focused on the good bits (ie stories and choices) and ditched the fluff. 

 

And I guess what also irks is they could've done some cool stuff with exploring, Eg, say you see an ad on a billboard for some mad cool cyberware. You use in game Internet to find the manufacturer office / factory, break in and steal some totally amazing, one-off equipment. All of this would be free form and not a "quest" you follow. (that fucking perma quest marker..!). Instead every baddie you kill drops so much loot, it was bit loot overload. A weird choice imo. 

 

I was personally hoping for an open world immersive sim (and it was kinda marketed that way to my eyes) with more of an emphasis on discovery. It just felt like I was constantly being bombarded with new quests and sub quests and people constantly phoning me. 

 

I guess ultimately the game felt a bit schizophrenic to me, like they made an amazing city and had a bunch of cool lore and characters but the didn't really know what they wanted to do with it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, robdood said:

 

I guess ultimately the game felt a bit schizophrenic to me, like they made an amazing city and had a bunch of cool lore and characters but the didn't really know what they wanted to do with it. 

 

I think this is pretty much the case, to be honest. I'm not sure if the developers knew whether they were making an RPG or GTA either, so they stuck in bits of both.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Uzi said:

None of that shit interests me though. Shallow mini game nonsense. By that logic Yakuza shits all over GTA - the mini games there are way more involved. On the DS you could buy the 52 games in one remember! 

 

The loop in Cyberpunk just hit it for me. On my bike going somewhere - one of my buddy fixers calling me up and me wondering "where will this job take me" and the moment it's done fucking Judy telling me to hit her up to help her change an empire/River telling me to investigate some family shit/Pam wanting to wham bam up a rival. Fuck yeah boi.

 

Can stick a scuba flight school extreme sport jogging yoga nonsense up an arse all day - I want hundreds of hours of the above loop. GIVE ME INTERESTING MEAT - NO JUNK 4 ME


I don’t want junk either, and I certainly don’t want to *have* to keep going bowling with my cousin, I just want the option of doing something like that if I want. You create all these beautiful relationships, but after the conclusion of their mission thread they’re just like “Cool, swing by sometime so I can repeat the same few lines over and over.”

 

The lack of interaction with the environment other than as a climbing frame or gunplay arena makes me wonder what the point is. What’s the point in creating this enormous world if you can’t do anything in it? Could’ve just made it a linear series of self-contained levels like Hitman, or Mass Effect 2 for instance. It would probably have been a lot easier!
 

And maybe GTA is a bad comparison, because they haven’t changed or innovated much since San Andreas. What about the Saints Row series? Yes, they’re absurdist and bombastic but those games are 99% weird side content, and the side content is awesome. Stillwater & Steelport are shitty game worlds, but it doesn’t matter because they’re packed full of so much fun stuff to do. 

 

2 hours ago, robdood said:

All makes sense, but at the same time makes me wonder why bother making it open world then?

 

Its a loaded term that comes with its own expectations, yanno?  

 

The guff is what put me off tbh. I'd probably have stuck with it if it was more focused on the good bits (ie stories and choices) and ditched the fluff. 

 

And I guess what also irks is they could've done some cool stuff with exploring, Eg, say you see an ad on a billboard for some mad cool cyberware. You use in game Internet to find the manufacturer office / factory, break in and steal some totally amazing, one-off equipment. All of this would be free form and not a "quest" you follow. (that fucking perma quest marker..!). Instead every baddie you kill drops so much loot, it was bit loot overload. A weird choice imo. 

 

I was personally hoping for an open world immersive sim (and it was kinda marketed that way to my eyes) with more of an emphasis on discovery. It just felt like I was constantly being bombarded with new quests and sub quests and people constantly phoning me. 

 

I guess ultimately the game felt a bit schizophrenic to me, like they made an amazing city and had a bunch of cool lore and characters but the didn't really know what they wanted to do with it. 


It feels simultaneously like they had too few and also too many people working on it. Too few core members to implement with skill the features that I assume kept creeping in, and too many people to run the project cohesively and in an organized fashion. Many aspects of the game are polished to a mirror sheen while others feel unfinished. 
 

Anyway I have to go on and hang out with Kerry Eurodyne for a few hours, see ya. I have enjoyed everyone’s opinions about this game today, even the ones that are wrong. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, robdood said:

All makes sense, but at the same time makes me wonder why bother making it open world then?

 

Its a loaded term that comes with its own expectations, yanno?  

 

The guff is what put me off tbh. I'd probably have stuck with it if it was more focused on the good bits (ie stories and choices) and ditched the fluff. 

 

And I guess what also irks is they could've done some cool stuff with exploring, Eg, say you see an ad on a billboard for some mad cool cyberware. You use in game Internet to find the manufacturer office / factory, break in and steal some totally amazing, one-off equipment. All of this would be free form and not a "quest" you follow. (that fucking perma quest marker..!). Instead every baddie you kill drops so much loot, it was bit loot overload. A weird choice imo. 

 

I was personally hoping for an open world immersive sim (and it was kinda marketed that way to my eyes) with more of an emphasis on discovery. It just felt like I was constantly being bombarded with new quests and sub quests and people constantly phoning me. 

 

I guess ultimately the game felt a bit schizophrenic to me, like they made an amazing city and had a bunch of cool lore and characters but the didn't really know what they wanted to do with it. 


It’s probably the issue I had most with the game. For something that is trying so hard to be immersive, it’s a right fucking ball ache to have people try to sell you a sodding car whilst you’re in the middle of some story. 
 

Pacing.

 

The game has none of it. You have the urgency of the main storyline coupled with the hundreds of side quests messing you up. The thing is, I can think of a fair few different ways to overcome all this without much effort at all. 

 

All they needed to do was give me a bell and I’d have sorted it for them easily.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Floshenbarnical said:


I dunno. In gta you have flight school, a longer campaign, post-game content eg the whole scuba thing, hunting, vehicle modification, eXtReMe sports, triathlons, there’s a lot of content that doesn’t just involve violence. I know there’s races in cyberpunk but they’re poor (try looking behind you a few times in rapid succession).

 

I was just reading lore and it turns out Pacifica is such a shithole because the city pulled funding to fight the Unification War. I also found out that the nuke which destroys Arasaka Tower is apparently not the same bomb that Silverhand detonates. Militech went in 7 years after him and essentially leveled all of corpo plaza, and President Kress (ex-Militech CEO) used the event to expel Arasaka from the USA. Arasaka didn’t return until the end of the Unification War when Mayor Rhyne (RIP) begged them for help as NUSA troops appeared at the southern border, which is when Arasaka sent in the aircraft carrier and ended the war. 
 

I just spent the entire workday reading lore, it’s so rich and fascinating. And I got paid to do it!

 

Guessing you didn't sell many SUV's today? 🤔

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, hmm said:

I would dispute a bit that Bethesda have released much in the state of CP2077.

 

Ah, the hindsight of 10+ years of patches and 60x more powerful hardware. Every big (Bethesda/Gamebryo/whatever they're calling it now) game at launch crashed all the time, had frequent game breaking bugs, mountains of jank, and on PC had to be sometimes extensively modded and tweaked to get the controller-centric UI and batshit default settings choices fixed into a playable state.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Tim Rogers video really hammers home how much 'story' quest gameplay is in there.

 

Cyberpunk apologist mode: There were only maybe four or five (out of 17 or whatever it was) decent cyberpsycho gigs, but that made it more surprising when it *was* one of the oddball ones and you were expecting the usual.

 

I agree about being able to do side stuff (not shit minigames, just being able to interact more normally with the everyday environments, drinking coffee, getting your hair cut, jukeboxes, whatever). The only time you ever really eat or drink in a diner is during a cutscene. The one time I thought I'd found an exception I'd triggered a mission where some punks stuck up the diner.

 

"There is less to do in terms of exploration [than GTA]" == "I didn't put significant time exploring the world on foot". There is SO MUCH completely missable stuff you can stumble into. Not just corpses with notes on them (although there's plenty of that), there's whole sprawling areas that you might fleetingly dip into for a main quest mission but can go back to and explore at leisure.

 

This stuck out to me:

"Eg, say you see an ad on a billboard for some mad cool cyberware. You use in game Internet to find the manufacturer office / factory, break in and steal some totally amazing, one-off equipment. All of this would be free form and not a "quest" you follow."

 

It's not so exhaustively simulated a world that you can do this for every single brand/product in the game, but you CAN do this! Some of the corpo HQs are just exteriors/campuses (although this is already insane, near-Hitman levels of detail for stuff that you never need to visit), but there ARE some factories. workshops, mansions, drug labs etc. that are fully modelled and populated and are worth breaking in to of your own volition.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Finally going to get into this proper over Christmas, after having it in my Steam library since day one. Given all the hoo ha at launch I thought it best to let CDPR bang out a good amount of patches.

 

Should run and look alright with my recent upgrades as well. :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, MK-1601 said:

"Eg, say you see an ad on a billboard for some mad cool cyberware. You use in game Internet to find the manufacturer office / factory, break in and steal some totally amazing, one-off equipment. All of this would be free form and not a "quest" you follow."


Are you saying you can do this? I didn’t realise

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.