Jump to content
IGNORED

Cyberpunk 2077 - PS5 and XSeries versions out now + major patch


Vemsie
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 28/11/2021 at 22:32, robdood said:

Sure, but as a brand it's pretty damaged. 

 

 

Drama about games in the specialist press is a tiny sideshow.

 

If The DiscourseTM mattered critically or commercially Hello Games wouldn't exist today, and Ubisoft wouldn't still be releasing new entries in their main franchises after the year when they shipped obviously half finished games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 28/11/2021 at 22:32, robdood said:

Sure, but as a brand it's pretty damaged. 

 

 

If Witcher 4 or their next game came out on a few years there might not be as many preorders but will still be a guranteed multi million dollar seller. 

 

The above should apply several times more for Bethesda as they've done a Cyberpunk 2077 multiple times in a row but I pretty much bet Starfield next Elder Scrolls games will sell just as well as their other games (bar the impact of game pass). People tend to have longer memories of games being poor as a game rather than technical issues and technical promises broken.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would dispute a bit that Bethesda have released much in the state of CP2077. Don't get me wrong - I've seen and experienced much of their vast history of bugs. It did feel to me though that CDPR dialled the bug count right up to 11 and then added some bonus sprinklings: broadly unplayable on half of the target platforms and an overwhelming sense of the game being unfinished, or at least much reduced from what they'd intended.

 

With Elder Scrolls and Fallout, I think that even while I've run into plenty of comical bugs - and I'm aware plenty of people have hit real showstoppers too - the overall experience for most people, including me, has generally been the promised one. I don't think that's the case with CP2077 really. I did really enjoy my time with it but it's a deeply flawed gem.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, hmm said:

I would dispute a bit that Bethesda have released much in the state of CP2077. Don't get me wrong - I've seen and experienced much of their vast history of bugs. It did feel to me though that CDPR dialled the bug count right up to 11 and then added some bonus sprinklings: broadly unplayable on half of the target platforms and an overwhelming sense of the game being unfinished, or at least much reduced from what they'd intended.

 

With Elder Scrolls and Fallout, I think that even while I've run into plenty of comical bugs - and I'm aware plenty of people have hit real showstoppers too - the overall experience for most people, including me, has generally been the promised one. I don't think that's the case with CP2077 really. I did really enjoy my time with it but it's a deeply flawed gem.

Fallout 76

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, I'll give you F76, sure. I haven't played it myself but I certainly get the impression that it is, or was at least, in at least as sorry a state as CP2077. However, the part I was disputing was mainly the "Bethesda [have] done a Cyberpunk 2077 multiple times in a row" suggestion, like their history is riddled with games released in a condition that severe yet gamers have repeatedly forgiven them, and I wouldn't agree that's the case.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, hmm said:

Well, I'll give you F76, sure. I haven't played it myself but I certainly get the impression that it is, or was at least, in at least as sorry a state as CP2077. However, the part I was disputing was mainly the "Bethesda [have] done a Cyberpunk 2077 multiple times in a row" suggestion, like their history is riddled with games released in a condition that severe yet gamers have repeatedly forgiven them, and I wouldn't agree that's the case.

I was going to reply but my post hit 0 FPS like Skyrim on the PS3 did regularly

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, I was a victim of the PS3 Skyrim bug. It got worse as the game went on, to the point it was an actual slideshow much of the time. I don't think they ever truly fixed it. I bought the game again on 360 and never looked back. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Speaking of which, I’ve still not finished this. I booted it up to do a couple of side missions at the weekend and the same thing happened as always, I spent most of my available game time wandering around Night City, just agog at the verisimilitude of the world they created.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

 

The world with nothing to do in it? 

 

I think if a world's convincing, I'd argue that wandering around in it is just as pleasant an experience than actual gameplay. 

 

Hell, I spent hours upon hours walking around Skyrim with that music on.

 

As a sight-seeing tour, Cyberpunk is right up there - the amount of detail in the city is pretty astonishing. 

 

Now, I don't think that's enough for the long-term, but it definitely helps I guess.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

 

The world with nothing to do in it? 


I guess it depends what you think is ‘nothing to do’. Aside from all the game stuff there is to do, I get genuine pleasure from checking out the unbelievable diversity of people and fashion that you see. It still amazes me that everyone in that world seems to be a separately crafted individual, with new people in the crowd cropping up all the time. Of course, when you see someone new you’ll often turn a corner and their other three identical quadruplets will be working the market stalls, or having a drink and a fag together, but hey ho.

 

And just wandering the streets in this is a pure joy. If you don’t find that world fascinating then of course it’s nothing, but if you do, it’s everything.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, I think my take on those games is that they are very similar in that regard (although side missions in C2077 are so much better). Once you’ve done all the missions etc in GTA, what is there to do? Nothing really, except fart around in the sandbox that’s been created for you. And in GTA for example, I get as much pleasure from trying to take jumps off an interesting wall on a motorbike as anything the designers intended, because just like in C2077 the world stands up to that.
 

Obviously C2077 won’t be quite as interesting for bike stunts, but then climbing buildings in GTA with metal legs isn’t up to much either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, K said:

There must be nearly a hundred side missions, all of which are unique and aren't just 'clear out this outpost / climb this tower / gather 18 materials and come back here'. Nothing to do! What the fuck.


you what? I’ve done them all twice and they definitely are that. Assassination, clear out base, steal data, and one or two hostage missions. 
 

don’t get me wrong I’m a huge fanboy but most of the blue icons and quests given by fixers (not referring to quests like the peralezeseses) are exactly what you’re talking about. I think why people mean is that there’s not many ways to meaningfully engage with the revolutionary environment they’ve created. You can’t, for instance, sit at a counter and drink a coffee (unless it’s a scripted part of a quest). You can buy a coffee, and drink it in your menu though. You can’t play arcade games, play pool, etc. You can’t repaint your car or cut your hair or change the color of your nails. 
 

Some might argue that this is small potatoes or whatever but I think a lot of people were expecting Shenmue Theft Auto and to be fair it kind of was pitched that way. Sometimes c2077 feels like going to Hamleys as a newly minted child millionaire but discovering you left your money at home

 

the game also has this weird anxiety about making you do stuff, like it’s afraid youll get bored or confused if you don’t constantly have an objective marker telling you to meet takemura. Poor fucker waited at jig jig street for 60 hours

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Floshenbarnical said:


you what? I’ve done them all twice and they definitely are that. Assassination, clear out base, steal data, and one or two hostage missions. 
 

don’t get me wrong I’m a huge fanboy but most of the blue icons and quests given by fixers (not referring to quests like the peralezeseses) are exactly what you’re talking about. I think why people mean is that there’s not many ways to meaningfully engage with the revolutionary environment they’ve created. You can’t, for instance, sit at a counter and drink a coffee (unless it’s a scripted part of a quest). You can buy a coffee, and drink it in your menu though. You can’t play arcade games, play pool, etc. You can’t repaint your car or cut your hair or change the color of your nails. 
 

Some might argue that this is small potatoes or whatever but I think a lot of people were expecting Shenmue Theft Auto and to be fair it kind of was pitched that way. Sometimes c2077 feels like going to Hamleys as a newly minted child millionaire but discovering you left your money at home

 

the game also has this weird anxiety about making you do stuff, like it’s afraid youll get bored or confused if you don’t constantly have an objective marker telling you to meet takemura. Poor fucker waited at jig jig street for 60 hours

I suspect he means they have narrative around them rather than just the police ones with no story where you just clear out an area 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Floshenbarnical said:

Some might argue that this is small potatoes or whatever but I think a lot of people were expecting Shenmue Theft Auto and to be fair it kind of was pitched that way.

 

Where was it ever pitched that way?

 

12 minutes ago, Floshenbarnical said:

I think why people mean is that there’s not many ways to meaningfully engage with the revolutionary environment they’ve created. You can’t, for instance, sit at a counter and drink a coffee (unless it’s a scripted part of a quest). You can buy a coffee, and drink it in your menu though. You can’t play arcade games, play pool, etc. You can’t repaint your car or cut your hair or change the color of your nails. 

 

Are those really the important things, are we pretending that the reason there was a massive backlash is because you can't drink a coffee or go bowling with your cousin?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Floshenbarnical What Uzi says, plus the fact that each mission is in a unique environment. Even the cyberpsycho ones, which pretty much all climax in you fighting a boss in a little arena, are all completely different in terms of approach, atmosphere, setting, etc. Like, you get the horror one you find the aftermath of some gross maelstrom ritual and the psycho rises up out of the fridge, or the one where you find a convoy in the desert that's been shot to pieces and track the psycho to a trailer park. Plus, you get ones that are pure narrative, like the one where you track down a guy's cheating wife while Johnny Silverhand provides a noir-ish voiceover. There are a few which boil down to 'break into this building, and steal this thing / kill this woman/ kidnap this guy', but even they take the time to give each one a unique, interesting backstory.

 

I do agree that it would be nice to be able to buy a beer or a coffee at some of the bars (or whatever). It feels weird to go into a pub and order a drink, and then it just brings up the generic merchant menu where you buy a drink and it goes into your inventory along with 6,000 other consumables. The same goes for not being able to sleep or live in the various apartments and living spaces you unlock. But that must be incredibly low down their list of priorities.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, K said:

@Floshenbarnical What Uzi says, plus the fact that each mission is in a unique environment. Even the cyberpsycho ones, which pretty much all climax in you fighting a boss in a little arena, are all completely different in terms of approach, atmosphere, setting, etc. Like, you get the horror one you find the aftermath of some gross maelstrom ritual and the psycho rises up out of the fridge, or the one where you find a convoy in the desert that's been shot to pieces and track the psycho to a trailer park. Plus, you get ones that are pure narrative, like the one where you track down a guy's cheating wife while Johnny Silverhand provides a noir-ish voiceover. There are a few which boil down to 'break into this building, and steal this thing / kill this woman/ kidnap this guy', but even they take the time to give each one a unique, interesting backstory.

 

I do agree that it would be nice to be able to buy a beer or a coffee at some of the bars (or whatever). It feels weird to go into a pub and order a drink, and then it just brings up the generic merchant menu where you buy a drink and it goes into your inventory along with 6,000 other consumables. The same goes for not being able to sleep or live in the various apartments and living spaces you unlock. But that must be incredibly low down their list of priorities.


I don’t really disagree with anything you’ve said and I’m not trying to yuck your yum; I find it to be equally delicious. I’m just saying it’s a beautiful environment you can’t really interact with very much. Like a jungle gym, or a strip club. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Floshenbarnical said:


you what? I’ve done them all twice and they definitely are that. Assassination, clear out base, steal data, and one or two hostage missions. 
 

don’t get me wrong I’m a huge fanboy but most of the blue icons and quests given by fixers (not referring to quests like the peralezeseses) are exactly what you’re talking about. I think why people mean is that there’s not many ways to meaningfully engage with the revolutionary environment they’ve created. You can’t, for instance, sit at a counter and drink a coffee (unless it’s a scripted part of a quest). You can buy a coffee, and drink it in your menu though. You can’t play arcade games, play pool, etc. You can’t repaint your car or cut your hair or change the color of your nails. 
 

Some might argue that this is small potatoes or whatever but I think a lot of people were expecting Shenmue Theft Auto and to be fair it kind of was pitched that way. Sometimes c2077 feels like going to Hamleys as a newly minted child millionaire but discovering you left your money at home

 

the game also has this weird anxiety about making you do stuff, like it’s afraid youll get bored or confused if you don’t constantly have an objective marker telling you to meet takemura. Poor fucker waited at jig jig street for 60 hours

That is all superficial shit though (imo). Additional mini games and crap to do is fine as window dressing, but what matters to me is the core of how the gameplay is framed to transform it. Me buying a coffee and then going cyber wanking or cyber painballing won't personally get me to connect to the world. I think shenmue was cool back in the day but going back to it now is a fucking borefest. I need NARRATIVE MEAT. I guess neither will go to place X and kill y. What cyberpunk does incredibly well at times is take that go to place x and kill y and frame it in a compelling way.

 

One that sticks out to this day is where I had this fixer side mission to track down (and this is purely from memory from a game I played over 11 months ago) the production crew/people behind an underage/snuff braindance ring. It was the usual go to somewhere and sneak past and kill some guards but the writing around the pain of the guy who asked for the job (a father whose son was a victim of this) made me really invested in this so that when I found the father and son combo running this operation, I found it befitting to make the father feel the pain of the father who had hired the fixer. So his son got shotgunned in the torso and the father dropped to his knees in agony about the loss of his own flesh and blood which felt poetic and sad at the same time. The dirty environment with shady lighting and the equipment everywhere suddenly had this really sickening weight to it.

 

That shit is why I enjoy games - make me invested in otherwise ho hum objectives.

 

GIVE ME MORE MEAT CD PROJECT RED. MORE NARRATIVE MEAT.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Pob changed the title to Cyberpunk 2077 - PS5 and XSeries versions out now + major patch

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.