IGNORED

Cyberpunk 2077 - PS5 and XSeries versions out now + major patch

Vemsie

Theres a good 10 hour video review that breaks it down to unfixable.

Its platform dependant old gen still shonky, new gen very playable. Both still a bit buggy. Core game design in all areas great story, very poorly implemented game mechanics. its easily cheatable robbing the player of the intended experience by going for a cheap method of disposing of enemies / combat.

I'm only going on the Action Button review. I restarted it and got as far as the first braindance mission so far. 

I need coffee. Never try to type before caffiene and nicotine boosters.

It looks fucking amazing on series X but a lot better on PC.apparently.

I think there's plenty to enjoy in the game - the city itself is fantastic, and it's about the only game I've seen where there are definite benefits to the whole ray tracing thing. And there are moments when the story works really well.

But, there's so much jank. So, so much jank. The game systems in play are effectively pointless for much of it - there's just no pacing to the thing. All the time spent creating all the different clothes and weapons and skill-sets when in all honesty it makes fuck all difference.

It's got a flawed core to it - there's nothing they can do to ultimately deconstruct and rebuilt it to make it hugely different to what it is. 

As I say, it's enjoyable, but I'd honestly prefer them now to release the PS5/Series versions out and then cancel any and all other DLC and start working on a new game. I want to see more stuff in Night City, as I think it's a fantastic environment and there's got to me more stories to be told about it, but I think they really need to make some fundamental changes to how they do it before I get excited again, as it's by far the biggest disappointment I've had with a game for a long, long time.

3 hours ago, JoeK said:

I think there's plenty to enjoy in the game - the city itself is fantastic, and it's about the only game I've seen where there are definite benefits to the whole ray tracing thing. And there are moments when the story works really well.

But, there's so much jank. So, so much jank. The game systems in play are effectively pointless for much of it - there's just no pacing to the thing. All the time spent creating all the different clothes and weapons and skill-sets when in all honesty it makes fuck all difference.

It's got a flawed core to it - there's nothing they can do to ultimately deconstruct and rebuilt it to make it hugely different to what it is. 

As I say, it's enjoyable, but I'd honestly prefer them now to release the PS5/Series versions out and then cancel any and all other DLC and start working on a new game. I want to see more stuff in Night City, as I think it's a fantastic environment and there's got to me more stories to be told about it, but I think they really need to make some fundamental changes to how they do it before I get excited again, as it's by far the biggest disappointment I've had with a game for a long, long time.

As a wise man recently said: CDProjekt had to make 2 Witcher games before they managed to make the Witcher 3. 

Given the reaction to 2077 though, I'd be surprised if we do indeed see sequels, which is a shame. 

38 minutes ago, Hello Goaty ♥ said:

Can I play this now or what? PC

If you have a PC that can do DLSS, you'll have a pretty good time. If you don't then you're going to have to knock stuff down a notch I think. Don't play it with ray tracing if you have an AMD card.

Your PC will explode.

" It's got a flawed core to it - there's nothing they can do to ultimately deconstruct and rebuilt it to make it hugely different to what it is. "

It's not impossible to rebalance a game. I don't really mind if they never fully manage it, combat feels very much a side dish to the story, world and player choices. Same as every RPG really - at no point for instance do any of the old school grindfest JRPGs challenge the player in gameplay terms.

" Given the reaction to 2077 though, I'd be surprised if we do indeed see sequels, which is a shame. "

It made a shitload of money and when the DLC and nextgen patch drop it will make another shitload of money.

It's a situation much closer to Witcher 3 than, say, RAGE. Of course CDPR would like it to be a GTAV level mega success but it's not an existential threat to them that it fell short of this.

I don't disagree with anything in Floshenbarnical's post above, but while the 'sandbox' integration doesn't work in gameplay terms, it's ridiculous how much better it is in technical terms than what we'd typically seen on PS4-gen hardware before then. Mafia 3 is a good point of comparison, where the 'open world' and 'level boxes' feel extremely inorganically connected.

CP2077 reminds me of MGS5 quite a bit (in the previous gen transition) in terms of raising its sights in terms of technical ambition over the established model.

What kind of state is this in now? I really want to give it a go and I’m seeing it at attractive prices but I don’t know if I should go for it. 

I gather the PC version is in the best state? But I’m running an old i7 with a 1070 so I don’t know if it will be happy running well or if I’ll get the best out of it. Also have a PS5 and a Series S. Any advice on which version I’d be best off looking at and what state they’re all in?

At this stage, I would just wait for the next-gen update. Just a hunch but I suspect it will come with extra content and possibly some adjustments to the UI and systems. They did a similar thing with W3 and fuck only knows they’ve had an extra 18 months by the time it comes out (Feb/Marchish time). Think they know this needs to be special. 

By all means pick it up now though as it’s pretty cheap. Update is free when it comes. 

I’ve just bought an LG C1 OLED and this game is absolutely god damn gorgeous. I don’t know what the “new-gen” update will bring, but I bet it isn’t much. I have been holding out for this upgrade, but TBF there’s a really decent campaign in there amongst the — admittedly not so frequent — jank. It’s on sale for peanuts at the moment. I do believe it’s $15 if you have any friends in the States* to buy it for you and send the code. 

This is by no means a bad game, just an absolute failure of hype and release management. Blame the suits (and maybe the game design team), not the art/tech team — what they have accomplished is staggering at times. 

*mate of mine did this with GotG and it works fine. Set Xbox to US region and entered code but not even sure I needed to do that. 

1 hour ago, Broker said:

Grabbed the PS5 version on sale, as it’s £20 at the moment and my PC setup won’t allow any ray tracing or decent frame rate at 1080p, and the series s is less powerful. I’m excited to give it a go :) 

Held off this on release waiting for the next gen console updates! Surprised that they still haven't materialised. It will be interesting to see how well it works on a PS5. 

Edit update coming first quarter 2022!!!

https://www.eurogamer.net/amp/2021-10-20-cyberpunk-2077-delayed-to-2022-for-ps5-xbox-series-s-x

4 minutes ago, robdood said:

Sure, but as a brand it's pretty damaged. 

CDPR are certainly not the golden girls/boys/things of the industry anymore, that’s for sure. 

For a whole load of reasons, unfortunately.

However, they gave me Witcher 3, so I do give then a slightly longer bit of rope to slow down their next fall into disaster.

1 hour ago, Floshenbarnical said:

I just want C2077: Online, and I want it to be amazing so I can quit my job and sit in my office forever like a disgusting goblin. We already live in the cyberpunk dystopia, but Night City has more neon and PVC jackets

I genuinely think it could well be the worst thing ever created, but I do have a passionate hate of all things online, so it's probably best to ignore me on that one.