IGNORED

Cyberpunk 2077 - PS5 and XSeries versions out now + major patch

Vemsie

23 hours ago, Festoon said:

Rogers review is a masterpiece.

Yeah he’s so far ahead of any other games journalists or whatever they call themselves these days that it’s ridiculous. 

Even if you didn’t enjoy Cyberpunk, maybe especially if you didn’t, his review is totally worth it. 

Two things I’ve notice from Rogers’ excellent review:

1) His video captures from his super duper PC look exactly like the Stadia version to my eyes.

2) Why is he playing it so you see damage numbers appear when people get shot, etc? It looks flipping terrible.

1 hour ago, MK-1601 said:

Well yes, YouTube compression is chewing up both.

I’m watching it on YouTube in 4K on an LG CX though, would it be much different if I was looking at his CX? I can’t imagine compression makes a wild change.

I get the criticism about the game looking bad. It's not that it looks 'bad', to me, it just looks completely uninspired. Like they downloaded every collection of 3D assets with '#futuristic' in the tags and dumped it onto a map. like a big interactive Pinterest board. 

Exactly how the star citizen art direction makes me feel too.

but it's all worth it for Tim Rogers ❤️

4 hours ago, ZOK said:

I’m watching it on YouTube in 4K on an LG CX though, would it be much different if I was looking at his CX? I can’t imagine compression makes a wild change.

I keep telling you, ray-tracing and all the other advantages RTX provides doesn’t come across well in video or screens. You have to control the camera and manoeuvre within the environments yourself. It’s a lot like VR in that way.

I was a ray-tracing naysayer myself because of video examples until finally being able to experience it first-hand. Now I want it in everything. It’s just so fucking immersive. It’s a shame the new consoles are running on AMD architecture or else it’d be pushed a lot harder within the industry than it currently is.

That said there’s no reason at all why Stadia can’t update their machines to be RTX ready. Unless running costs are an issue and wreck their profits.

15 minutes ago, stan said:

I get the criticism about the game looking bad. It's not that it looks 'bad', to me, it just looks completely uninspired. Like they downloaded every collection of 3D assets with '#futuristic' in the tags and dumped it onto a map. like a big interactive Pinterest board. every sci fi movie you love absolutely nothing more. no unique voice. just fan art.

Exactly how the star citizen art direction too.

but it's all worth it for Tim Rogers ❤️

That’s totally wrong though, sorry! It’s the most perfect realisation of an organic, coherent and believable future city anyone has ever created.

Rogers’ review is fantastic, but he gets it wrong on quite a few bits I’ve found.

He seems to believe Schismatrix is a cyberpunk novel though, so he’s putting his missteps out there front and centre.

The funniest thing is the way he played it though, that he played through four times in his goblin style was cracking me up!

3 minutes ago, Fallows said:

I keep telling you, ray-tracing and all the other advantages RTX provides doesn’t come across well in video or screens. You have to control the camera and manoeuvre within the environments yourself. It’s a lot like VR in that way.

I was a ray-tracing naysayer myself because of video examples until finally being able to experience it first-hand. Now I want it in everything. It’s just so fucking immersive. It’s a shame the new consoles are running on AMD architecture or else it’d be pushed a lot harder within the industry than it currently is.

That said there’s no reason at all why Stadia can’t update their machines to be RTX ready. Unless running costs are an issue and wreck their profits.

Oh yes I don’t doubt it, but I’m just going by what I saw. Realistically I’m never going to play a beefed up PC version in the flesh ever I imagine.

1 minute ago, ZOK said:

Oh yes I don’t doubt it, but I’m just going by what I saw. Realistically I’m never going to play a beefed up PC version in the flesh ever I imagine.

I’m sure the tech will be streamlined/optimised staggeringly well by the time the next gen rolls around. In fact I’d be very surprised if the next Nintendo doesn’t utilise the RTX suite to a semi-respectable degree (or maybe not surprised at all given their recent track record).

See, the pre-release trailers made me worry it was going to be like that. The characters didn't look a million miles away from The Witcher's and the environment was the usual mishmash of Blade Runnerisms. But the end product is one of the best art directed games ever.

The art book (I don't know if you can buy it or if it was some pre-order bonus, but which is Out There anyway) is brain melting.

2 hours ago, Fallows said:

I’m sure the tech will be streamlined/optimised staggeringly well by the time the next gen rolls around. In fact I’d be very surprised if the next Nintendo doesn’t utilise the RTX suite to a semi-respectable degree (or maybe not surprised at all given their recent track record).

whereas I would be shocked if nintendo decided to go all in on RTX mobile ray tracing, or ever give up on the mobile space they’ve colonised with Switch, for Switch 2.

3 hours ago, Fallows said:

It may not be possible to do raytracing and user virtualization on their current data centre cards at the same time.

In a Saturday well spent I did indeed watch the whole Tim Rogers video, which was excellent as expected. Despite his (possibly ironic*) protestations it absolutely works as a single, epic video essay on the game, its genesis and myriad influences. I was always locked out of playing it due to its first-person perspective, but more than any other take on it I feel like I've been comprehensively guided through exactly what it turned out to be.

*In Story 5 he essentially admits that he really wants people to watch the whole thing, which may in itself be a joke, but I saw nothing of the repetition he warned about across its individual segments. Everything is quite clearly defined as its own aspect of the critique, and all equally worthwhile. I was never not going to marathon the whole thing, but I'm very glad I did.

15 hours ago, stan said:

this is how I think about it:

graphics: 10/10

art direction: 7/10

I'd score BotW like:

graphics: 7/10

art direction: 10/10

This is wrong though.

As everyone else has said, the game totally nails the Cyberpunk aesthetic. 

From the interior of the cars, to the UX design of every single terminal, to the fonts, advertisements, corporate branding, and the street vendors, it is a stunning work of art.

It's a perfect evocation of that Cyberpunk 'mid to late 80s vision of a future dystopia' that has ever been created in games.

I think perhaps just the aethetic isnt for you? 

Which is fine, not everything has to be for everyone, but I think it is unfair to at least acknowledge that the game absolutely nailed what it set out to do.

And now I have gone and ordered the art book.

The art book is really nice. Bear in mind that it’s more of an RPG sourcebook than a conventional art book, in that it’s full of in-universe documents, overviews of different districts of Night City, information on different factions, the timeline and history of the game’s alternate future, etc. There’s no commentary from CDPR’s artists, nothing about any of the creative decisions or any alternate choices regarding characters or the setting. But it’s beautifully made, and is obviously chock full of concept paintings and high-quality reproductions of in-game artwork. 

I think there was a more standard art book that came with the £200 collectors edition of the game, but hasn’t been released separately (but can probably be found in pdf form somewhere).