IGNORED

Cyberpunk 2077 - PS5 and XSeries versions out now + major patch

Vemsie

Is Cyberpunk actually a good game underneath all the bugs? my favourite parts of The Witcher 3 was exploring the world and discovering new characters and stories,  the quality and depth of the writing/story telling blew me away.  I never got a sense of that from my few hours playing CP

56 minutes ago, tobert said:

Is Cyberpunk actually a good game underneath all the bugs? my favourite parts of The Witcher 3 was exploring the world and discovering new characters and stories,  the quality and depth of the writing/story telling blew me away.  I never got a sense of that from my few hours playing CP

Yeah, it is. Not Hearts of Stone good, but the story is well told. I think the story bits and the associated quests (missions) don't hang together all that well but the main story is really well done.

Incidentally, playing on PC I had about 5 bugs in 100 hours of play.

Edit: And, actually, the bugs didn't appear until I had passed the Point Of No Return, about 70 hours in.

It’s a fantastic game - one of the most memorable and engaging worlds I’ve ever seen. If they sorted out the balance of the various powers, weapons, skills, perks, etc, so that the game was a consistent challenge rather than comically easy after a certain point, it would be truly outstanding. 

It's a great game, certainly on PC I can wholeheartedly recommend it. And, on PC, even from day one it was vastly, vastly less buggy than Watchdogs: Legion, which I'd played through before. I could never quite believe the roasting Cyberpunk got and Legion didn't, although I appreciate the console experience was meant to be very different.

I'm actually in Poland right now. We had a belated birthday party for my girlfriend and at this party I got chatting to someone who works in games design at a smaller studio here. He was telling me he has friends in CDPR who put the blame firmly on poor company management. He was telling me about whole features which months of work was spent on, only to be hastily cut to get the whole thing out the door faster. For instance, apparently a team spent around 5 months implementing a working metro system, only to be told at the last minute its out and being replaced by fast travel points. You can clearly see evidence in the shipped game (and in the trailers, for that matter) that you were meant to be able to travel around Night City on a monorail system.

But yeah, despite it's issues, it's still a great game.

Yeah, I don't get these lines about "moving it back into mainstream conversation", a ludicrous number of people played it, and already enjoyed it. Are we holding other games to this standard, is Watch Dogs: Legion needing to spring back into mainstream conversation, or what?

It's a shame a ridiculous over-the-top circlejerk started up and shouted over everyone enjoying it that they should stop having fun, and now keeps insisting on pigeonholing it as some terrible example than a good game that sold well (i.e the Halo Infinite thread doing some "well at least it's not like Cyberpunk" posts, even though that game is hemorrhaging modes to make launch, something Cyberpunk never had to do).

1 hour ago, TehStu said:

How is XB1 performance? Try as I might, the kids hog the XSX so I'm not even sure it's worth waiting for the next gen patch to start.

Disastrous, don't even bother.

As for whether it's a good game - it's good, not great, and the shadow of failed ambition looms over every aspect of the game in a way.

1 hour ago, ZOK said:

It was universally declared GOTY 2020 by anyone who matters. We only have to wait until 2029 to see if it will sweep GOTD, but the early signs are good.

They need to put out a Creation Kit equivalent and let the community get to work for those levels of greatness (like current day Skyrim on a PC).

Recent news articles hint they will likely crack down on anything like that and go the GTA Online cashcow route instead. :(

16 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

Yeah, I don't get these lines about "moving it back into mainstream conversation", a ludicrous number of people played it, and already enjoyed it. Are we holding other games to this standard, is Watch Dogs: Legion needing to spring back into mainstream conversation, or what?

It's a shame a ridiculous over-the-top circlejerk started up and shouted over everyone enjoying it that they should stop having fun, and now keeps insisting on pigeonholing it as some terrible example than a good game that sold well (i.e the Halo Infinite thread doing some "well at least it's not like Cyberpunk" posts, even though that game is hemorrhaging modes to make launch, something Cyberpunk never had to do).

I think the response was ludricous, but there's no denying the launch and withdrawal from Play Store was anything than an utter disaster.

Yeah, but the point being made is that that utter disaster was in part down to the ludicrous response. That there have been buggier games released that did not get pulled.

But I'm not so sure it was that ludicrous - this was a very buggy game at launch, to huge anticipation, from a major developer, and platform holders should hold developers to account when they pull that shit.

It's still a brilliant game in its own right, flaws and all.

But the reason it got pulled was for offering a more generous refund policy than the store, which seems to be a Sony no-no.

It actually comes across as a more consumer-friendly attempt to get in front of the criticisms that got punished, and it's a bit shit to weaponise a good-faith effort to do right against CDPR, when there's no infamous reaction and hanging around stigma for Ubisoft or EA or whoever launching games that literally break and won't load up for days or weeks who proceed to do fuck all about refunds and continue selling the game.

I’ve taken a break from this because I got distracted by 60fps Horizon, but yeah Cyberpunk’s a good game.

The thing I can’t get over with the reaction to it (outside the bugs) is that it is totally sci-fi Witcher 3, with arguably better combat and much enhanced role playing. It’s exactly the game I would have expected the makers of Witcher 3 to create.

I really don’t get why the many people who loved that game wouldn’t adore Cyberpunk, unless of course they were playing the broken old console versions. 

Really, there was only one point where I thought 'This is totally broken', on base PS4 (and wondered if I could even get past it) and that was the on-rails bit early on, 

Spoiler

escaping from the junk yard being pursued by Yakuza.

I have no idea how I got past - frame rate was down to single figures, ninjas were spawning randomly, and I could not control anything.

Otherwise, glitches a-plenty, but nothing that stopped me having a great game.

It's a good game, but anyone suggesting it's the game of the year.much less decade has lost the run of themselves. 

It has a remarkable sense of place. The story will keep your attention and some of the side quests are very good. 

But it doesn't quite hold together. The main quests and side quests are done quite quickly, and what's left when they are done is a bit mindless. The story itself moves really fast in a way not really consistent with an open world game, and Keanu ranges from fun to annoying. Act One feels like a missed opportunity to set things up before forcing the big change. Side quests vary, and it feels like there should be a few more endings to tie in with them. You get stupidly, murder everything in sight powerful very quickly, there's way to much inventory to manage for no real gain and the driving mechanics are jumpy at best. 

It is also riddled with bugs. I have had something like 10 straight crash outs on my Xbox, first S then X which is a record by a massive margin. Then there's all the weird stuff that happens. My favourite was when I called my bike and it appeared under cars and jumped then up. 

Ultimately its just a really good open world game. No more or less. But it seemed to promise a lot more and I think that's why people are disappointed. 

I wasn't a huge fan of the story, to be honest: both of the main characters were arseholes, pretty much regardless of how you tried to play the one you were in charge of, and I didn't really get on with the endings either

Spoiler

particularly the fact that there's no way of V having any kind of happy ending, which I'm sure is terribly grown up writing but is also a bit rubbish when you've invested all that time only to be greeted with her abandoning the relationship you cultivated and promptly dying from the affliction you spent the entire game battling against.

Ultimately, I don't think it matters that much because, regardless, anyone that's into videogames and/or sci-fi owes it to themselves to get immersed in the stunningly realised, all too plausible, near-future world that CDPR have constructed here, and especially now that the vast majority of the (glaring) bugs have been eradicated.