IGNORED

Cyberpunk 2077 - PS5 and XSeries versions out now + major patch

Vemsie

On 24/06/2021 at 09:58, MK-1601 said:

Unless your PC is in your living room and you're playing from the sofa (or have some other accessibility issue), it's a first person game, so KB+M obviously. It's perfectly playable with a pad but if you've paid extra to make it look nice and run smoothly I don't know why you'd sit at a desk and poke at the game world like a bomb control robot when you could be looking around freely.

Hah, I played on my PC at a mix of my desk and the living room but always with a pad.

It's not that M+K isn't technically 'better' for the basics, but I wasn't going to learn two sets of controls and just generally, I prefer Pad when possible because of all the OTHER buttons. Pulling triggers to shoot, etc., is just better than clicking. Also I find twin sticks more immersive as it feels more like how people move vs. the instant flicking around of mouselook.

2 hours ago, RJames said:

Hah, I played on my PC at a mix of my desk and the living room but always with a pad.

It's not that M+K isn't technically 'better' for the basics, but I wasn't going to learn two sets of controls and just generally, I prefer Pad when possible because of all the OTHER buttons. Pulling triggers to shoot, etc., is just better than clicking. Also I find twin sticks more immersive as it feels more like how people move vs. the instant flicking around of mouselook.

It's certainly not how your eyes move! I'm thinking mouse would be preferable for the game tourism side of things rather than fast action, there's always stuff going on in the vertical plane. If I were to replay it on a ninja PC I'd want to catch all that extra detail.

I played through Deus Ex MD with an eye tracking camera, that would be absolutely immense for 2077 (the sense of place, the character animation, and being able to quickhack by gaze independently of walking and looking) although I imagine it's quite a long way down their priority list.

• 2 weeks later...

7579786c48e03e7a2fe4ef166dd431f9dc963ad3.jpg.19b7b728470e506629915c5a96afdc3a.jpg

So, only one more patch to go before DLC's? I read a comment on a Cyberpunk video that I agree with. At first the game was supposed to be the story of you making a name for yourself as a mercenary in Night City, but then the developers saw John Wick and shoehorned Keanu into the game and the result was that you were no longer a mercenary on his/her way up, but a butler carrying Keanu through the game. 

I hope future DLC's turns the game into a stronger RPG with more focus on an actual rags to riches storyline. I hope they just ditch V completely and start a whole new thing. 

36 minutes ago, Stevie said:

I read a comment on a Cyberpunk video that I agree with. At first the game was supposed to be the story of you making a name for yourself as a mercenary in Night City, but then the developers saw John Wick and shoehorned Keanu into the game and the result was that you were no longer a mercenary on his/her way up, but a butler carrying Keanu through the game. 

If John Wick was the only thing Keanu had ever done, and if Johnny Silverhand was a character created specifically for the game, then what you say there may hold some weight. But Keanu has done a tonne of Sci-fi over the years, they'd have picked him for his past roles in the likes of Johnny Mnemonic, and The Matrix; and Johnny Silverhand is an original Cyberpunk character from the pen & paper RPG dating back to the 1980s. 🤷‍♂️

I should have read the lore before commenting on it :blah:I still imagined the game to be something different, perhaps less railroading? I never enjoy uh-oh I'm sick parts of games, and I didn't enjoy it in Cyberpunk either. I guess I wanted to be thrown into a huge world that would gradually reveal its secrets, not thrown into a situation where the protagonist is fighting against the clock. 

Spoiler

I really wanted Deus Ex, didn't I? :( 

I just hit the 60 hour mark on this.  I'd reached the mission that tells me it's the point of no return so, of course, decided to go off and get side-questing.  Some of these side quests are pretty interesting and length sections, but I've spent absolutely hours doing slightly more pointless gigs because I'm trying to find all the

Spoiler

Cyberpsycho sightings for the mission - which all seem to be at either "?" spaces on the map or ones labelled as side gigs and you don't know until you get there.  I've got another 7 to find still, but the other gigs are pretty easy at this point anyway.  I'd been gunning up until a point where I decided to try boosting my intelligence and updating my cyber rig.  Now I just wander around setting people on fire at will and barely fire a shot.  This also tends to count as "not killing anyone" and "stay undetected" it seems if you are not actively in combat, then you don't "kill" people and same for staying undiscovered :D

39 minutes ago, CurryKitten said:

I just hit the 60 hour mark on this.  I'd reached the mission that tells me it's the point of no return so, of course, decided to go off and get side-questing.  Some of these side quests are pretty interesting and length sections, but I've spent absolutely hours doing slightly more pointless gigs because I'm trying to find all the

Hide contents

Cyberpsycho sightings for the mission - which all seem to be at either "?" spaces on the map or ones labelled as side gigs and you don't know until you get there.  I've got another 7 to find still, but the other gigs are pretty easy at this point anyway.  I'd been gunning up until a point where I decided to try boosting my intelligence and updating my cyber rig.  Now I just wander around setting people on fire at will and barely fire a shot.  This also tends to count as "not killing anyone" and "stay undetected" it seems if you are not actively in combat, then you don't "kill" people and same for staying undiscovered :D

It’s a spectacularly unbalanced game in a lot of ways, that’s for sure. Enjoyable definitely, but in what appears to be a first for me you kind of need to play the thing on Hard otherwise it’s essentially a walking sim!

5 hours ago, Stevie said:

I didn’t know that he was a character from the pen and paper RPG :blush:

Don't be embarrassed, neither did I until the game was due for release and I looked further into it. When I first saw the trailer for this and noticed an Afterlife club, I thought that was an homage to the Afterlife club in Mass Effect 2, when in actual fact the club in Mass Effect 2 is an homage to the Afterlife club in the Cyberpunk Pen & Paper RPG, and Aria from ME2 & 3 is basically a riff on Rogue from Cyberpunk. :)

5 hours ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

I was surprised how much Canoe there was in the game. Thought he might pop up occasionally but he's in it, like, all the time. 

He is? Oh god. I’m really not a fan. Ah well, gives me a good excuse to put off buying until the next-gen upgrade comes out. 

5 hours ago, Stevie said:

I should have read the lore before commenting on it :blah:I still imagined the game to be something different, perhaps less railroading? I never enjoy uh-oh I'm sick parts of games, and I didn't enjoy it in Cyberpunk either. I guess I wanted to be thrown into a huge world that would gradually reveal its secrets, not thrown into a situation where the protagonist is fighting against the clock. 

Hide contents

I really wanted Deus Ex, didn't I? :( 

That's what I wanted/hoped/expected before release too: a sandbox RPG in an open cyberpunk city which is more sandbox Deus Ex rather than cyberpunk Witcher.

The advantage of waiting until the current gen upgrade is that I'll be going in with expectations firmly in check. Put Deus Ex or even Witcher aside and see whether I'll like it for what it is.

3 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

That's what I wanted/hoped/expected before release too: a sandbox RPG in an open cyberpunk city which is more sandbox Deus Ex rather than cyberpunk Witcher.

The advantage of waiting until the current gen upgrade is that I'll be going in with expectations firmly in check. Put Deus Ex or even Witcher aside and see whether I'll like it for what it is.

I just think the integration of the main story and the side quests is fairly broken to me. If we’re saying that this is a ‘role’ playing game then the urgency of the main quest is such that side quests needed to have some sort of fundamental link to it. But they really don’t.

This doesn’t take away from how good the majority of the quests are, and that the main story is solid enough, but it's always felt like this is a game that has been added to again and again over the years because people have had cool ideas about things , but forgetting the core idea of a story based RPG.

I maintain that a lot of this could have been done by having you ‘live’ those missing six months during the prologue, but there we go.

16 hours ago, Stevie said:

7579786c48e03e7a2fe4ef166dd431f9dc963ad3.jpg.19b7b728470e506629915c5a96afdc3a.jpg

So, only one more patch to go before DLC's? I read a comment on a Cyberpunk video that I agree with. At first the game was supposed to be the story of you making a name for yourself as a mercenary in Night City, but then the developers saw John Wick and shoehorned Keanu into the game and the result was that you were no longer a mercenary on his/her way up, but a butler carrying Keanu through the game. 

I hope future DLC's turns the game into a stronger RPG with more focus on an actual rags to riches storyline. I hope they just ditch V completely and start a whole new thing. 

I don’t. I want more V & Jackie. The multiple endings thing kind of trashes any chance of post-endgame DLC. Of course I would love to play out some stuff post -my- ending(s) but there you go. 

It’s funny that they chucked Keanu in there only for him to deliver the most wooden performance of his entire career. All his lines come across like a casting agent providing cue lines for a good actor at an audition

• 3 weeks later...

My work lent me a GTX 2070 gaming PC - so booted this up. Gotta say it doesn't look any better than the Xbox Series X version to me. It was on Ultra everything (including realtime lighting) so a bit disappointed. I know the 2070 is an older card - but cant see how the 3080 version of this is going to be night and day (unless you want 90fps).

And I suppose that leads me to my next question - what's really going to be so next gen, about the next gen update version of this? 

I think it's real difficult to appreciate the differences unless you see the things side by side most of the time. The Series X version looks great. However, the more you play the PC version with all the bells and whistles on, and spend time just wandering around the city taking time to catch it all, you start to notice just how impressive the lighting and the reflections are.

This snap I took ages ago looks pretty naff...

1956391791_photomode_08022021_202815copy.thumb.jpg.5dda544b012d4e54c38cb588688cf899.jpg

Until you realise that everything you're looking at is a reflection. And there are multiple reflections of reflections in it too. 

It's bonkers. It is absolutely something which you'll not notice whilst shooting and jumping and generally getting on with the main game, but in those moments when you slow down...sheesh, it's pretty impressive! 

3 hours ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

Only in 4K and at 60fps.

You must have the next gen patch already, because it’s no way 4k /60 lol. Performance mode seems to be 60fps, but the resolution doesn’t look too much higher than 1080p. Quality mode gives a better resolution, but the framerate is a real dogs ear.

• 2 weeks later...

I have this on Stadia and loaded it up last night but couldn't get over how compressed the graphics are. I'm playing on a 1440p monitor but it just looks blurry and quite soft (it seems to run fine without any lag). Is this right? It looks terrible and really harms the experience. 

7 minutes ago, multi said:

Just read somewhere that the latest patch, due soon, will zoom out the mini-map when driving.

That should belatedly cheer up a few of us still playing this.

Where did you read that? I wouldn’t mind having a look what else is in the patch, assuming they say.