Cyberpunk 2077 - Please use spoiler tags

5 minutes ago, BadgerFarmer said:

Not sure if there are going to be many reviews next week. Seeing talk that they've sent copies out to 'influencers' but not reviewers or guide writers.

Fear not, I've pre-ordered and preloaded. I'll be either extremely happy or extremely disappointed after waiting for eight years. You can base your purchase on that unless you absolutely must play day one or not at all.

I do expect that people who've built this up in their minds as some transcendent experience beyond genres and what we previously thought games were capable of, are going to be disappointed. Witcher 3 was one of the best RPGs ever and yet still not to everyone's tastes. I'm mad hype for Cyberpunk 2077 but I simply expect Witcher 3 in a cyberpunk setting. Which would be brilliant, but still not for everyone.

1 minute ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I do expect that people who've built this up in their minds as some transcendent experience beyond genres and what we previously thought games were capable of, are going to be disappointed. Witcher 3 was one of the best RPGs ever and yet still not to everyone's tastes. I'm mad hype for Cyberpunk but I simply expect Witcher 3 in a cyberpunk setting. Which would be brilliant, but still not for everyone.

And then some. Every games writer or reviewer who isn’t just trying to get YouTube watches has been tempering expectations for over a year.

2 minutes ago, footle said:

And then some. Every games writer or reviewer who isn’t just trying to get YouTube watches has been tempering expectations for over a year.

Which could lead to CDPR falling victim to their own marketing hype. Witcher 3 is absolutely brilliant and more of that but bigger and better and more intricate, would also be brilliant. But even if Cyberpunk is exactly that and one of the best RPGs ever, people could still be disappointed because it's "just an RPG" instead of this revolutionary unique experience they imagined it would be. It's going to be interesting seeing what happens. 

I'm just hoping it's at least as good as Witcher 3, that's more than enough to get me crazy hype. I love Witcher 3.

58 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Witcher 3 was one of the best RPGs ever and yet still not to everyone's tastes. I'm mad hype for Cyberpunk 2077 but I simply expect Witcher 3 in a cyberpunk setting. Which would be brilliant, but still not for everyone.

I'veMadeAHugeMistake.gif

8 minutes ago, p1nseeker said:

I can only see 1 version of this on the PSN store costing £49.99. Is that right? Will I get the jazzed up next-gen version included when it appears or will that be a separate game?

There is a day one patch to unlock a bit more of the new consoles power, and then a full 'next-gen' patch is coming later next year (which could well end up as a boxed version for those consoles). However CDPR have said anyone buying the current gen version will get the snazzy versions when they come out at no extra cost.

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/cyberpunk-2077-wont-cost-any-more-on-ps5-or-xbox-series-x

20 hours ago, mdn2 said:

Polygon have done a great article around the transphobia issues surrounding the game. 

https://www.polygon.com/2020/12/4/22058784/cyberpunk-2077-marketing-cd-projekt-red-transphobia

I am not entirely sure what to make of this article if I am honest. I will say I absolutely have an unconscious bias when it comes to most things, so intrigued to know what others think. I ask this, as comments have been disabled on the article so cannot see discussions on the site, but this could be the same people she talks about defending CP to the ends of the earth. But here is my perspective after reading the article. 

There seems very little outside of just hating the fact that CDPRs representation of Trans (especially from a marketing perspective) is around genitalia. 

The world of CP2020 and by the seems of things, 77, are designed to show humanity pretty much at its worst, and how we can market/sell/fetishize absolutely anything.

With that in mind, the game appears to follow the source material well which is to almost have that South Park Satirical nature to it, offending everyone, not just someone. She re-established this in the article near the end with representations of the different factions, and the racial stereotypes at play.

Again, I absolutely come from a place of privilege, so I may be way off base with my interpretation of the marketing, so intrigued to know what others think! 

There was a fair bit of discussion about it a few pages back, and some people got upset that it was distracting from posts about how amazing the game is going to be.

The jist of the problem, aside from their social media team being dickheads, is that they seem to have depicted trans-exploitative marketing of a soft drink in the game as an aspect of 'humanity at its worst' as you say - but they then used exactly the same depictions of a trans person to market the game itself in the meatworld.

I'm hopeful that the game's content will be less hamfistedly offensive than its marketing.

27 minutes ago, Lying Cat said:

It's not specifically the genitalia - it's the fact that traditionally trans people have been treated one of two ways in the mainstream media; an abnormality to be gawped at or something that exists to be sexualised. CDPRs marketing hasn't deviated from his harmful dichotomy at all. It's made worse by some of their previous social media "antics", which the article covers well.

Judged purely by this, it's not a good look - and depending on how much you care about these issues, it should influence whether you want to buy the product.

Whether the product itself is transphobic is sort of up in the air. I've bored everyone at length about it already in this thread, but I'm very much of the opinion that it's perfectly fine to have bad representations provided there are positive ones as well. That stands in the game itself, then in the medium in a larger sense, and further out into all the media we consume. The problem is that sensitive, nuanced media that focuses on trans people is vanishingly rare, so any media simply employing the same old tropes is worse.

Companies like CDPR should really be doing a better job than this, as they're using trans imagery to promote their game and had criticism in the past for their treatment of stuff like this - I'm surprised they've been so tone deaf with it all. There's every chance the game will actually improve matters here, but none of us know!

Thanks for the reply!

I agree the past antics of the community manager mentioned in the article is abhorrent and absolutely wrong, and for sure the overly sexualised nature of the marketing is something that In and of itself, should be targeted to do better. No disagreements there.

I am still of the opinion that what I have seen so far, is that the world exaggerates everything, and the advertisements and marketing are all equally exaggerated. 

However your explanation makes a whole lot of sense and I think it would have better to have left this one marketing piece in the bin. As for them marketing genital choice/body type I come from a probable place of naiveity but I hope they allowed the choice so that anyone could truly make themselves in the game, with few limitations. I know the writer of the article talks of voice in the customisation, and I hope they have added what she suggests which is a range of voices. 

@SuperCapes And that's all fair enough. A lot of the reports that have come through about the game are that the advertising is sort of up here in tone, while the game itself is more down there, so perhaps the game will be handling it better. The thing I hope to get across about my position is that it's fine to present tropes, provided there are examples that go beyond those tropes.

This is all made much more difficult because actual awareness of trans issues and the struggles they face are really quite new to the general gaming (I guess) egregore. I certainly don't have all the answers which is why I like to talk about it, especially as it now feel very relevant to at least the marketing of a major release! And on top of it all, I feel the need to add that this is ultimately all of our hobby, something we engage in to get away from all the shit in the real world - it's fine to play games like this and have fun, but we also need to keep a critical voice even in the back of our heads.

It's surprisingly difficult to be able to hold the two opinions "I like this thing" and "I am critical of some of the things that this thing is doing". Nothing will ever improve if we don't engage with it!

1 minute ago, SuperCapes said:

Also, sorry for bringing it back up! I just come here for FPS news I swear! 

Pffffft, don't apologise. It's a completely valid thing to bring up and it's not like there's any actual game news at the moment as pretty much every leaked stream is getting shut down real fast.

4 minutes ago, Lying Cat said:

@SuperCapes And that's all fair enough. A lot of the reports that have come through about the game are that the advertising is sort of up here in tone, while the game itself is more down there, so perhaps the game will be handling it better. The thing I hope to get across about my position is that it's fine to present tropes, provided there are examples that go beyond those tropes.

This is all made much more difficult because actual awareness of trans issues and the struggles they face are really quite new to the general gaming (I guess) egregore. I certainly don't have all the answers which is why I like to talk about it, especially as it now feel very relevant to at least the marketing of a major release! And on top of it all, I feel the need to add that this is ultimately all of our hobby, something we engage in to get away from all the shit in the real world - it's fine to play games like this and have fun, but we also need to keep a critical voice even in the back of our heads.

It's surprisingly difficult to be able to hold the two opinions "I like this thing" and "I am critical of some of the things that this thing is doing". Nothing will ever improve if we don't engage with it!

Pffffft, don't apologise. It's a completely valid thing to bring up and it's not like there's any actual game news at the moment as pretty much every leaked stream is getting shut down real fast.

Couldn't agree more my friend! Like I say I come from a position of being incredibly naive at the best of times, especially when it comes to social and political commentary so I like discussing it! 

Especially here on the forum, where like you say, it's our hobby but it's good to talk about what could be better! :)

Almost scored a copy of this earlier when I was in Currys looking for a Pulse 3D headset.

PS4 version on the shelf and priced.

Took a case to the till and the girl who was serving me went to, I assume, go and get it until the "gentleman" behind me in the queue piped up "that's not out until next week!" at which point the girl turned to her colleague who nodded that that was correct.

Bollocks.

• Vemsie changed the title to Cyberpunk 2077 - Please use spoiler tags