Cyberpunk 2077 - Please use spoiler tags

I mean, any 'outrage' on display isn't about the options, it's about the crunch and the way it's been excused in some quarters - particularly for this, TLOU2 and RDR2 - as a necessary sacrifice for the "high art" that said games represent. Taking said crunch and said excuse, and comically juxtaposing them against the game's genital sliders, seems reasonably good-humoured to be honest!

2 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

I'm getting it on base PS4 too, I'm sure it'll be fine and look great, I'm just worried about loading times, and not arsed about framerate. So that's at least 3 of us enjoying the game in last-gen, not that I'm jealous of everyone elses cyber-rigs and upgraded consoles and next gen consoles, oh no sireee...

The depth of customisation is really quite bizarre. I'm almost certain Cyberpunk started out as 3rd person and they later changed it to first person otherwise there's no way they'd focus on it so much. Maybe they already had a good character creation implemented before going 1st person and there wasn't much reason to ditch it. Or maybe it just ballooned into a nice feature they could use to promote and sell copies regardless of its actual impact in-game.

On the other hand, they really took the source material to heart with this game, and part of that is pen and paper character customisation. I've seen interviews where CD game designers go on about them wanting you to have the character you want and really live out that role playing experience. If that's one of the major goals for the dev team, the depth in character customisation makes more sense. Even if you don't see your character that much, you have that ownership of them, how they look and act, and it all sells the feeling that it's uniquely *your* character.

It was always first person but originally there were third person cutaways (sounded like the modern deus ex games, cuts to third person for actions like climbing, taking cover and for cutscenes). At some point they made it all first person. 

At least they aren't selling loads of clothing microtransactions as far as I know. 

12 hours ago, David Kenny said:

I can kind of recognise that the writing is better in the Witcher 3, and that the stories are more complex, and the interaction between the characters is more human or something

I haven't played any, but was surprised by how much I enjoyed the TV series. Whereas so much footage of this reminds me of the Riddick games. Drive somewhere, eff 'n' jeff a bit, and then punch someone. Feels like it won't be Deusy enough for some people, unless those bits haven't been shown yet.

1 hour ago, Escape said:

I haven't played any, but was surprised by how much I enjoyed the TV series.

The writing in the games is better than in the tv series. Both are better written than the (nonetheless very enjoyable and fun) original books. So CDPR definitely have the in-house writing skills to outdo most TV shows and rival story driven games. Buuut it could very well be that they consciously try to emulate the somewhat cliched/corny (but nonetheless very enjoyable and fun) writing of the original Cyberpunk pen and paper, which could spoil it for some.

Unless you simply don't like the genre, you should definitely try Witcher 3 if you liked the show.

Just now, Mr. Gerbik said:

The writing in the games is better than in the tv series. Both are better written than the (nonetheless very enjoyable and fun) original books. So CDPR definitely have the in-house writing skills to outdo most TV shows and rival story driven games. Buuut it could very well be that they consciously try to emulate the somewhat cliched/corny (but nonetheless very enjoyable and fun) writing of the original Cyberpunk pen and paper, which could spoil it for some.

I enjoy the Witcher books, but they're definitely not top drawer fantasy when it comes to the writing (although I do wonder just how much of that is down to the fairly dull translations really). I love the ideas in them though - some of the earlier short stories are great fun and much better than the longer winded 'main' story that runs through the main bulk of the books I think.

I'm someone who enjoyed both the Witcher TV series and the books but couldn't get into Witcher 3 at all. I retried again during the lockdown this summer and managed to put about 10 hours into it before giving up out of sheer boredom. 

8 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

I'm someone who enjoyed both the Witcher TV series and the books but couldn't get into Witcher 3 at all. I retried again during the lockdown this summer and managed to put about 10 hours into it before giving up out of sheer boredom. 

Not necessarily strange; even if the writing is excellent if the gameplay doesn't do it for you that doesn't matter. It also takes awhile to get going, after the first introductory sandbox area is when everything becomes brilliant - including the storylines.

8 minutes ago, JoeK said:

I enjoy the Witcher books, but they're definitely not top drawer fantasy when it comes to the writing (although I do wonder just how much of that is down to the fairly dull translations really). I love the ideas in them though - some of the earlier short stories are great fun and much better than the longer winded 'main' story that runs through the main bulk of the books I think.

Yeah, Sapkowski is good at short stories but when he opens up the main thing, his control of it and general prose are very sub par. Still, he has some interesting ideas for sure. Either way the writing of CD Projekt is amongst the best in the industry easily. You can put the first Witcher on now and it still mainly holds, especially in the RPG genre.

W2 and W3 are on another level completely than almost any other game with similar aspirations - the books and tv show included imo.

8 hours ago, Wiper said:

I mean, any 'outrage' on display isn't about the options, it's about the crunch and the way it's been excused in some quarters - particularly for this, TLOU2 and RDR2 - as a necessary sacrifice for the "high art" that said games represent. Taking said crunch and said excuse, and comically juxtaposing them against the game's genital sliders, seems reasonably good-humoured to be honest!

Thanks for the explanation. As someone who was part of the dev team who made Crackdown 2 in 18 months, I'm certainly no stranger to the concept. This is an absolutely nothing thing, the highlighted slider bar, and a bit of humour injected into the game. 

Another note on crunch if you will, these big studios have nothing on the absolutely crazy hours people do on the crappier mobile phone Clash of Clans/Candy Crush rip off games. It's such a massively competitive market with so much constant content churn and it just goes right under the radar, as no nerds are interested in that junk.

4 hours ago, Escape said:

Drive somewhere, eff 'n' jeff a bit, and then punch someone.

Sometimes that's all you need...

Feels like it won't be Deusy enough for some people, unless those bits haven't been shown yet

...but yeah, I would like a bit of that, too.

2 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Thanks for the explanation. As someone who was part of the dev team who made Crackdown 2 in 18 months, I'm certainly no stranger to the concept. This is an absolutely nothing thing, the highlighted slider bar, and a bit of humour injected into the game. 

Another note on crunch if you will, these big studios have nothing on the absolutely crazy hours people do on the crappier mobile phone Clash of Clans/Candy Crush rip off games. It's such a massively competitive market with so much constant content churn and it just goes right under the radar, as no nerds are interested in that junk.

Again, yeah, I don't think anybody's displayed any bother at the 'nothing thing' that is the sliders, which was my point there.

And I can well believe that - I have a friend who worked for a few years at a (reasonably well known, mid-tier mobile developer), and left for a (reasonably well known, mid-tier console/pc game developer), and they've found the working culture to be far less oppressive in their newer role. Fortunately, as the last smartphone game I put money towards was, um, Hoplite I think, many many years ago, that's not an industry I have to worry about supporting.

image.thumb.png.63da15bf786b2efa597d6703a834fda3.png

Series X apparently has locked 30 in quality mode and unlocked framerate in performance mode (unverified bullshit from twitter and reddit, but still). 

Bearing in mind the Series X also has VRR and proper 120hz support unlike the PS5, it seems to be the slightly safer bet, but who knows how they'll actually run.

If it's uncapped you might conceivably see more than 60fps, especially if it's running at base Xbox One/X tier settings of low-medium.

I'm still a bit shocked at the number of people (less here, but certainly in other places) desperate to know whether the game will run at 60fps (or more) or not. It wasn't that long ago in console history when 30fps was considered more than sufficient generally. To note, I think that this is a good thing. 60fps not only looks better, but feels better to play - it's high time that Console users got that as standard.

The PC users posting "I need 144fps with all details on or the game is unplayable" on Reddit can get the fuck out, obviously. Number one, it's not a competitive esports FPS. Second, if you're a competitive esports person, you'll be instinctively turning all the details down.

So I bought the One X C2077 console before all the hoo-hah about CDPR. Turn it on to do the preload and no dice. Am I to understand that if you've bought the game from the store it's downloadable now? 

Edit: ignore - it somehow stealth downloaded it, which is bizarre as I haven't switch the thing on in weeks! It's 100GB and version 1.0.0.1

18 minutes ago, Moz said:

image.thumb.png.63da15bf786b2efa597d6703a834fda3.png

Series X apparently has locked 30 in quality mode and unlocked framerate in performance mode (unverified bullshit from twitter and reddit, but still). 

Bearing in mind the Series X also has VRR and proper 120hz support unlike the PS5, it seems to be the slightly safer bet, but who knows how they'll actually run.

If it's uncapped you might conceivably see more than 60fps, especially if it's running at base Xbox One/X tier settings of low-medium.

These are the stuff from Twitter people I find total shit. What the hell does it mean “performance runs much smoother than quality?” 30 locked is perfectly smooth for gaming. If he is actually saying that performance mode is 60 or higher then what the hell did he expect? 

I fucking hate these settings modes that we are getting now on consoles if I’m honest. I know it’s all about choice and I’m probably way too old but all these 1440p modes-less graphics here-more res there-less FPS here- 120 hz there are taking so much focus away from what matters. Watching digital foundry sometimes when they go zoom in to show the slight aliasing or any other meaningless detail is the stuff sensationalist press is made of.

21 minutes ago, Lying Cat said:

This is such a bizarre complaint. If you don't care about frame rates then you don't need to worry about it - games will almost always default to "eye candy on". For people like me who prioritise 60fps+ above every other graphic setting then it's absolutely fantastic option to have, and makes the new consoles a much more attractive proposition.

Stop gatekeeping what people can find interesting in this enormous, diverse hobby.

Gatekeeping? It’s just my opinion on this trend. 

5 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

Gatekeeping? It’s just my opinion on this trend. 

But using words like "meaningless" and unequivocally dismissing these new functions as "taking away from actually what matters" is pretty much it, though. People are enthused about this thing, but ultimately they're just buying into sensationalist press stuff.

Or do you think there needs to be a physical gate which you actually prevent people passing through?

3 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

Not tragic at all. It works just fine for most games if there are no stutters etc. 60 would be better of course, no one is saying otherwise.

So what's the problem when a game offers this as an option then?

24 minutes ago, deerokus said:

It depends on the game for me. 

Absolutely agree. It's totally dependent on the game. 

Anything with fast action and reflex challenge, then 60 fps all the way. 

30 fps is great for anything else, if the resources are better spent elsewhere, like visuals. 

• Vemsie changed the title to Cyberpunk 2077 - Please use spoiler tags