Cyberpunk 2077 - Please use spoiler tags

Isn't a game effectively feature-complete when it leaves Alpha? If so then presumably it hasn't been developed from scratch in 18-24 months, but has required all the content creating, polishing, debugging etc., all the stuff that doesn't exist as part of a fixed-scope presentation?

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

Isn't a game effectively feature-complete when it leaves Alpha? If so then presumably it hasn't been developed from scratch in 18-24 months, but has required all the content creating, polishing, debugging etc., all the stuff that doesn't exist as part of a fixed-scope presentation?

That's the traditional meaning - you're feature complete when it Beta. But I get the feeling that these definitions have been frayed significantly over the last few years. It feels more like a "how shonky is the thing" label, for PR terms. But you never know, that might just be the public side of it and internal classifications are far clearer.

3 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

I see we have both strands of downplaying it going: the it isn't true and the it happens everywhere. Good work everyone.

Sorry, I wasn't downplaying.  I did my time in the industry back in the 2000s.  It was the same then.  I'm just a unsurprised, I guess. 

It's awful, obviously.  All of it.  

But hey, that's Capitalism.  This kind of working behaviour is definitely not exclusive to videogames. 

16 hours ago, jonamok said:

Fantastic post over on Era about the transphobia in the game and from CDPR in general.

Whatever you think about resetera, the post is really worth a read, and the evidence it presents has impacted my excitement to play my most anticipated game for a decade, and my support for the devs.

Link here if you want to read it:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/cdpr-is-a-transphobic-company-its-time-we-stop-making-excuses-for-them.307474/

Thanks for this - that's a really important read.

It's a shame they are so politically dodgy. If it was just one of those incidents it could be a bad taste mistake, but the fact it keeps on happening...

A whole bunch of this is valid and should make a difference as to where a customer chooses to spend, but building of alternate realities may well shine lights on aspects of society that are distasteful to the now. I don't feel great about that being in the same pile unless it's at odds to the source material.

2 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Just with respect to the ads, isn’t the whole point that they’re all crass and exploitative? You know, the sort of stuff you’d expect in a dystopian hellscape?

Or in real life, to be honest. 

In isolation, perhaps. But if you read the rest of the linked post it easily demolishes this defence.

19 hours ago, jonamok said:

Fantastic post over on Era about the transphobia in the game and from CDPR in general.

Whatever you think about resetera, the post is really worth a read, and the evidence it presents has impacted my excitement to play my most anticipated game for a decade, and my support for the devs.

Link here if you want to read it:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/cdpr-is-a-transphobic-company-its-time-we-stop-making-excuses-for-them.307474/

Wow cdproject just sound like nasty pieces of work. Never even noticed that erection thing before. Just gross. Gross game. If you think you can separate the art from the artists, I have a Laurence Fox album you can listen to too.

17 minutes ago, Hello Goaty ♥ said:

So come on then?  

I have a moderate PC  with 16gb Ram  i5 9th Gen and a smelly 8gb Radeon Card.

would you think get the PC version?   or  get it on my new Xbox Series S....

not a friggin clue.    - Edit:  Will it be on Gamepass?

well, it might be better on pc now, as you could likely get 60fps, but, we don't know how the "BC" version will play like on the XsS, but, that version will get enhanced next year with ray tracing likely.

The PC version getting better depends on you making it better :P

2 hours ago, jonamok said:

In isolation, perhaps. But if you read the rest of the linked post it easily demolishes this defence.

Yeah, reading the post, it covers that quite comprehensively.

I've said before, I'm not particularly impressed by the world that CDPR have created, and some of this was pointed to as being because it's not their own Cyberpunk game, but based on a franchise (that I'm not familiar with at all), but I seriously doubt this stuff is straight from the original Cyberpunk board game. Another of the things I've been disappointed by is the very generic and stereotypical looking Latin Gang in the game. I don't know if that's because one of the main factions in the board game is a Latin gang, but I find it disappointing, regardless.

There is not a lot about this game that excites me when I look at it, except for the fact that it was made by the same people that made Witcher 3. I do wonder if the company have fallen victim to believing their own hype and CP2077 ends up being a bit of a mess, from a company that, when free of relatively strict and inoffensive source material (like W3), is at very best, quite tone deaf.

1 hour ago, yashiro said:

It's the type of shite you'd expect from a load of Polish fantasy nerds locked in a room. I don't find it particularly offensive. Certainly less offensive than people telling me what I should think.

You can’t say anything these days!

The cards are pure cringe and the mainstream have thankfully moved on from these sort of problematic depictions (and how this impacts women). But the trans stuff? Is it offensive if I tell you it’s gross at best and harmful at worst and any non-TERF should find that sort of thing gross too? 

Is it important to know about the inner workings of companies to make better informed and more ethical purchasing decisions? Yes.

Has ResetEra fully latched onto attacking CDPR to a wildly disproportionate degree because the sort of people who read ResetEra, desperate to feel like they have influence, lap that shit up? Also yes.

It's the same old stuff being dredged up. GOG isn't even the same company as CDPR, and they fired the freelance community manager who made a shitty tweet on the same day. How does this reflect on CDPR's studio culture? There are lots of cases of companies doing much more egregious shit (THQNordic, Ubisoft, Rockstar) and there being no consequences. It just feels a bit inconsistent.

I expect Polish/Eastern European studios to have somewhat murky politics internally - that's not to excuse it, it just seems to be where they are - CDPR at least seem to understand that their international prominence means they have bigger responsibilities now.

At the same time, there was a similar pre-release hullabaloo about the Witcher 3 being bigoted towards gays based on Eastern European anti-LGBT movements before release (which seems a little bigoted to me, do we assume every American game is going to have shooting up schools because it's a thing in their country?) and then it came out and had LGBT representation that was pretty thoughtful and all the arguments got immediately dropped as if it had never happened.

Hot takes on something are mostly useless until said art can actually be appreciated in its intended framing - i.e. playing it and seeing the context. In this case I'm struggling to see what context can justify what's been raised, but still.

• Vemsie changed the title to Cyberpunk 2077 - Please use spoiler tags
  • Goose changed the title to Cyberpunk 2077 - 10th December 2020