IGNORED

Cyberpunk 2077 - Please use spoiler tags

Vemsie

I’ve taken a break from this because I got distracted by 60fps Horizon, but yeah Cyberpunk’s a good game.

The thing I can’t get over with the reaction to it (outside the bugs) is that it is totally sci-fi Witcher 3, with arguably better combat and much enhanced role playing. It’s exactly the game I would have expected the makers of Witcher 3 to create.

I really don’t get why the many people who loved that game wouldn’t adore Cyberpunk, unless of course they were playing the broken old console versions. 

Really, there was only one point where I thought 'This is totally broken', on base PS4 (and wondered if I could even get past it) and that was the on-rails bit early on, 

Spoiler

escaping from the junk yard being pursued by Yakuza.

I have no idea how I got past - frame rate was down to single figures, ninjas were spawning randomly, and I could not control anything.

Otherwise, glitches a-plenty, but nothing that stopped me having a great game.

It's a good game, but anyone suggesting it's the game of the year.much less decade has lost the run of themselves. 

It has a remarkable sense of place. The story will keep your attention and some of the side quests are very good. 

But it doesn't quite hold together. The main quests and side quests are done quite quickly, and what's left when they are done is a bit mindless. The story itself moves really fast in a way not really consistent with an open world game, and Keanu ranges from fun to annoying. Act One feels like a missed opportunity to set things up before forcing the big change. Side quests vary, and it feels like there should be a few more endings to tie in with them. You get stupidly, murder everything in sight powerful very quickly, there's way to much inventory to manage for no real gain and the driving mechanics are jumpy at best. 

It is also riddled with bugs. I have had something like 10 straight crash outs on my Xbox, first S then X which is a record by a massive margin. Then there's all the weird stuff that happens. My favourite was when I called my bike and it appeared under cars and jumped then up. 

Ultimately its just a really good open world game. No more or less. But it seemed to promise a lot more and I think that's why people are disappointed. 

I wasn't a huge fan of the story, to be honest: both of the main characters were arseholes, pretty much regardless of how you tried to play the one you were in charge of, and I didn't really get on with the endings either

Spoiler

particularly the fact that there's no way of V having any kind of happy ending, which I'm sure is terribly grown up writing but is also a bit rubbish when you've invested all that time only to be greeted with her abandoning the relationship you cultivated and promptly dying from the affliction you spent the entire game battling against.

Ultimately, I don't think it matters that much because, regardless, anyone that's into videogames and/or sci-fi owes it to themselves to get immersed in the stunningly realised, all too plausible, near-future world that CDPR have constructed here, and especially now that the vast majority of the (glaring) bugs have been eradicated.

37 minutes ago, smac said:

Really, there was only one point where I thought 'This is totally broken', on base PS4 (and wondered if I could even get past it) and that was the on-rails bit early on, 

Hide contents

escaping from the junk yard being pursued by Yakuza.

I have no idea how I got past - frame rate was down to single figures, ninjas were spawning randomly, and I could not control anything.

Otherwise, glitches a-plenty, but nothing that stopped me having a great game.

Probably worth noting it ran like a dream on my PC, except I had the same problems at that bit in the sense that you have very little impact on what's happening.

5 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

But the reason it got pulled was for offering a more generous refund policy than the store, which seems to be a Sony no-no.

It actually comes across as a more consumer-friendly attempt to get in front of the criticisms that got punished, and it's a bit shit to weaponise a good-faith effort to do right against CDPR, when there's no infamous reaction and hanging around stigma for Ubisoft or EA or whoever launching games that literally break and won't load up for days or weeks who proceed to do fuck all about refunds and continue selling the game.

I haven't played it on either a base PS4 or XB1 so am totally reliant on the noise made at the time, but I don't think them offering a refund is all that great when they were happy enough to release the game for those consoles in a such a poor state in the first place (and I'm sure plenty of people will have bought it for those systems but not heard about the refund option for whatever reason.) 

32 minutes ago, Gabe said:

I haven't played it on either a base PS4 or XB1 so am totally reliant on the noise made at the time, but I don't think them offering a refund is all that great when they were happy enough to release the game for those consoles in a such a poor state in the first place

I dunno, compare that to say No More Heroes 3, which runs at something like 25% resolution on Switch and single-digit framerates. That's far worse than Cyberpunk on last-gen consoles, and that game doesn't even offer refunds? Where's the backlash, dragging the game's name and the developer through the mud, the hostile media articles? They don't exist, in fact the game is being treated really rather charitably.

It'd be easier to just admit the circlejerk against Cyberpunk was completely disproportionate and arbitrary, because creating a consistent standard that includes Cyberpunk and excludes everything else that didn't get a backlash would be impossible.

20 minutes ago, Gabe said:

I haven't played it on either a base PS4 or XB1 so am totally reliant on the noise made at the time, but I don't think them offering a refund is all that great when they were happy enough to release the game for those consoles in a such a poor state in the first place (and I'm sure plenty of people will have bought it for those systems but not heard about the refund option for whatever reason.) 

Plenty of games have been released in a completely broken state but no way was there online and retail store funds offered by the dev like this from memory ever. 

15 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

I dunno, compare that to say No More Heroes 3, which runs at something like 25% resolution on Switch and single-digit framerates. That's far worse than Cyberpunk on last-gen consoles, and that game doesn't even offer refunds? Where's the backlash, dragging the game's name and the developer through the mud, the hostile media articles? They don't exist.

It'd be easier to just admit the circlejerk against Cyberpunk was completely disproportionate and arbitrary, because creating a consistent standard that includes Cyberpunk and excludes everything else that didn't get a backlash would be impossible.

It's so weird - stuff like Fallout 76 existed which was so much more broken - refunds were blocked - and unlike CP2077 is not a good game regardless and yet Bethesda are held in the highest regard still in comparison to CDPR

LOL

1 hour ago, RubberJohnny said:

I dunno, compare that to say No More Heroes 3, which runs at something like 25% resolution on Switch and single-digit framerates. That's far worse than Cyberpunk on last-gen consoles, and that game doesn't even offer refunds? Where's the backlash, dragging the game's name and the developer through the mud, the hostile media articles? They don't exist, in fact the game is being treated really rather charitably.

This is bollocks, frankly. The problem with Cyberpunk is that it was sold as a PS4 and Xbox One game yet ran like dogshit on those systems, your only chance to get a playable experience was if you were playing on Series X|S or PS5 (or PC obviously) PS4 and Xbox One customers were shafted, and excusing it because you can come up with other examples of games that run poorly is neither here nor there. 

55 minutes ago, Uzi said:

It's so weird - stuff like Fallout 76 existed which was so much more broken - refunds were blocked - and unlike CP2077 is not a good game regardless and yet Bethesda are held in the highest regard still in comparison to CDPR

LOL

I actually bought FO76 in a moment of weakness, and despite being a Fallout fan and a Fallout lover I hated it. Hating on CDPR is in fashion these days. Hating on Cyberpunk2077 is the easiest thing you can do, and I bet it makes you feel smart doing it. 

25 minutes ago, Stanley said:

The problem with Cyberpunk is that it was sold as a PS4 and Xbox One game yet ran like dogshit on those systems

And No More Heroes 3 was sold as a Switch game and ran like dogshit on it, I mean despite insisting it's "neither here nor there" it seems to be a valid comparison.

27 minutes ago, Stanley said:

This is bollocks, frankly. The problem with Cyberpunk is that it was sold as a PS4 and Xbox One game yet ran like dogshit on those systems, your only chance to get a playable experience was if you were playing on Series X|S or PS5 (or PC obviously) PS4 and Xbox One customers were shafted, and excusing it because you can come up with other examples of games that run poorly is neither here nor there. 

Nope. PS4 owner here. I had a great time playing it, even before the first patch landed.

1 minute ago, RubberJohnny said:

And No More Heroes 3 was sold as a Switch game and ran like dogshit on it, I mean despite insisting it's "neither here nor there" it seems to be a valid comparison.

Is it though? I’m ignorant when it comes to NMH3 but has it had anywhere near the backlash Cyberpunk had? 

15 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Is it though? I’m ignorant when it comes to NMH3 but has it had anywhere near the backlash Cyberpunk had? 

It's almost like that was exactly my point? It's far worse technically than Cyberpunk ever was, the developer and publisher hasn't done anything consumer friendly in response like offer refunds as CDPR did and yet it hasn't had any of the critical media articles, a Gamer circlejerk attack, or dragged the name of the developer or game through the mud, if anything it's been given the benefit of the doubt.

Literally my core point laid out in the very post you responded to: the circlejerk against Cyberpunk was completely disproportionate and arbitrary by any metric or comparison you come up with.

13 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

The difference is that Switch players are a part of a cult. 

9 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

It's almost like that was exactly my point? It's far worse technically than Cyberpunk ever was, the developer and publisher hasn't done anything consumer friendly in response like offer refunds as CDPR did and yet it hasn't had any of the critical media articles, a Gamer circlejerk attack, or drag the name of the developer or game through the mud.

Literally my core point laid out in the very post you responded to: the circlejerk against Cyberpunk was completely disproportionate and arbitrary.

You’ll have to forgive my ignorance, but are customers really up In arms about NMH3? 

Also you’re comparing a niche title which runs on one platform, the Switch, with possibly the most hyped videogame of all time. CDPR had ambitions which weren’t met, no way is Cyberpunk the game they hyped it up to be - for years and years up until its release. They’re not beholden to a publisher, they basically over promised and massively under delivered. 

Comparing them to a developer whose whole schtick is his weird anachronistic janky way of making games, to the point it almost becomes the selling point, is kind of ridiculous. 

18 minutes ago, Stanley said:

You’ll have to forgive my ignorance, but are customers really up In arms about NMH3?

OK, so you're just being disingenuous or not even reading what I write. Good to know.

with possibly the most hyped videogame of all time. CDPR had ambitions which weren’t met, no way is Cyberpunk the game they hyped it up to be - for years and years up until its release. They’re not beholden to a publisher, they basically over promised and massively under delivered. 

Hang on, you said the backlash earlier was over technical aspects, now it's something completely different? Are you admitting your post was a load of crap, and my point saying it wasn't really about the technical aspects was correct?

Just now, RubberJohnny said:

OK, so you're just being disingenuous or not even reading what I write. Good to know.

Not at all, do you think customers who enjoyed NMH 1&2 and bought NMH3 are disappointed or requesting refunds? Do you think they have been mis-sold? 

There’s not some grand conspiracy against CDPR here, it’s in your head. 

They’ve obviously had such a strong backlash because, as Stanley says, they massively over promised and underdelivered. So many people bought into the hype and for a lot of those it came up short.

The attacks on them and the way it’s been reported that it’s a broken mess have been massively inflated though, because it’s nowhere near as bad as a lot of people are making out, but it is partially their own doing.

35 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Hang on, you said the backlash earlier was over technical aspects, now it's something completely different? Are you admitting your post was a load of crap, and my point saying it wasn't really about the technical aspects was correct?

Technical aspects were part of it, unless you’re arguing that there aren’t or weren’t technical issues, specifically with the base game, that massively undermined performance and the players enjoyment. 

I dunno dude, believe what you want, but you’re really reaching by asking why NMH3 hasn’t had the same backlash. 

I would argue they're all just kinda junky arguments thrown out as a shield for the actual reason, which tends to slip through when someone's being pinned down on the easily-discarded front arguments (as happened ITT just now). All these capital-G gamer circlejerks are the same, you have your pretend argument out front (it's actually about ethics in game journalism!) and then your hidden real position, which is usually about tribalistic punishment or gatekeeping.

40 minutes ago, AceGrace said:

I bought it at launch on Xbox but I haven't played it yet. I'm waiting for the Series X patch

Perversely, I suspect right at this moment, the game is going to run as well as it's going to for a long long time. I have lingering worries that when they bung in all the ray-tracing and other bits and pieces, the whole thing's going to make the consoles explode.

I mean, it makes my PC blow a gale whenever I boot it up.

God bless headphones is what I say.

5 hours ago, JPL said:

They’ve obviously had such a strong backlash because, as Stanley says, they massively over promised and underdelivered. So many people bought into the hype and for a lot of those it came up short.

The attacks on them and the way it’s been reported that it’s a broken mess have been massively inflated though, because it’s nowhere near as bad as a lot of people are making out, but it is partially their own doing.

It was bad. I can forgive a certain amount of jank, and consoles near the end of their life can get pushed harder than they should. But Cyberpunk hit Perfect Dark framerates on base consoles, had a mountain of weird bugs and I find the amount of times it has straight crashed out on me - even after multiple patches and a Series X unforgivable. 

I think the PS4 version is up to minimally acceptable now. But they just decided to target high end PCs and new consoles and ignored the base machines. Deserved all they got and hopefully a lesson to others. 

I think I’ve played one game on the Switch that could do with a performance improvement (Enter the Gungeon, which I’ve put a ridiculous amount of time into), so it can’t be that prevalent.